Scenic car camping spots accessible in CO right now?

vision-quest

Observer
Hey guys, I'm looking for some scenic car-camping spots in CO, preferably close to Boulder that I can set up my RTT and takes some images for the company. No places where you obviously would not actually be allowed to camp.

acodwell

I'm interested in this too. What's the winter camping scene like in colorado? What roads are open this time of year?
I live near boulder as well, but am willing to make a drive.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Winter camping in Colorado typically involves driving over to Utah. :)

If you want mountains, the options are pretty limited in the winter, especially around Boulder. Best bet is to head south to the San Luis Valley or Buena Vista area where they don't receive a lot of snow. More options for public lands that won't be covered in snow. Or head due south to areas near Deckers where the snow might be less significant due to the lower elevation.

Rotorgeek

Adventurer
Winter camping in Colorado typically involves driving over to Utah. :)
No way man!

You just have to have a general idea of where you want to go and some extra time to see if it's snowed in/out. Not a lot of people camp in the winter, unless they are hunting, so the reports on closures are few and far between.

I don't know Boulder that well, but check out the area near the Moffet tunnel. Lots of hunting camps and interesting valley views near there.

K2ZJ

Explorer
What is "close to Boulder"? Lefthand Canyon or Leadville? There are many parking lots, especially near trail heads, that get plowed in the winter for winter activities. I have spent the night in several with no problems. Drive until you find one, or if your willing to drive I can give some specific spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94