Any lexus gx/ls 470 builds?

cragrat

Hello, long time lurker, not much of a poster.
Im looking for some help cause i am a jeeper, deep rooted, but i cant find an lj that i want for what im willing to pay. I build a jeep every 3/5 years and sell em for my next project. Ive been doing this since highschool, iv built every generation since my 81 cj 7 all the way to an 06 rubicon. Iv built a 2004 landcruiser 100, after twins, and it is the best rig I've ever owned. Traded it and bought a 2012 jk rubi and this thing leaks. Im doing my best, the dealer is "doing their best" and i have water front to rear when it rain.?I have my eyes on a 2008 gx470, good deal, very clean, and 100k miles. How many folks have tried the prada/lx470 build. Btw i dont build big rigs, they just have to get me from the house and back to the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

470Lexi

I don't have a link to mine since I'm just doing a quick reply from my phone but I've got an 04 gx470 with a full icon lift, 35's now, arb bumper, etc

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
There are several builds in the 120 forum over on IH8MUD.

I'm actually looking to get rid of my GX to go to a 100 series (which is what I was looking for when I bought my GX). So personally, I prefer the LC/LX to the GX. But I am also keeping mine close to stock. I think the more you are looking to modify it, the GX starts to look better.

The advantages of doing a GX build would be:

Cheaper initial cost
Better power to weight - The GX has the VVti engine starting in 2005. I don't think the LC/LX got it until 2006.
Since you would be modifying the suspension, you would be getting rid of the biggest gripe of the GX - the airbag suspension.
The GX is smaller and presumably easier to maneuver on the trails.
Strut versus torsion bar front suspension - not sure which is better for the trails, but I would guess the GX may be easier to lift higher.

That said, I still hate the swing out rear door on the GX. I thought I would get used to it, but it is simply a bad idea in my opinion. Beyond that, there are a lot of shared parts between the GX and LC/LX and also between the GX and the FJ/4Runner. Aftermarket isn't as good for the GX, but there is probably at least a vendor or two for any part you'd want (bumpers/sliders/skid plates).

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
We just had a build come through the shop this week for phase 1 which consisted of suspension (Old Man Emu with Light Racing UCA's), bumper (ARB w/Warn 10k) and snorkel (Safari Snorkel). Phase two will be sliders and an Eezi-Awn roof rack. I think he is planning wheels tires shortly.

ferg_1 (Small).jpg

ferg_gx_470_2 (Small).jpg

ferg_gx_470_1 (Small).jpg

ferg_2 (Small).jpg

ferg_3 (Small).jpg

I'll see if the owner (Ferg) has a build thread on Mud or any other forums to link. It's a super neat rig and the ride was pretty impressive in the short bit of time I was behind the wheel. I think the GX470 is a killer platform, the 2UZFE rocks, suspension options are far and wide and they can be found in clean/low mile options.

Topgun15v

We just had a build come through the shop this week for phase 1 which consisted of suspension (Old Man Emu with Light Racing UCA's), bumper (ARB w/Warn 10k) and snorkel (Safari Snorkel). Phase two will be sliders and an Eezi-Awn roof rack. I think he is planning wheels tires shortly.

View attachment 315000

View attachment 314999

View attachment 314998

View attachment 315001

View attachment 315002

I'll see if the owner (Ferg) has a build thread on Mud or any other forums to link. It's a super neat rig and the ride was pretty impressive in the short bit of time I was behind the wheel. I think the GX470 is a killer platform, the 2UZFE rocks, suspension options are far and wide and they can be found in clean/low mile options.

Wow that Gx looks amazing great build so far.

My wife has a GX and I can tell you the airbags in the rear and the back door are horrible. Everything else is amazing. A truly great rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Wow that Gx looks amazing great build so far.

We were really happy with how everything turned out.

My wife has a GX and I can tell you the airbags in the rear and the back door are horrible. Everything else is amazing. A truly great rig...

The airbags are often cursed, particularly when they fail. Ferg (the owner) had nothing but good things to say about the ride quality after the airbags were replaced in favor or the OME suspension.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I have to say, I have been thoroughly unimpressed with my stock GX suspension and it has brand new OEM shocks to the tune of over $1000. It has a lot going for it, but the complicated, failure-prone, and poor performing stock suspension isn't one of them. Thankfully, converting is fairly economical. Not knowing how it handled new, I bought the OEM shocks figuring it must ride spectacularly. Nope. I could have spent half the money and had traditional coils in the back and decent shocks all around. Live and learn.

WhiteH2O

Observer
There are quite a few of us with modified GXs. You will find more over on the Toyota: FJ, Hilux, Tacoma, 4Runner page instead of this one. A few build threads also.

I have one, but don't have a build thread. This is how mine stands right now:

tiXTFhhl.jpg

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
There are quite a few of us with modified GXs. You will find more over on the Toyota: FJ, Hilux, Tacoma, 4Runner page instead of this one. A few build threads also.

I have one, but don't have a build thread. This is how mine stands right now:

tiXTFhhl.jpg

Nice truck! I dig the GX platform and would consider it for sure on a future build.

cragrat

Thanks for all the replies! I'm pretty excited about starting the new project cause it looks like I have plenty of options with the platform. Which has completely surprised me. So what do y'all have to say about the ride, albeit squishy it sure is smooth. I had a local shop lift a 100 series about two inches in the front and leveled the rear and I couldn't tell the difference in the rid, even with the 33's I had on it. But, it was wrecked twice before I got it and I wasn't happy with the way it was put back together. What back spacing are y'all using to alleviate the rubbing on a 275/70r17? Kinda hoping I can find some Trd wheels to do the job. I like the idea of building the rig the way I think the factory should have done it the first time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94