Best engine and trim level to get for Subaru Outback?

Styer

Adventurer
1 qt per oil change interval is normal per subaru.

it was 1qt in 1400mi, NOT 1qt in 7000mi oil change interval(that would equate to 5qts of oil in the 7000mi oil change interval, which is just shy of how much oil the engine holds. Guess Subaru wanted to design an engine that never needed oil changes :oops: and all you have to do is add more :D). I really really wanted to love my outback. Especially since it was a 5spd.

its a design issue with their new FB family of engines which includes both the 2.5 in the outback and 2.0 they use in the rest of their models. thus my recomendation for a pre 2010 to avoid both the FB engines and the CVTs. There have also been some complaints of oil burners with the 6cyl too but I am not as familiar with that issue and there is less data since they dont sell as many 6cyl as they do 4cyl.

Read more here

And much much much more in this thread

Last edited:

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
3000 is typical interval for 15+ under severe conditions (pretty much everyone)

Ill take it for the heaps and bounds of better somfort, offroad tech and ability

calicamper

Expedition Leader
it was 1qt in 1400mi, NOT 1qt in 7000mi oil change interval(that would equate to 5qts of oil in the 7000mi oil change interval, which is just shy of how much oil the engine holds. Guess Subaru wanted to design an engine that never needed oil changes :oops: and all you have to do is add more :D). I really really wanted to love my outback. Especially since it was a 5spd.

its a design issue with their new FB family of engines which includes both the 2.5 in the outback and 2.0 they use in the rest of their models. thus my recomendation for a pre 2010 to avoid both the FB engines and the CVTs. There have also been some complaints of oil burners with the 6cyl too but I am not as familiar with that issue and there is less data since they dont sell as many 6cyl as they do 4cyl.

Read more here

And much much much more in this thread

2012 was the last yr before the new engine family using the tech that has a higher chance of oil use. Not 09 and earlier. The 3.6 is the oldest in the line up now and is not affected by this lowfriction / rings oil use issue that seems to be an issue for several Auto makers not just Subaru.

Styer

Adventurer
3000 is typical interval for 15+ under severe conditions (pretty much everyone)

Ill take it for the heaps and bounds of better somfort, offroad tech and ability

Please don't be providing people with false information. Its not helpful.

Previously I was writing from memory but here is the 14' Subaru Outback Maintenance Schedule which states 7500mi oil change intervals.

Also 13' Outback Maintenance Schedule shows the same information.

It was reduced in 2015 for the same FB25 engine to 6000mi to help hide this issue. 15' Subaru Outback Maintenance Schedule

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Please don't be providing people with false information. Its not helpful.
previously I was writing from memory but here is the 14' Subaru Outback Maintenance Schedule which states 7500mi oil change intervals. Also 13' Outback Maintenance Schedule shows the same information.
It was reduced in 2015 for the same FB25 engine to 6000mi to help hide this issue. 15' Subaru Outback Maintenance Schedule
The 2010's even with the older EJ was max 7500 harsh suggested was 5000. 3000 hasn't been suggested since pre 2005 non turbo models.

Styer

Adventurer
2012 was the last yr before the new engine family using the tech that has a higher chance of oil use. Not 09 and earlier. The 3.6 is the oldest in the line up now and is not affected by this lowfriction / rings oil use issue that seems to be an issue for several Auto makers not just Subaru.

you're absolutly correct. my suggestion of pre 2010 was to avoid the FB engines in the 13+ and the CVTs in the 10+. sorry if that wasnt clear.

Last edited:

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Edit:
5,000 Miles for severe weather states with synthetic

the 3,000 was misquoted

besides. oil consumption hasn't been reported almost anywhere on the 15+

FordGuy1

Adventurer
My wife drives a loaded 15' with the six, I cant imagine driving something with less power, it needs about 40 more! In the mountains I ring its neck all the time. I will say I got 27mpg on the 5 fwy at 80mph.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't be affraid of the CVT. Its done very well. I was not a cvt guy at all, but the 2010 and newer mt had too many limitations, throttle nanny on the suggestion pedal and from experience having lived with a 5pd mt for 180,000 miles lacking lower gearing I caved and got the cvt. Today after 5yrs of use I'd go cvt again but would probably opt for the old tried and true 3.6 vs the new 2.5. If I wanted the 2.5 I'd get a 2016 or 17 or 18. I would probably avoid the 13-15 2.5.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Great info folks, lots for us to think about. :) We'll definitely test drive both engines and see which will suit us best. Our mountain highways hover between 2000 and 4000 feet, so performance and the ability to hold 120km/h while loaded on those hills would be really nice.

LionZoo

Observer
I have a 2016 Forester and it's burned about 0.3 quarts in 2,200 miles. In otherwords, not really an issue. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the oil gets burned on long road trips when the oil gets time to settle at around 210 degrees. My guess is the 0W20 that is spec'd is marginal and when it warms up, the new low friction rings (with lower spring forces!) are insufficient to prevent such a thin oil from blowing by. I'm planning to change to German Castrol (a thick 0W30) and am hoping that stops any real consumption.

By the way guys, first post here. Hi everyone!

dman93

Adventurer
For any Subaru that sees off-pavement use, even before (or instead of) a lift I'd recommend a Primitive Racing skid plate. Cheap insurance. I think the Subarus are the only "CUV" for which you can buy real skidplates, at lest in the US, for both the front engine area and the rear diff. I had them on my Forester, and they gave me the confidence to carry speed through sections that would otherwise require painful clutch slipping. Also, though I'm an MT guy, I'd get an auto or CVT if I were getting another Subie; unless you're sticking to smooth roads the gearing is just too tall for crawling through or over obstacles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior