Animal bites.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I learned from Mark and Lance at the AZ wilderness med class to carry a syringe. We broke up a bad dog fight on a trail ride this weekend and an EMT we had with us used my syringe to flush out out the dog bites we got on us. He filled it with bottled water and gave each puncture a few solid strong squirts. I never thought I'd need it but all my punctures look great with the exception of one we missed through the commotion. It's a little red and oozing. We wished we had peroxide but what is the best wilderness way to clean up bite wounds? The vet took care of Buddy.

image.jpg

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Bummer, sorry to hear about your Buddy. Looks like a pretty bad bite on his neck. After you cleaned out the wounds with the syringe, did you bandage him up and get him to the vet ASAP? Hope he heals up fast!

Arclight

SAR guy
Look at Wilderness protocol #2:

https://www.wildmed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/wma-field-protocols.pdf

The wording is a little bit opaque, but flushing a bite with clean drinking water or a mild solution of clean water and Povidine Iodine (we were taught to add a few drops until "weak tea" color is attained) is the right way to treat a bite. Also scrub the area and remove any foreign matter. Using a syringe to get the water pressurized really helps with flushing things out.

Hopefully, you know that both dogs have had their shots.

Also, don't try to suture or otherwise close a narrow, deep wound. You're just going to trap all of the bacteria and other bits in there. You want it to be left open to drain until it closes naturally.

FYI, I did something very similar when my dog got attacked by a coyote. I shaved her fur, washed her off, and flushed about six deep punctures with the weak Iodine solution and a 25cc syringe. She had already received a recent rabies shot and healed up without incident.

Arclight

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I have not seen iodine in a long time. I'll look for a bottle and remember your ice tea color suggestion. Thanks Arklight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles