Colorado FWC Ute Flatbed Build

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
I'll second the more pics request! I'm intrigued about the difficulty of removing the camper. I anticipated it to be more difficult than you are indicating.

Has anybody done something like this on a Tundra? Might be nice to go just a little bigger for a family camper. Nice build!

:drool:

TVoverlander

More Photos

Per your request, a few more photos. I don't have that many as the Moab trip was the first trip for the new camper. I'm heading to Baja with the "Ol Farts" in late December and will be sure to take many photos.

Attached is another view of the interior looking towards the queen size bed. This extends out towards the center/stove top for those that are taller than 5"8ish. I am only 5'6 and can sleep crossways.

I haven't tried to remove the camper as I just had it installed and am in the "testing phase", I imagine it will take an hour or two to unbolt the four bolts and remove the wiring harness which plug in. This is assuming one has already installed the four jack stands of course.

Appreciate all of the great feedback!

Attachments

• DSC00681.jpg
    DSC00681.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00674.jpg
    DSC00674.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00689.jpg
    DSC00689.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 104

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Is the primary benefit to the UTE bed the build the size of the camper you are able to put on the vehicle? I'm trying to evaluate what you get for the extra difficulty and money besides and AWESOME looking rig. Can you explain what additional space/storage you gained via this build?

Thanks for the info!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Is the primary benefit to the UTE bed the build the size of the camper you are able to put on the vehicle? I'm trying to evaluate what you get for the extra difficulty and money besides and AWESOME looking rig. Can you explain what additional space/storage you gained via this build?

Thanks for the info!

You pick up some additional floor space that would normally be lost to the wheel wells (which greatly enhances traffic flow inside the camper), but IMO, equally as important is that with no bed sides, you can move the door to the side of the camper. This, in turn, allows you to put the dinette at the rear of the camper instead of the front. This frees up space farther forward for heavier items (water tank, fridge, etc), giving you better weight distribution.

In short, you get more square footage, better traffic flow, & better weight distribution. The flat bed model on a Tacoma "feels" bigger than a Grandby on a full size truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You pick up some additional floor space that would normally be lost to the wheel wells (which greatly enhances traffic flow inside the camper), but IMO, equally as important is that with no bed sides, you can move the door to the side of the camper. This, in turn, allows you to put the dinette at the rear of the camper instead of the front. This frees up space farther forward for heavier items (water tank, fridge, etc), giving you better weight distribution.

In short, you get more square footage, better traffic flow, & better weight distribution. The flat bed model on a Tacoma "feels" bigger than a Grandby on a full size truck.
The seating position across the back seems to make a large impact on the functional space.

Durango

Adventurer
Our all aluminum custom flatbed weighs 190# less (even with the four RC boxes) than the original Ram steel bed. Good thing because the FB Hawk is 450# heavier than the old Hawk! (I believe FWC says 300# more plus we added more options, etc.)

I will say putting it on and removing it would be a MUCH more complicated procedure than on a slide-in. (Especially since we used 6 grade 8 bolts for attachment.) We plan for it to be a permanent install.

20151023_094017 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Durango

Adventurer
The seating position across the back seems to make a large impact on the functional space.
X2. Both the traffic pattern and the visual "illusion of space" is MUCH better than on our slide-in Hawk.

Even after I modified the slide-in to the side dinette on the old Hawk the new FB feels MUCH more roomy. Positively luxurious. On our first night Sioux said, "We could live in here!" And who knows, we just might! :)

ebnelson

Looks very nice. I wanted to get the Grandby flatbed version when we were shopping a year ago. Durango, did you measure the bed height difference between the stock and UTE beds? I read somewhere else that the UTE bed ended up being only 8" higher.

Durango

Adventurer
Looks very nice. I wanted to get the Grandby flatbed version when we were shopping a year ago. Durango, did you measure the bed height difference between the stock and UTE beds? I read somewhere else that the UTE bed ended up being only 8" higher.
Yes, that is an issue with the aluminum models since their structure needs to be oversized compared to steel cross members. I wanted the overhead cab part of the camper to be no more than 2 1/2" off my cab rook so I actually built my fabricators a camper profile mock-up of the camper. Largo Tank in Farmington, NM did the work and they did a fantastic job for a very fair price.

Oddly enough, the toughest part of the build by far was choosing a company to fabricate an ALUMINUM flat bed. Most only want to work with the much easier steel beds. I really recommend Largo Tank. If you call ask to speak with Adam.

ebnelson

Looks like they hit your spec. A lot of the FWC flatbeds have a large gap to the cab. Looks great! Do you know how much higher the deck of the flatbed is vs the bottom of your old bed? Did you sell your old bed?

Durango

Adventurer
Looks like they hit your spec. A lot of the FWC flatbeds have a large gap to the cab. Looks great! Do you know how much higher the deck of the flatbed is vs the bottom of your old bed? Did you sell your old bed?
I believe it is 5" higher. But Largo had to re-design it several times. Now they say they have it nailed.

And yes, they have a buyer that comes through and I got 400.00 for the old bed. (Which was in pristine condition.) If I had wanted to mess with Craigslist I could have gotten more.

Durango

Adventurer
Nice looking rig Durango. How does the truck handle the weight?
Pretty good. (I added air bags with my lighter slide in Hawk just to even the truck out.) But even with a 3/4 ton truck I'm actually about 300# over GVW with full fuel and water. But again, I find the truck handles very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz