How serious is this damage? R50 Pathfinder

PrecisionX

Observer
So I took off the plastic shield to get to my oil filter on my recently bought pathfinder and found this. It looks like someone slid into a rock or something. How serious is this?

XPLORx4

Adventurer
OMG, that's pretty serious. The subframe is bent. I'm surprised you don't have all sorts of alignment and steering issues! You should definitely consider having the subframe replaced. It's not cheap, though, as replacing the subframe will involve a lot of labor. You can probably obtain a used subframe assembly from a wrecking yard. I think new subframes are approx $400-$500.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
Check for other damage underneath, such as the oil pan, transmission pan, transfer case, fuel tank skid plate. The degree to which that subframe is bent indicates a very hard hit at a moderate speed (~15-20mph) which, if the object did not move during the collision, would have passed beneath the truck and potentially hit other parts, too.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
If that's all that's dented and your alignment isn't off it might not be too bad I guess? Looks scary though. Is there any cracking there?

PrecisionX

Observer
The front tires were super worn on the inside hence the replacement. They aligned it yesterday after the new tires and it rides fine, straight too but if this is a serious issue than I need to re evaluate. If it's as simple as bolting a new crossmember in whatever. I don't think the crossmember of this rig is welded. I think it's bolted but I'm not a pro

PrecisionX

Observer
There aren't any leaks or anything. I contacted the seller and he said he slid into a snowbank and had to get winched out 2 years ago. Nothing seems to be damaged besides that part.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
The crossmember isn't welded to the unibody, but lots of parts bolt to it, including the lower suspension, the steering rack, front differential, and engine mounts. You will need to support the engine somehow when the subframe is not installed. So, while it technically is a bolt-on, I wouldn't call it simple.

Part #18 ($515 new)

93e605fd5f431567ae9b59994727cfab.png

PrecisionX

Observer
That looks like the whole front end basically needs to be taken apart. In MA there is a lemon law that states if you have to spend 10 percent of what you paid for the vehicle they need to buy it back. This guy was good to me but I don't think something this serious should be left unpaid for. Do you think this is something that can be repaired for a grand? Or is it going to be worse than that?

shmabs

Explorer
That's one hell of a snow bank to do that kind of damage!!!

If you use the above example of 515 for the part, that only leaves your 5 hours of labor at 100 and hour to exceed your 1k mark. I imagine most shops are going to come in north of 1k to get that repaired.

The alignment shop didn't notice that?

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles