Trailer hitch

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
My Taco came without the tow package and I want to add a tow hitch. I don't do any heavy pulling, just my little ute trailer with the Maggiolina with a max. weight of 2000lbs.

For the original Toyota hitch the dealer wants $398.00 :smileeek: plus installation (for safty reason; they don't think customers are able to torque down four bolts correctly themselves and they ahve to charge I-don't-remember-how-much for an expert to do it)

Hidden hitch and draw tite both cost around $130 online; both mount to the original mounting locations on the frame. If the pics are correct, the draw tite is a straight bar and somewhat lighter while the hidden hitch is slightly curved (probably for clearing better the spare wheel, might be an issue down the road because when my current tires are shot, I will move up one tire size to 265/75-16) and a little bit heavier. Both are rated for 5000 lbs and 500 lbs tongue weight. Anybody has experience or recommandations?

Thanks!

atavuss

Adventurer
I am using a Valley Industries brand 2" reciever hitch. it tucks up pretty well for excellent ground clearance, no part of it hangs below the spare tire. I think I paid around 99.00 for it since I had a coupon for a local truck acces. place. very easy to install too.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Willman said:
I have a 01' stock hitch that is forsale if it can fit your 06' taco....
Thanks, buddy! Unluckily the trailer hitches for the '01 don't work for the '05/06.

I followed atawuss' sugestion and ordered a Valley hitch as it is actually the only one attaching to the frame and the rear bumper. It also has a higher weight rating than the Hidden Hitch or the Draw Tite - not that I really need a hitch rated for 6,000lbs but anyhow - and is one of the least expensive.

Looks like a winner to me :victory:

Willman

The Swiss said:
Thanks, buddy! Unluckily the trailer hitches for the '01 don't work for the '05/06.

I followed atawuss' sugestion and ordered a Valley hitch as it is actually the only one attaching to the frame and the rear bumper. It also has a higher weight rating than the Hidden Hitch or the Draw Tite - not that I really need a hitch rated for 6,000lbs but anyhow - and is one of the least expensive.

Looks like a winner to me :victory:

Thats what i thought!!! It was worth a try.....
Good luck with the new hitch!!!!!
:ylsmoke:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Valley Hitch

atavuss said:
I am using a Valley Industries brand 2" reciever hitch. it tucks up pretty well for excellent ground clearance, no part of it hangs below the spare tire. I think I paid around 99.00 for it since I had a coupon for a local truck acces. place. very easy to install too.
Installed the hitch yesterday (received it within 3 days, bought it at etrailer.com). Well, atavuss told me that it was easy, but never thought it will be that easy. Took me about 10 minutes. Tucks very nicely under the bumper; big thumbs up for the Valley hitch!

Last edited:

atavuss

Adventurer
did you add a trailer plug yet? if not, the trailer plug is available as a kit that basically just plugs into your stock tail light connectors (for the 4 flat plug anyway, not sure about the other type connectors). should be another easy 10 minute install! ;)

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
atavuss said:
did you add a trailer plug yet? if not, the trailer plug is available as a kit that basically just plugs into your stock tail light connectors (for the 4 flat plug anyway, not sure about the other type connectors). should be another easy 10 minute install! ;)
I got the kit, but I have not installed it yet as it was getting dark. This will be my "big" weekend project :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne