20" wheels for a Range Rover Supercharged?

zelatore

Explorer
I just put 33's on my LR3 - there is NO WAY you will put 37s on it unless you totally hack the body up. The LR4 is the same as the LR3 body/suspension wise. The earlier RRS is also the same suspension wise but of course would be different bodywork. I haven't played with one but again I doubt very much you can get 37s on it without MAJOR body alterations.

The key question is what is different on the '15 - I have not looked at one closely so I'm assuming there must be some significant changes to allow that much lift and tire.

Again, looking forward to seeing pics and details!

Observer
I just put 33's on my LR3 - there is NO WAY you will put 37s on it unless you totally hack the body up. The LR4 is the same as the LR3 body/suspension wise. The earlier RRS is also the same suspension wise but of course would be different bodywork. I haven't played with one but again I doubt very much you can get 37s on it without MAJOR body alterations.

The key question is what is different on the '15 - I have not looked at one closely so I'm assuming there must be some significant changes to allow that much lift and tire.

Again, looking forward to seeing pics and details!

I'm cutting the fenders. There's not much that has to be cut. They fit. Honestly, I'm more worried about how the ECU will act with the larger tires. Will there be traction control issues, abs issues, etc., etc. There's only one way to find out for sure.

I do understand that this is all talk until the project is actually complete. I promise I'll start posting pictures within the next week or two.

morrisdl

Adventurer
WOW, this is ground breaking. Ill be in Denver in a couple weeks and would love to stop by his shop. Please post or PM me the contact details. Thanks!

rlynch356

Defyota
My buddy has a RRS with factory 20 inch rims. He put on BFG ATs, the new ones. They performed great in Moab in September on the White Rim Trail and slick rock of Hells Revenge.

2015_moab19.jpg

which wheels are those and Which Lift kit? A buddy of mine is looking for options for his 2008 RRS super -

Observer
The lift is done. I'm 6'4" and wanted to give the picture some scale. Next week we'll trim the wheel wells to fit bigger tires. The skid plate is also being modified to increase ground clearance. Stock air bags are maintained. The green full sized Autobiography in the background is next.

zelatore

Explorer
Looks nice, but we need shots of the actual hardware! Is this still running stock control arms, uprights, CVs, and struts? Just a mod to the sensors along the lines of what we've been doing with Johnson Rods and the like, or did you need to make hardware changes? It sounds like you've retained the stock struts, but how are you dealing with the bump stops? Is the pic in 'off road' height I'm guessing?

More Info Please!

And I can't tell, did you go with 37s after all?

Observer
Looks nice, but we need shots of the actual hardware! Is this still running stock control arms, uprights, CVs, and struts? Just a mod to the sensors along the lines of what we've been doing with Johnson Rods and the like, or did you need to make hardware changes? It sounds like you've retained the stock struts, but how are you dealing with the bump stops? Is the pic in 'off road' height I'm guessing?

More Info Please!

And I can't tell, did you go with 37s after all?

The modifications are extensive. This is $10k+ in mods. I promise I'll share the details and detailed pictures once it's done.

The tires in the pics are 35" which fit with a little bit of trimming. We're not sure if we're going to go with 37's. It is possible but the rear door would require slight modifications. Not sure if it's worth it.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
Wow, that looks awesome! Have you also figured out how to do this with the LR3/LR4? It will be another 10 years before I could afford a newer USED Rangie.

Eniam17

Adventurer
So the stock air bags are capable of six inches of lift from the factory? Does the cross link air suspension function in terms of down travel? I am not trying to argue, but I'm completely confused . I heard directly from LR that the bags didn't allow for this much lift so I'm anxiously awaiting pics and detailed info.

zelatore

Explorer
So what is the point of lifting it that much and installing 35/37" tires?

Well, if you have to ask....

Actually, the point is all about ground clearance. Late model IFS/IRS Rovers have pretty good clearance stock, but if you really want to push things you'll run out of break-over in a hurry.

So the stock air bags are capable of six inches of lift from the factory? Does the cross link air suspension function in terms of down travel? I am not trying to argue, but I'm completely confused . I heard directly from LR that the bags didn't allow for this much lift so I'm anxiously awaiting pics and detailed info.

I hate to speculate without more details, but then again that's what the interwebz is all about so...

He didn't say if he's using the stock struts, or just the stock bags from the struts. It's possible they've modified the struts but are still using the stock bags. At $10K, I'm guessing there is a fair amount of custom hardware going on - I'd expect fabricated longer control arms since lifting a Rover that much would significantly reduce the track. At the same time, some sort of mod to the struts to lengthen them and retain the correct angles. You would also need longer axles to accommodate the longer control arms. It could be done such that you retain the stock ride height adjustments, just with all of them raised significantly. We already do some things like this when running rods and bump stop spacers such as the Proud Rhino kit for the LR3/4/RRS.

However I have not worked on a '15 like this, so I'm not sure what the limitations of the stock hardware are. I'm basing my theory on the LR3/4/RRS designs and what I would do if I had $10K and a willing fabricator to work on my suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior