Fatbikes in the snow

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
Adventures by Cogburn

Snow came late to these parts, but it just keeps coming about an inch at a time. Early in the season I had the chance to ride up on the Chequamegon National Forest, on the CAMBA MTB Trail System's Wilson Lake Trail. Saturday I rode at Lake Maria State Park (Monticello, MN) for Winter Fun Day, and Sunday I rode my favorite county park, Beckin Homestead in Cambridge, MN. Still recovering from pneumonia, so deep cold is still hard on the lungs, but this weekend, in the 20s was perfect!

Ride safe,
Hans

Cogburn1.jpg
View from behind bars.

Cheq151.jpg
Chequamegon

Lean-to.jpg
Backcountry Patrol

PatrolTools.jpg
Tools of the Trail Patrol: Truck, bike, snowshoes and skis.

WCSDemo.jpg
Winter camping demo, Lake Maria State Park

BenchwarmerBike.jpg
Benchwarmer Bike at Becklin

tuffy

Observer
The Southwest Colorado Cycling Association received permission from the Forest Service this year to groom trails for fatbiking. Our focus has been on Boggy Draw trails above Dolores, CO. It's amazing, the number of bikers that are coming out and enjoying this. Folks from California to the Midwest are paying attention! Get up here everyone!
Groomed.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/swcocycling/?fref=nf

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
@Tuffy

Thanks for the heads up! We are looking to come out that way and checkout the trails. I'll keep you posted on our timeline.

Cheers

Butch

Jiggity

Observer
So what do you think of the single speed setup? geared low enough to get thru stuff and high enough to not be spinning at 10000rpm and going 5 mph?

Scott Brady

Founder
Loving the fatbike snow shots!
attachment.php

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Nice! I'm riding the "Old Man Winter Rally" ride tomorrow and hope to get some additional pics also. These bikes are super fun in the snow.

Fattty

I picked up a fatbike last winter and have been loving it. We've been starved for snow in the Northeast, but finally got some last week and it's snowing now. This should be a good week for fatbike adventures!

It pretty funny...I have a pretty substantial quiver of Mountain Bikes as I am an avid cyclist. My Fatbike is by far the least expensive bike I've purchased in years, but it has yielded the most fun!

Cheers!

JPR_160205-6905.jpg

p nut

butter
So what do you think of the single speed setup? geared low enough to get thru stuff and high enough to not be spinning at 10000rpm and going 5 mph?

I have a dinglespeed set up on my fat bike. Currently, the gearing is 30x19 for cruising, and 26x23 climbing. I have to take the wheel off and manually change it, but it's better than having to spin like crazy getting to the trails, or on flat trails. The gearing works ok, but I will probably end up going with even a smaller gearing for the climbs. I can climb a lot of trails on 30x19, but deeper snow, 26x23 is just not enough. I may end up going to almost 1:1 ratio on the low end. So something like 30x18 for high and 24x24 for low.

deuxdiesel

Observer
I did a dinglespeed for my Pugsley as well. 36 and 32 front, 17 and 21 out back at first, then narrowed it down to 32 and 34, 16 and 18. It works, it's simple and reliable, but snow conditions vary so much more than dirt does, so it can be hit-or-miss.

sambot

Observer
Snow yes, ice no

Although the fat tires have great grip on almost anything, they suck on sheet ice.
I tried a small patch that I thought I could get across, the bike slipped out from under me and somehow I shattered my ankle. No more biking for a while.
Be careful out there!

jayspies

Adventurer
Although the fat tires have great grip on almost anything, they suck on sheet ice.
I tried a small patch that I thought I could get across, the bike slipped out from under me and somehow I shattered my ankle. No more biking for a while.
Be careful out there!

OUCH! If anyone wants to ride on ice, you NEED grip studs. Many fatbike tires can be purchased pre-studded (45Nrth Dillinger 4/5 for ex.), or you can do it yourself. Ice can be quite an unforgiving medium when you bang into it with any velocity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94