Fatbikes in the snow

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
I purchased a Salsa Mukuluk this summer after a ton of deliberation on what fatbike I wanted and what I wanted to accomplish on it. Denver has received a few inches of snow this month, providing an awesome opportunity to finally get the bike in the snow.

Some things to ponder as a new guy to riding in the snow:

1. It's hard, but incredibly fun
2. Warm, waterproof boots are essential
3. Clipless pedals may come off for the winter
4. Fenders on the bike will drastically reduce the amount of cold water, mud and snow that get sprayed up your backside

Lets see some pics of those fatbikes in the snow!

IMG_4704.JPG
IMG_4705.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG
IMG_4709.JPG

jayspies

Adventurer
Great pics! Jealous of your powder. Two thoughts: 1) Flat pedals are your friend. 2) Fenders that easily attach and detach (mud shovels) are also your friend. Have fun!

MN_Disco1

Here is my setup for the a snow... No snow here yet in MN!
2174b210997e5291ff975f7f1beff1a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
If there's no snow...go for a beach ride! I took advantage of a lowered reservoir level to play in the sand and test out my new tubeless setup.
2015-11-20 16.08.58.jpg

fortel

Adventurer
We got our first snow in Missouri today but it melted as soon as it stopped. With any luck we will get enough substantial snow to do a nice fat bike cruise up the Katy Trail this winter.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Nice pics! We are heading to Fruita, after that trip I believe some flat pedals will go on my "snow" rig. I hope the rest of you get some snow soon so you can get these beasts out where they belong.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
20151122_1504223.jpg
Not the most snow at sea level but we got 6 to 10 inches just up the bike path from the cabin.

deuxdiesel

Observer
This is my 6th season on a fat bike. I've tried flat pedals on and off for the past few years, but miss the control clip-ins give me, plus the downward-biased mashing is not a kind to my knees as clip-ins are. With the advent of serious winter SPD compatable boots like the 45NRTH and now the Bontragers, it is a good option as well.

p nut

butter
Flats only for me during the winter. No ice build up, and more choices for shoes.

Fenders....meh. For me, not worth the cost, or the hassle of putting them on. Besides, on wet rides, I get soaked anyway. Oh, and they look super dorky to me. :) (and that's coming from a guy who owns a full-on randonnuer bike with full length chrome fenders, front rando bag, dynamo lights, etc.).

tuffy

Observer
Since Tuffy Security Products manufactures in SW Colorado, it's pretty easy to get out in the snow. It's been a good year!
Tromping around town:
20151227_160808.jpg

Riding into a San Juan Hut on the north side of the Sneffels Range with my niece and nephew:
(With about 3 feet of snow, don't get off the pack :) )
Hut.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz