Generator for A/C

KTM

Hey all I'm looking at putting a split system A/C in and will run it from a generator.

Can anyone tell me what size gen i will need to run something like one of these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131642807858?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261313463814?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They are inverter A/C's i read somewhere that the work well with inverter generators but there are plenty of cheaper

alternatives that are regular units. I understand they are heavier and louder but cost is important to me.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Best to get the data sheet on the unit from the manufacturer and look at the electric spec'd for max start-up amperage for things like compressor start and aux heat if equipped. Those would be the things that draw the mosts wattage. It's possible they'd be higher than an average generator, so then you'd need to look at the generator's max momentary surge capacity.

Having done something similar, I'm gonna guess 3kW minimum and probably 5kW just for this ... But that's a total swag. If you need 240v, then you'll likely be in the 5-6.5kW range just to get a 240 feed out. For example, a Honda 3000 inverter generator only does 25A on 120v.

KTM

Picked this 5.5kva KIPOR up brand spankas off the old Gumnut for $650 its never even had oil in it yet!!! :ylsmoke:

Im pretty sure its going to run a small A/C no problem unless someone wants to tell me otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 12

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
The problem with most air conditioners is that the current demand surges to about five times the running load for a second or two, each time the compressor starts. So an air conditioner that requires 1,000w to run may need as much as 5,000w for one second, each time the compressor kicks in.

Because of the way inverters work, they have to be sized for that surge.

A motor generator, on the other hand, can be sized to the running load as the starting surge is overcome by the kinetic inertia of the motor. (The genset may slow for a moment, but this is not a problem.)

Also, most gensets produce alternating current, so you don't have the approximately 15% loss of an inverter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94