Which model Montero do you prefer?

AtlFalcon

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and was wanting an opinion on which model Montero I should buy. I've been looking at a 1991 montero, a few 1995-97 SRs and a LS. I'm leaning towards the SR but don't know too much about them. I also like the 1991 as well. This will be my first montero and wanted to know your guy's opinion on them. What's good? What's bad? I'm trying to find one with around 150k miles or less. It will be an everyday vehicle for a bit until I start my work on it. Whats your guys opinion on them? Thanks!

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I like my 95 best, but if I could find a 96, I'd take it. All Monteros up through 2000 are body-on-frame with independent front suspension and a solid rear axle. 2001+ are unibody with four wheel independent suspension. I like the SR version, but that is an engine with a lot of moving parts, and like all things, it requires maintenance. The 96 got a few things added to the standard equipment that make it just a bit more desirable, like OBD-II diagnostics, a passenger side airbag and a split folding middle row seat. It retains the DOHC 24 valve 3.5l V-6 that was dropped after that model year in favor of the SOHC version that is slightly lower power. It has the rear air locker, of course, the axles are huge and the interior is comfortable. They should be pretty affordable, provided a nice one turns up. Good luck.

John B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
My favorite is 98-00 because of the all steel body (no cladding) and they seem to have the best build quality in terms of interior refinement.
#2 is the 94-96 SR for the power and sportyness of the 3.5 DOHC
#3 Has to be the 89-90 2 door V6 (especially the bright blue Auto Offroad package)
#4 the PR model 97-99 because of the flat sides, no body cladding and the super base interior option.
#5 will be the 03-06 Montero for the 3.8L V6, AutoStick and low first gear, nice road rigs and fantastic offroad.

Having said all that i'd have to note that my most frequent Montero is the $1000 or less Montero that i seem to buy a lot of.

If I could have a brand new one right now I would take a loaded 1998-99 with the rear locker. I can not state enough how much more refined the Gen 2.5 was over the Gen 2. The Gen 1 had the looks but it was a miserable vehicle to drive and always felt top heavy to me. I am not bashing on the Gen 1 or 2 because they are old, I am just giving you my extensive experience. For what it is worth I have a 1989 Isuzu Trooper and 1983 Mitsubishi pickup as my daily drivers so I am not against driving old vehicles. As for the Gen 3, I have never owned one but I have driven about 20 because I have looked into buying a Gen 3 several times and they are just not what I look for in a daily driver or an offroad vehicle. I also find them rather gutless.

The best recommendation I can give you is drive as many vehicles as possible and also look at some of the competitors like the Trooper, Landcruiser and 4Runner etc.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The Sport....with the 3.5 SOHC

Cheap, cheap, cheap with low miles in minty condition. Almost as much power a full size with 500 less pounds to haul around. Still very well built, reliable, etc. A bit smaller, a bit simpler, higher stock ground clearance, 4.90's stock, slightly better fuel economy, good handling, and possible to find without a sunroof.

If you can find a 1999 Sport limited they come with the 3.5 and occasionally a factory locker just like the SR...

After that the 03+ or the 2.5 Winter Package.

BEG

Adventurer
It's funny that, almost post-for-post, the recommendations in each are identical to the vehicle in the commenter's sig!

Going back to the OP, if you intend to use it as a daily driver before doing any work, you want something as well-maintained as possible with records and receipts of the work done to it. That won't always mean the newest or the one with the fewest miles, but it's a good place to start. Timing belt replacement interval on 6G Montero engines is 60k miles, so if it's coming up on some multiple of that (120k, 180k etc) make sure that work has been done as a bare minimum. Valve guide seals are another nuisance that come up but not nearly as critical as the timing belt/water pump work.

As far as which Montero is best, all are capable rigs built like brick poophouses. A late model Gen 3 ('03-'06) will get you the newest of everything, the most powerful engine, smoothest tranny, most compliant on-road ride, etc. As you go further back in the model line-up, you lose a little bit of comfort and gain a little bit of off-road advantage. You just have to decide how much off-roadability you need and how many creature comforts you can live without (this is a very simplistic categorization and arguments can be made for each model).

As far as which ones I prefer...mine of course! Gen 2.5 fo' lyfe!

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Any montero you buy, is a good buy. Really just boils down to what you are going to do with it. Daily drive, mild 4 wheeling, extreme 4 wheeling, drive fast down a dirt road really fast and call it 4 wheeling. I prefer 94 - 96 SR mostly cause I like the 3.5 DOHC much better, simple design and easier to work on. Next would be the 98-00 model cause no body cladding, that stuff sucks. Gen 1 v6 2 doors kick a ton of *** as well.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I like driving really fast down dirt roads, Pa_J. Put the 95 in 4 Hi-Loc and keep the transmission shifter in 2nd and it's good for scary-fast with nice deceleration when you get off the throttle, plus great cornering when you stay in the gas. And I'll call it four wheeling if I want to, so there.

John B.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
The difference between you going fast down dirt roads and calling it 4 wheeling is much different than some other dudes. You do this to get to and from the actual 4 wheel drive trail on most occasions. But I've seen plenty of rigs drive down a road and talk about how awesome it was to go 4 wheeling. At that point, buy a car. I've probably taken my wife's ford down worse.

Sorry for thread jacking. Carry on.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Hells yeah, Pa_J. I am usually coming back or going to some trail and just have to let loose with the excessive speed. Monteros were built to travel over rough surfaces fast. Their original design wasn't rock crawling, but you have shown how they do that well, too.

John B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior