welding off a generator...

Itsavanman

Adventurer
so never welded in a remote location, its always been plug into the wall and go, I have a separate generator, and welder, and just wondering, is there anything I should know? or is it just the same, just plug and go? obviously don't want to ask for more watts then the generator can supply, but other than that? id rather not damage anything, better to be safe and ask... thanks folks..

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Ive done it three or 4 times with different welders on different generators at Glamis. The only one that was hard had Harbor freight supplied flux core wire. That's known to be the only bad wire. The generators and welders worked normal.

EuroJoe

Adventurer
I have an 8000w gen set in the bus camper we just bought, it has both a 110 and 220 out is that enough to weld from? I'd be learning, thanks in advance

Arclight

SAR guy
so never welded in a remote location, its always been plug into the wall and go, I have a separate generator, and welder, and just wondering, is there anything I should know? or is it just the same, just plug and go? obviously don't want to ask for more watts then the generator can supply, but other than that? id rather not damage anything, better to be safe and ask... thanks folks..

The easiest way to do this is to just rent a generator with a built-in welder. Most Home Depot and other tool rental locations will have something like a 3KW generator+stick welder available for a reasonable price. It may be the same price as just renting the generator. If you doing the work in a difficult spot, you can also rent extra-long cables.

If you already have a generator and want to use a small MIG/flux-core welder, here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Use flux-core wire, even if you are also running gas. The gas can blow away and leave you without shielding.
2. A 2KW Honda EU2000 will just barely run a Lincoln 110V wire-feed welder.
3. Try to keep the extension cord as short as possible.

What are you trying to weld?

Arclight

Itsavanman

Adventurer
Hey folks! sorry I forgot I asked this question on here.. the generator has worked flawlessly to power my welder. welded all through the winter, and still welding off it. usually at 75% power. its an allpower 4k (cheezy chinese genny) with a firepower 110 welder, (also of same chinese origin) and has worked well. save for the generator uses quite a bit of oil when being used heavily.. for what its worth, I plan on finding another allpower 4k and 110 welder, and slap em on a tiny harbor freight trailer, and I have a portable welder for under $500.. not bad I say!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke