1988 Toyota Pickup 6x6

Clawhammer

Adventurer
What do you all make of this one?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5306306143.html

I have no connection to the seller, it just popped up on CL while I was looking for older Toyota 4x4's. It's interesting for sure, but how would one even go about tying the second rear axle to the first to make a true 6x6? Would a 22re even have the guts to turn something like this?

Styer

Adventurer
Sounds like it isn't truly 6x6. Sounds like the rear most axle isn't hooked up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Clawhammer

Adventurer
From the ad, "4x4 with an addition rear axle to make a 6x6 Need Connected to be real 6x6 But I have Steel Traks
to make it real 6WD for snow or mud"

I guess we're on the same page, it's not a true 6x6, but I'm at a loss for how to make it one. If it were me, I'd say one rear axle should drive all the time, then when the transfer case was engaged, both the front and extra rear axle would drive as well. That's just my thoughts, but I can't imagine exactly how one would make that happen.

Weaselblade

Ooh, shiny, but buyer would really need to get that rear axle properly driven! There are options, but probably no quick or cheap ones...

The landrover 6x6 trucks use a PTO output on the transfer case to drive the third axle.

These guys offer a gearbox that sits in front/above of the existing rear diff and feeds it directly while also providing power straight back to the offset new rear diff. http://www.startrackstrucks.com/6x6trucks.html

Other than that, you've got the option of a mutant transfer case setup with 2 output shafts, or a middle diff that can have an output shaft added; I think I've heard the ford 9" could be made to do this...

Dervish

The landrover 6x6 trucks use a PTO output on the transfer case to drive the third axle.

That gearbox, the LT95, is the only gearbox I know of to have a PTO output that matches the conventional output speed. The transfer case and gearbox are also a one piece unit, so you'd have to use the old 4 speed too.

I think the best option would be the drive splitter box that mounts to the diff suggested above. A through-drive axle can be done, but unless they are designed that way from scratch, very few designs manage to avoid putting massive stress on the middle crownwheel and pinion(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codybutz

Observer
6 38" tires, that poor engine and trans. Remove all that 2" square tubing and it would look 100 times better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94