Building, Driving and Adventuring the MTN4RNR

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
What app are you using for weather and also mapping?

For weather I am using Radar Scope Pro, which has been great if you know what you're looking at!

For maps and GPS I run Gaia GPS Pro when I am off the beaten track. I can cache areas and maps ahead of time, so I can track and navigate without a Verizon signal. It has been a great tool and I am behind it 100%.

jpop8807

Observer
You have a gorgeous vehicle. Quick question, the thing you have that looks like a weather map/gps is that just a tablet? I was thinking about buying a gps system and was wondering if there was one that can do like garmin street maps but also double as a topographical.

Edit: I just saw the above post lol. So how does that work with the gaia gps pro? So it works when you don't have service how does it work?

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
You have a gorgeous vehicle. Quick question, the thing you have that looks like a weather map/gps is that just a tablet? I was thinking about buying a gps system and was wondering if there was one that can do like garmin street maps but also double as a topographical.

Edit: I just saw the above post lol. So how does that work with the gaia gps pro? So it works when you don't have service how does it work?

Thanks man! It's quite the rig!

I am using the Gaia GPS on my iPad Mini (with data). So what I do is select the area that I plan on visiting, and in the app I save or cache the map layer on the iPad. That way when/if I enter the no service zone, I can pull up the pre-saved map and away we go! You don't need the Pro subscription to do it.

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Looks great dood! I still want to drive it ;)

You know, as I was driving away, I was thinking to myself that I never let you take up that offer. My apologies. I will make it up to you in the form of a test drive and some cold IPA's on the next trip! Sound fair?

v_man

Explorer
You know, as I was driving away, I was thinking to myself that I never let you take up that offer. My apologies. I will make it up to you in the form of a test drive and some cold IPA's on the next trip! Sound fair?

Definitely !

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Big Sur Coast, CA

This last weekend, my girlfriend the dog and I took a drive down the central coast of California to meet up with my sister and her boyfriend for some dispersed camping in the Los Padres National Forest, south of Big Sur.

Always a favorite part of the trip
IMG_6302_zpsga2hexi2.jpg

Packed and fueled
IMG_6303_zpsep4umucd.jpg

Drove south to Old Coast Road, on the north side of the iconic Bixby Bridge (photo is from the road, but I took it a few months back)
IMG_3442_zpsaqx5f1h1.jpg

Continuing on, the road winds through the redwoods, along a few creeks, up into the chaparral environment on the high grassy plains, then back down to Highway 1 at Andrew Molera State Beach.
IMG_6307_zpsmcam0odc.jpg

IMG_6309_zpsvndiwab8.jpg

IMG_6314_zpsdjyluhvb.jpg

IMG_6316_zpsw9jxx9gu.jpg

IMG_6313_zpsipfzjgob.jpg

IMG_6317_zpsch5qkoi4.jpg

IMG_6319_zpspkxrogd6.jpg

We then met up with the other party and headed down the coast, and up the hill towards our camping site for the night
IMG_6321_zps5ln2no53.jpg

Arriving at the camp site, we found a good spot and set up camp
IMG_6324_zpseip0yxi8.jpg

DSC00005_zps9wq3k8ax.jpg

IMG_6347_zpso6fk6eek.jpg

IMG_6326_zpsyfr2lyaa.jpg

IMG_6345_zps4eki9n7j.jpg

I usually focus on the beer, but the view from the chair was too good...
IMG_6329_zps5hzqz63w.jpg

Sunset wasn't bad either
IMG_6354_zpsqhpvvmkd.jpg

Scouted our camping site for the next trip in the morning
IMG_6373_zpsziu3dhox.jpg

Headed back down the hill, and back home. It was a short, but really awesome little trip. On the way down, I swapped seats and gave an "offroad 101" course to the girlfriend. We went over navigating washboards/ruts/rain channels, speed control, and how to engage the 4wd system. It's really fun knowing that she's up for learning to drive the 4Runner off road.
IMG_6376_zpshzi1ut35.jpg

Until next time...​

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
LED bar install 1 of 3

I have been wanting to add some extra fire power to the lighting arsenal of the 4Runner for a while. After the HID install, I found that the stock halogen high beams didn’t really match the low beam output, or color. And I no longer had the function of being able to ‘flash’ my high beams to be able to signal to other drivers because unless the low beams were on, flashing the stock high beams would cause the HID ballasts to flash as well, which is not good for long term reliability. So, aftermarket light bar it was. I decided on the S8 light bar from Baja Designs because their design is fantastic. Serviceable and exchangeable lenses, great light dispersion with the combo/driving lens, low beam matching 5k light output, and the separately wired amber back-lighting. I wanted a single row, because I wanted to keep it less noticeable. I decided on the upper grille because I wanted to keep it in-line with the headlights, not to block the radiator, and to have the back-lit feature be in the ‘marker light’ position. I bought the LED bar through Apollo Optics .
Switching is controlled by an OEM style switch for now until I add a few more accessories, then I will switch to a consolidated platform (likely a Switch-Pro). Without further delay...​

Parts used:
- Baja Designs S8 20” LED bar purchased from Apollo Optics
- Wiring harness from Apollo Optics
- OEM style “Driving Lights” switch from Slee Offroad
- TRD Pro upper grille
- Drill of choice
- Milwaukee #9 step drill bit
- Supplied hardware from Baja Designs
- Flexo PET wire sheathing
- Scotch Extreme Fasterners
- Mini-blade Add-a-fuse
- Shrink wrap
- Heat gun
- Weather resistant butt connectors
- Dielectric grease
- 14 ga. wire
- Electrical tape
- Zip ties
- Wire crimpers
- Wire strippers
- Alpine Beer Company - Duet

Install:
Remove front access cover.
DSC09092_zpsghvx60o0.jpg

Remove upper grille and bezel. Remove 2 upper plastic clips and pull outwards.
DSC09093_zpsvwr5je4p.jpg

TRD Pro grille vs. Trail/SR5 grille
DSC09095_zpsqxdoxkmo.jpg

Locate 2 existing stock holes (red) that will line up with brackets provided by Baja. Yellow holes noted could fit a set of the S2 lights from Baja based on measurements, but this is unconfirmed.
image_zpsdoftgcv3.png

Mock up placement for new LED bar using the stock holes.
DSC09102_zpsa2zmhmfx.jpg

Use a step drill to widen the mounting brackets by approximately ¼” per side, and also the holes on the grille support by approximately ⅛” per side. I didn’t measure these, but I would drill and test fit until I could get the bolts to fit through.
DSC09101_zpsgexg5jji.jpg

LED bar mocked up and bolted in.
DSC09106_zpssnbczi19.jpg

LED bar removed, grille mocked up.
DSC09096_zps3yvax5jm.jpg

LED bar installed with grille in place.
DSC09098_zpsazfzpij1.jpg

I left the painted bezel off until the install was finalized to reduce any chance of scratching or damaging it.

Bring in the wiring team…
DSC09171_zps5h8pt47z.jpg

I laid out the wiring harness as I planned on installing it and cut everything to length. I poked a hole in the existing firewall grommet and fed the unsheathed wire through to take a measurement first, then pulled it out and cut. Harness laid out.
DSC09173_zps0ys0t6sq.jpg

I then wrapped all lines in the Flexo PET sheathing to protect from wear and to consolidate multiple wires into one manageable run.
DSC09176_zpswsyjdg72.jpg

All connections made were with dielectric grease, weather resistant butt connectors, and shrink wrap. Thanks to [MENTION=65614]Antman[/MENTION] for the advice on how to make a proper connection using proper tools. This shows an un-shrunk (red wire) and a shrunk butt connector (black wire).
DSC09175_zpshnjsy59e.jpg

Connectors for the supplied male weather tight connector that comes with the S8 LED bar.
DSC09177_zpssbplpztu.jpg

Capped, sheathed, shrunk wrapped.
DSC09178_zpspemwiqdu.jpg

Laying out all sheathed wires.
DSC09179_zpsk2e71jxm.jpg

Hole in firewall grommet, and feeding the wires through.
DSC09180_zpsmwl027bb.jpg

DSC09185_zpsftohkjll.jpg

I chose the closest blank spot, and the easiest to turn on/off without looking to install the switch. This upper panel can be removed by pushing on the left side and the ‘top’ and using the tractional force to pull it towards you. Should pop pretty easily, but remember that there are connected wires behind it, so don’t pull too hard. Remove the blank piece by depressing the upper and lower ‘locks’ and pushing it out. Route the wires up through the blank hole. I used the vise-grips to hold the wires in place so they wouldn’t slip through the hole when I wasn’t looking.
DSC09187_zpsskton4gu.jpg

DSC09188_zpsokqgksdw.jpg

See part 2 below

Last edited:

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
LED bar install 2 of 3

Switch harness wired up to lighting harness. After testing the wires, I wired switch black to harness black, switch red to harness blue, switch green to harness red. This turns on the light when the button is in the on position, and also turns the ‘lights' indicator on the switch when the light is on. I opt'd not to tie the switch into the dash lights because I plan on installing a Switch Pro at some point, and don't want to mess with the OEM harness. Plus, not all of the stock switches are lit anyways, so it's not out of place.
DSC09191_zpsecd7gwgo.jpg

DSC09192_zpsf0qcnsuq.jpg

I attached the Add-a-fuse to the wire connected to the amber back-light. I then plugged in 2 10A fuses, and replaced the stock 10A Tail light fuse with the Add-a-fuse. This makes the back-light come on with the parking lights/low beams.
DSC09193_zpsgqcmq46c.jpg

DSC09194_zpsepcvvvpo.jpg

Interior wiring secure and tucked away, back to the engine bay.
DSC09200_zpspkrj3nkp.jpg

Time to route some wiring. I attached the relay to the fender sheet metal with my favorite double 3M Extreme Fastener to allow for removal if I need to. I then routed the wires to the battery and the LED bar. Battery behind and then between the fuse panel. LED bar on the inner fender channel after removing the plastic covering.
DSC09202_zpso9uo6arh.jpg

DSC09204_zpsntwdurnx.jpg

DSC09205_zps03d0w12g.jpg

DSC09206_zpsgkuasubt.jpg

DSC09210_zpsvvyzcwbx.jpg

A quick switch test. Off.
DSC09221_zps4gyhh4k4.jpg

On.
DSC09222_zps7tc2esyh.jpg

Good to go!
Zip ties to hold everything in place. Wiring, DONE!

Light bar, wired and installed behind grille with painted bezel.
DSC09207_zpsnbf02b12.jpg

DSC09208_zpszeyyosra.jpg

I then turned on the low beams to show the pattern against my rustic back drop to aim the LED bar.
DSC09211_zpsd68utnae.jpg

LED bar on, I adjusted the angle so that the middle of the LED bar beam was at the top of the low beam cut off to emulate the high beam pattern.
DSC09214_zpsalpzxpf6.jpg

All plastics reinstalled under the hood.
DSC09218_zpsnf5zfart.jpg

DSC09219_zps8dwbk0p5.jpg

See part 3 below

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94