Building, Driving and Adventuring the MTN4RNR

jeffe

Observer
Beautiful rig in some beautiful places. I live vicariously trough threads like these. Can't wait to see more!!

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
lets see the v1 of that cool slide ;)

A quick teaser.... More of this soon, I need to write a write-up
91061868-1CCF-4A3E-8AE2-7A4919D3B942_zps14vtzk9f.jpg

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Bald Mountain OHV - August 2016 (Part 1 of 4)

Last weekend I took a re-visit to Bald Mountain OHV. If you remember, I went there last winter for the first annual Crawl-to-the-Top snow trip that ultimately ended in a big, old fashioned cluster. It was probably a good thing that we never made it to the trailhead that day, but I have been wanting to head back since. @v_man and I hatched a plan to head to the mountains, and make a day of it. I invited TheKent, and a buddy from college, Cam, who invited his friend Kayden.

Driver/Rig:
Vincent (v_man): 1990 Toyota 4Runner on 37” of awesomeness
Wes (TheKent): 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail and my truck’s twin
Cameron: 1996 Toyota Tacoma with some sweet custom graphics
Kayden: 1987 Toyota Truck that just keeps truckin’
Max (MTN4RNR): 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail that is used but not abused

We left the Bay Area early, itching to get higher in elevation. Wes and I would make it an overnight trip but for the others, it was a day trip, so time was precious. I met Vincent at 5am and we hit the road, meeting the others in Gilroy at 6am. A quick introduction, Vincent’s second cup of coffee, and a stretch; we were on the road, East bound!

Because half of California is on fire, the sunrise was a deep red color as it rose over the horizon when we came over Pacheco Pass.
DSC09909_zpszndhpfod.jpg

DSC09914_zpsqdsphspa.jpg

DSC09917_zps4uczguui.jpg

DSC09918_zps6vrvhe72.jpg

Around 9am, we made it to the trailhead and after a quick air down and run around with the dog we hit the trail for a quick warm up on a nearby granite slab before starting up Bald Mountain. We opted to take the “North Route” up the hill as we had heard that it was the more challenging direction, and after reaching the summit we would return on the “South Route”. That being said, none of us had been to the area before, so there was a certain amount of error expected when we set off. And about 5 minutes into the journey, we realized we had started down the South Route, and had to back-track to the beginning of the North Route.

Cameron was really excited to get out in his Tacoma. This would be it’s maiden off-road voyage with him, although he has had plenty of Toyota off-road experience before this having owned a few late 80’s 4Runners prior to the Tacoma.

DSC09921_zpsuz58kdst.jpg

DSC09923_zps2kby7rau.jpg

DSC09924_zpsbawuquu9.jpg

DSC09925_zpsyvhqo247.jpg

20160820_105838_zpspbg3itcf.jpg

PC: v_man

Yes, that’s right. Water. In a creek. In California. Weird.
DSC09931_zpsglgnx6hs.jpg

DSC09938_zpsn2zfh7nd.jpg

DSC09945_zpsbvfcjl0u.jpg

DSC09951_zpskymtsdd4.jpg

20160820_122438_zpsffvjp72p.jpg

20160820_122236_zps34rhajoe.jpg

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Bald Mountain OHV - August 2016 (Part 2 of 4)

This was a fun section of trail that was quite technical. Vincent, naturally, walked over it without a spotter (likely in 2wd, because he can) and then came back to spot the rest of us that were more gravity challenged.

DSC09955_zpsz1pxx6ru.jpg

DSC09959_zps3iupism3.jpg

DSC09960_zpsl0vfnmcb.jpg

DSC09967_zpsurneizyg.jpg

DSC09969_zpsk9ydqcdl.jpg

L1004540_zpskouj4l7m.jpg

PC: TheKent

L1004544_zps1onloo1l.jpg

20160820_124441_zpsz2cqydmc.jpg

Here comes the point in the trip where I was feeling good. I had crawled over a few sections that I didn’t think were going to be doable. Confidence was high. I watched Vincent crawl up and over this rock face. When he then turns to me and says, “You should try it”. I looked at the obstacle, and at the 4Runner. Basically, I thought that it likely wouldn’t work, but if it did… It would blow my mind. Here’s the view from the driver’s seat 30 seconds later…

DSC09977_zpsxjerhfp6.jpg

And Wes’s point of view…
L1004552_zpszwejjec3.jpg

PC:TheKent

I learned what I can’t do, well, at least not now. So, for the first time, the 4Runner needed the winch. Thanks to Vincent, it was a quick pull and I was over the top with only some mangled plastic on the rear bumper, a munched tail pipe, and a big smile to show for it. I didn’t make it over the obstacle, but then again I didn’t really expect to. Considering the only off-road upgrades done to the 4Runner at this point are tires and some sweet sliders. Not dissapointed.

L1004558_zpsczeuem5r.jpg

DSC09990_zpsmzgygqd1.jpg

Moving closer to the top, there was an obstacle that only Vincent could attempt, and he needed multiple attempts. But ultimately he made it over with a little “Skinny pedal, skinny pedal”. I did NOT attempt this line, because we just went over what happens when Max follows Vincent up rock faces.

DSC09981_zpsslmwblzj.jpg

A tale of two lines…
DSC09985_zpstepb8bsl.jpg

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Bald Mountain OHV - August 2016 (Part 3 of 4)

Finally, we reached the top, and the lookout tower.

0704249B-A796-4299-8A09-D989C880AD25_zpswnwujdki.jpg

DJI_0078_zpsxujqxyx4.jpg

L1004584_zpsui4nkh0n.jpg

The platform slide out got it’s shake down in the form of a summit PB&J and a beer
DSC09988_zpsaasyban0.jpg

From the tower
E4E7A1B4-E5CF-4A78-8B50-CFC2AE7BC93A_zpsmb8kmpdo.jpg

EC0AAAF2-CBF4-4EB8-953A-0C3FE748BE5B_zpskc4yno5w.jpg

B9F698EC-EDC1-4EF1-9308-F8B2F4C537E5_zpseei4xhyl.jpg

DJI_0082_zpsooyxa6ms.jpg

Time to head back down. We moved a bit quicker on the downhill, so there are a few less photos to share, but when I come back, I think I’ll run it reverse to keep it fun!

DSC09995_zps5ollnowe.jpg

DSC09997_zpschntg8a8.jpg

DSC09998_zpsjbqhkdjf.jpg

We reached the bottom of the hill, the rest of the gang aired up, we said some goodbyes, and they hit the road. Wes and I turned around and made our way towards Dinkey Creek for a campsite, and HOPEFULLY a swim in the creek.

This looked promising…
DSC00014_zpslw4hvtqb.jpg

Yep, it was a win
DSC00010_zpsse141clv.jpg

A quick dip, and some dinner and it was time to turn in for the night
xII4v8V.jpg

DSC00002_zpsn135wyty.jpg

Side note: I finally got to sleep flat in the 4Runner thanks to the 4Runner Platform I designed and built (more on that in a day or so) and holy crap. Game changer.

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Bald Mountain OHV - August 2016 (Part 4 of 4)

In the morning, it was a quick cup of coffee for me and a sleeping zone tear down before hitting the short trail to the pavement.

DSC00004_zps79ohjl67.jpg

DSC00013_zpsfxwd9p92.jpg

DSC00018_zpsdnakukc6.jpg

After some air, we hit the road where Wes would take a different route than I was planning. So after leaving the (half dead) pine trees behind, we said goodbye and headed our separate ways.

DSC00028_zpsjbpiephe.jpg

I saw a SWEET old cab over tow truck in Los Banos
DSC00035_zpsruhasb0y.jpg

Maeve and I stopped at the California Canal crossing
DSC00049_zps6rys4njo.jpg

Someone should change this sign….
DSC00042_zpsgnkjun0j.jpg

DSC00041_zpsmvqargzq.jpg

Then it was one more push to get home. This was a great weekend full of new challenges. The 4Runner has yet again amazed me, and others in what it can do on stock suspension. I cannot wait to see what it can do with a suspension upgrade and some skid plates…

More to come…

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Lola Montez/Fordyce Lake - July 2016 (Late Entry)

Last weekend I took my dad on a delayed Father's Day trip to the Sierras to do some fishing and exploring in an area that neither of us had been in before. Quick backstory: my dad has been an avid fisherman his whole life, and his passion for the mountains has trickled down to me. He started his landscaping company, which I now work for, about 30 years ago. In the last 5-10 years as the economy fluctuated, his need to work longer and more consistent hours has increased, to the point where he hasn't had the ability to get away as much as he would like. SO one of my goals with my adventures is to include him on some of the trips to "break the mold" and remind him what weekends are all about. On that note, here's a recap of the trip:

We started on Rattlesnake Road, the same as my last trip, and stopped in at my last campsite. The creek I stayed on is all but a trickle and the snow that I crossed to get in has long melted away

99CD55EF-986B-421C-98B6-E9A1D347A992_zpsmfjca07l.jpg

We made a few other quick stops on the way up to Upper Lola Montez lake, places I had stopped before and wanted to see again, or check if gates were now open (they weren't). This is the what most of the road looks like heading up the mountain

A141AF8F-1952-41A2-8A52-33F9B15F5E9F_zpspfxmx0uh.jpg

The only obstacle on the trail was a long lasting snow drift that would have been drivable, but it had a sweet drop into mud on the other side. So we opt'd to drive up and to the right of the trail, around a tree, and back on to the road

FB867C61-BF30-4D18-B8BD-9F7465AD1684_zpshru0ancg.jpg

Shortly after passing the snow drift, we twisted down a narrower section of trail, and ended up at the lake. This was exactly what we were looking for, except no fish. We found out that this lake was never stocked, but the lower lake about a quarter miles and 600' downhill was. We decided this was a great chance to have a beer, smoke a cigar, and eat lunch before making our way to Fordyce Creek.

D7367350-F717-4290-825E-17AFFE1DB16F_zpsdzajrcc4.jpg

767E75C8-0E1D-4101-A985-DC0CDF35692E_zpsnrko2pib.jpg

857B449B-F878-42C7-838C-991A81907043_zpsdvedx7dk.jpg

2D602740-A96D-4AD0-9E1F-30599EA1A82B_zpsilykj3xw.jpg

Lower Lola Montez Lake

CCD4A11E-E111-4B0B-8EF4-3C70D17B2822_zpswx3a3kkg.jpg

Heading out, we made our way to Lake Sterling, which was wiiiiiindy. No fishing here, but there were definitely a few great campsites I noted on my Gaia GPS

4A82A91E-216D-4E71-927E-529809F4E3D6_zpsy4y3qajf.jpg

7826FFB9-0F98-46D6-944D-F704D0D30F7B_zpsrwndnap6.jpg

Leaving Lake Sterling, we went down to Fordyce Lake, the dam, and eventually Fordyce Creek. This is the home of the famous Fordyce Trail, which extends from Eagle Lakes, through the Fordyce Creek a number of times, across some big boulders, and up a few winch hills all the way to Fordyce Lake. I don't think that my 4Runner will ever see that trail, but I would like to eventually join up with a group and spot/photograph it some day. The road down to Fordyce Lake is a but dodgy at the top with a couple of small rock gardens to navigate. The 4R had no problem, but found the front skid a few times, [insert need a lift comment here].

AD1CBB81-96F4-4F7B-B1C5-1B5C4F12CA77_zpsl18xvaaa.jpg

At lake level, we looked back to see the waterfall that comes from Lake Sterling up above on the ridge line, into Fordyce Lake.

61206889-A43A-40A2-86D9-0A6A356C30FC_zpsjhxejssl.jpg

We reached the dam, and took a hike to the bottom to the creek to hunt for some trout

DSC09703_zpskkozlakf.jpg

BD5934FC-A01E-4635-8B66-94AB097F3D74_zpsxw1m1yhn.jpg

DSC09697_zpsbt7wn7fd.jpg

It took some finding, but I found what we were looking for. Size doesn't always matter

069E22C0-F59F-4494-8E75-6D54196192C4_zps1bnyvbya.jpg

We released the fish for the afternoon, and headed back up the back side of the dam to the 4Runner, packed up our gear and made our way back out and up to Fordyce Summit. The drive out was very smooth, and using the MTS with "Rock" setting kept the traction in check as we made our way out. I hadn't used it yet, but this seemed like a good time to try is out as the majority of the drive out was small rocks. I think it performed really well and the MTS reduced/eliminated the CPU's need to throttle back when the tires slipped a bit. I was impressed, and will definitely experiment with the system more.

DSC09708_zpsgbpveokc.jpg

We didn't have enough time to run Signal Peak from Fordyce Summit like I had originally intended, but I will save that one for another trip. I will certainly be back to this area, hopefully for a night or two.

7FBB442C-0AFC-43E7-99D5-9C046C28D780_zpsxbftx5zp.jpg

More to come...

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
The MTN4RNR 4Runner Platform

When I first bought the 4Runner, it didn’t take long before I realized that I would need to modify the stock cargo area to best fit my personal needs. I had a few basic requirements to consider:

Cargo Security:
My typical cargo usually consists of the Ruff Tough kennel for the pup and a Front Runner Wolfpack (used to be Action Packer). When I switch to camping/Overlanding mode, I will typically add my camping box (DeWalt Tough boxes), the cooler, and other miscellaneous small items. All of these things needed to be secured in case of a collision or other accident. The last thing that I want is for the dog kennel to smash around, or to see a fully packed Yeti cooler cruising through the windshield. A tie down system can also be more practical by keeping your gear secure when four wheeling as you start/stop/pitch/jolt. It was really clear that the stock 4 point system wasn’t going to cut it after a few 4wd trips, however for the better part of a year I have made it work.

A Fully Flat Cargo Area:
The 4Runner (without the OEM cargo tray) with the rear seats folded down does not allow the cargo area to be flush with the rear seats. It’s about a 2-3 inch drop, and that drop makes a huge difference when it comes to sleeping comfortably in the back. Like my issue with securing cargo, I was able to make it work using a yoga mat, and an extra blanket. It worked, but I slept terribly.

Additional Preparation Space:
When I camp and spend time outdoors, I tend to need a flat surface to perform various tasks. Cooking, organizing gear, working with maps, etc. In the past I have made due with cooking on my camping box, requiring me to pull everything out that I will need for the meal, and ultimately I forget something mid-cook. How hard is it to open the camping box while there is a full pot of water boiling on the stove? It’s very difficult, trust me. Sparing myself buying a table for camping, I thought having something that could be easily deployed when needed would be a great addition to this platform.

Room for growth:
When I design/start any project, I understand that even if it is well planned, and even better built, there is always the likely possibility that I will find some way to make it better. So I incorporated that reality into my build by using materials and a general layout that would allow me to incorporate drawers, a fridge slide or anything else later on down the road.

Note:
I won’t be going into full design details with this particular project at this time, mainly because I am contemplating doing a small production run of this platform once I give it a good shake down to test the integrity of my design. Once I can establish that there aren’t any weak points, I will consider moving forward if there is a suitable demand. In the meantime, I will be pricing the unit as it is currently designed because I understand that the first question many ask with this sort of product is “How much?” That’s what I am going to work out.

Product details:
-Baltic birch plywood construction
-Aluminum L-track tie down strips with movable tie downs
-Line-X platform coating
-Stainless steel hardware
-Minimal modification of the 4Runner to fit (plastic trim removal; no cutting)
-Flush to seat design
-Slide out preparation space

Product Description:
The platform is constructed using strong, Baltic birch plywood. It is made of a hardwood ply, and unlike cheaper substitutes, it doesn’t use a weaker filler between the layers of hardwood. It is hardwood through and through making it very rigid and durable. The plys are bonded together using marine grade adhesive, and the outside veneers are thicker allowing for a more durable surface. It’s not a cheap material to use, but the benefits well outweigh the cost.

The platform incorporates 4 aluminum L-track strips. Left, center, right, and against the rear seats. Each one with approximately one tie down option every 1-2 inches. This means that as cargo needs change, so do the tie down points. This variable approach allows for securing different cargo in different arrangements without compromise.

A Line-X finish on the platform was used to increase the base material’s overall strength, provide a waterproof finish to the top surface, and to increase the long term durability of the platform. As an added bonus, it ended up looking like something that should have come from the factory as it closely matches the plastic color.

The slide out is made of the same Baltic birch plywood, but with an added polyurethane surface protectant to seal it from water and other stains. The edges have been routed to provide a smoother grip when extended. The slide can come out approximately 18” with enough rigidity to hold a stove and food preparation supplies. It is branded with the Mountain 4Runner logo on the lower right corner.

The platform attaches to the 4Runner using existing threaded holes, and only requires the removal of 2 plastic trim pieces. No cutting is required for installation. It fits with approximately ½” per side to spare, and enough room to fold the rear seats up and down without interference.

Product photos:

DSC04575_zpsgddigbti.jpg

DSC04565_zpsqat0eiqt.jpg

DSC04559_zpsiqwfjspe.jpg

DSC04558_zpsnwkhbhos.jpg

DSC04566_zpsbpjdtdgs.jpg

DSC04569_zpsinimfmli.jpg

DSC04572_zpssju4trm0.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah175/mtn4rnr/4Runner%20Platform/DSC04581_zpsen3nguxk.jpg[img]

[img]http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah175/mtn4rnr/4Runner%20Platform/DSC04578_zpsljtsfvxl.jpg

DSC04583_zpsuikvvbuw.jpg

DSC09988_zpsaasyban0.jpg

DSC00002_zpsn135wyty.jpg

DSC00033_zps7boz7ner.jpg

As I mentioned above, I will be testing the platform in the coming months and determining if I can produce a small number of units and what the associated cost would be. I will update the build page with information as it comes. Feel free to send any questions to me via the personal message feature on the forum.

More to come…

Last edited:

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Such nice work. What bag is that attached to the kennel? Looking for something like that for the kennel we have in the back of my truck.

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Such nice work. What bag is that attached to the kennel? Looking for something like that for the kennel we have in the back of my truck.

That is the 12"x 12" Packing Cube from Blue Ridge Overland Gear. It's perfect for the purpose. I use their GrimLoc's to attach the bag to the door of the kennel.

Here's a link to their product: BROG Packing Cube

Let me know if you have any questions! :wings:

MTN4RNR

Adventurer
Labor Day Adventures in the Sierras - September 2016

I decided that the long weekend would be a good opportunity to bring the ladies along for a weekend adventure in the Sierras. My girlfriend is a grad student, so we like to take advantage of whatever time that she’s not busy. This weekend, we decided to hike the Sierra Buttes Fire Lookout, located in Tahoe National Forest just outside Sierra City. We left Saturday, and headed for my cabin near Grass Valley where we hit the river in the afternoon after a few beers at Knee Deep Brewing in Auburn. We crashed for the night for an early start up highway 49.

Sunrise at the cabin
DSC00065_zpsqfbn0g4d.jpg

We took off towards the trailhead, and as we were driving I noticed that there was a dirt shortcut that would bring us to the same spot, wahoo! It was an improved gravel road, and after a quick air down to 28psi, we were cruising along…
DSC00075_zpsczzilj3x.jpg

Nothing but green on the OEM nav, perfect.
DSC00078_zpssltgi43w.jpg

We arrived at the trailhead to find that we weren’t the only ones that had this great idea to spend the morning outdoors. While the parking lot was full, thankfully the trail didn’t feel crowded
DSC00093_zpsn04szrfm.jpg

Doggo was rocking a new pack my buddy gave me, and enjoying every bit of it
IMG_8481_zps1vr41yzb.jpg

DSC00095_zpsuuc7lgwg.jpg

As we hiked up the trail, we could see the fire lookout far up the mountain…
IMG_8473_zps63j2mxvt.jpg

DSC00121_zpsoyy1yapc.jpg

IMG_8515_zpsal1zlvbd.jpg

DSC00125_zpsljj9bzsg.jpg

Nothing beats a cold summit beer…
DSC00130_zpsgawl6w4d.jpg

1,700’ elevation gain in 2.5 miles. Solid. On the way into town we caught a glimpse of where we had come from, and it was pretty amazing.
IMG_8533_zpsatpqxjsx.jpg

We made our way into Sierra City for lunch, and wound up getting some good BBQ at an event being held at a local historical mine, score!
IMG_8528_zpsskhrrw1t.jpg

Our campsite was going to be the Gold Lake 4x4 Campsite, located about 20 minutes outside of Sierra City. The 4x4 trail was about 2 miles long and had plenty of rock gardens to make the way in fun, and just the right amount for the lady. She has not been out with me on 4x4 trails before, so I am starting things out slowly to make it a good time for all! After almost a year with the 4Runner, I feel rather confident taking it on trails, and being able to pick good lines that work with my stock suspension. We went through a couple of tricky spots, and I am happy to say that not a skid plate was touched this time out, although I did use my sliders a few times. It’s a great feeling being confident, especially when you have a new to 4-wheeling passenger along for the ride. It makes things easy, and fun.
DSC00164_zpstdqnja8j.jpg

DSC00166_zpsd5eaazfd.jpg

We ended up camping at Little Gold Lake, on the west side of it’s bigger compadre
IMG_8531_zpsb9i6czr3.jpg

The slide out in action
DSC00143_zpsa20zrpuj.jpg

In the morning, we broke camp and headed out. Next stop, Truckee for lunch and then home to the Bay Area.
DSC00160_zpsuhewotvz.jpg

DSC00178_zpsonnzyo2f.jpg

Overall, it was a great weekend exploring with the family, checking out areas new to us all. Every time that I go on one of these trips, I am amazed with how many roads, trails, and path are just there waiting to be explored. Using my GPS, I am constantly seeing off-shoots and places that I can go to on the next trip. I mark them with a waypoint, and archive them for when I plan another trip. I will likely be coordinating a T4R group trip in this area either in the upcoming months, or in the spring as there are a good amount of 4x4 trails, as well as some hikes and nearby lakes/rivers/towns. So look for something in the future discussing it more.
DSC00184_zpsu0bbk1pv.jpg

More to come…​

MobTuff

Observer
Looks like a fun weekend! I was up at a fire lookout this Labor Day weekend as well (Buck Rock). I'm definitely taking notes for our next trip up to Tahoe. What a great spot next to the lake. Was it packed? What was your highest elevation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior