Need new tired for my Jeep Liberty CRD

mtbdemon

Hello to all,

I'm very new to overlanding and I'm in need of your help-I have a 06 Jeep Liberty CRD with a 2.5 frankinlift and a 4:10 rear end. Currently, I have 265-70 R16's and will be needing tires soon. I would like to buy a slightly smaller tire this time, but with off road capabilities as well as decent road characteristics. This is my daily driver so I'm trying to find the best of both worlds.
If anyone can give suggestions, that would be great! The majority of my offroading would be simple dual track and some mud and rocks thrown in as I do live in the NW.

Thanks!
Ken
Portland Oregon

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I just installed 31" bfg k02 on my xj. I can't say much for longevity at this point. Traction is great. They balanced really well, I was surprised, I didn't use more then 1.5oz on each side of the wheel. Some road noise, nothing like mud tires, and they roll smooth. Did I mention they look bad ***?

mtbdemon

I just installed 31" bfg k02 on my xj. I can't say much for longevity at this point. Traction is great. They balanced really well, I was surprised, I didn't use more then 1.5oz on each side of the wheel. Some road noise, nothing like mud tires, and they roll smooth. Did I mention they look bad ***?

I like the idea of low road noise and efficient rolling....Did you have to use any kind of spacer to keep the fronts from rubbing?

WallysCRD

I've got some Pathfinder 31" (265/75/r16) tires on my Frankenlifted KJ CRD, and i really like em. They're good on road, and plenty of traction off the pavement for me. My KJ is my daily driver too. I've had the Pathfinders on my F150 and on my KJ (Liberty). I'm out in Hillsboro if you'd like to meet up somewhere and take a look at them!

tommudd

Explorer
Been running Duratracs on my 04 KJ
265-75-16s , 4.10s JBA coilover lift, etc over 90,000 miles, do great in snow if that is a concern, Its been my DD for 11 years until I bought the green one recently
The 03 green one ( on the right ) is next going to go Moabs on it as well with 265-70-16s, not sure brand yet since only lifting it 2.5-3 inches and more of a " Maller- Crawler" LOL

tommudd

Explorer
I like the idea of low road noise and efficient rolling....Did you have to use any kind of spacer to keep the fronts from rubbing?

Are you talking about wheel spacers to sit the wheel out more?
Generally when we lift one ( done over 35 KJs ) we have them go to a 4 inch backspaced wheel 7 inches wide or some use the 1.25 inch spacers to move the wheel out farther

1stDeuce

Explorer
We put 235/75R16 Cooper AT3's on my wife's CRD. It was only lifted about 3/4", and they BARELY cleared the inner fender in front when turned. They actually must have rubbed a little on occasion, as there were polished areas at the front of the inner fender on both sides, but we never heard them. Bonus of that size is that they are rated as "SUV" tires, not LR E like many of the bigger 16" sizes. (They were marked for 44psi max, which I think corresponds to LR C.)

Consequently, the ride was still good. I put them on stock Renegade wheels, which have a little less backspacing than the five spoke flat face wheels that came on her Liberty. Any less backspacing and the rubbing would have been worse. Winter performance was very good, fuel mileage unchanged. If you need a mud tire, keep looking, or if you want better performance, the BFG ATKO2's might do a little better, but their square shoulder may cause a bit more rubbing on something tight like a KJ.

Good Luck!

mtbdemon

I've got some Pathfinder 31" (265/75/r16) tires on my Frankenlifted KJ CRD, and i really like em. They're good on road, and plenty of traction off the pavement for me. My KJ is my daily driver too. I've had the Pathfinders on my F150 and on my KJ (Liberty). I'm out in Hillsboro if you'd like to meet up somewhere and take a look at them!

Hello Wally,
That would be great! I would love to see what you have to give me a better idea of what it is that I want....E-mail me at mtbdemon@msn.com Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke