Why not get the biggest battery possible?

v_man

Explorer
If available space under the hood was not an issue, why wouldn't someone just get the biggest battery they could fit? Bigger dimension wise, cold cranking amps, reserve capacity? I have bunch of extra space under the hood in my 4runner, and if there's no negative consequences, I'd like to get a bigger, stronger battery...

Also FWIW , I've had two Optima red tops die on me in the last 4 years...

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Biggest LiFePo4 battery perhaps (Braille Lithium ******). Quick charge.

But in reality, there is no point in having a lead acid that can drive your fridge for a fortnight if you only ever stop two nights at most. That's a lot of extra weight that is just not necessary.

4x4junkie

Explorer
×2, weight is probably the biggest reason to not stuff more batteries than what you need under the hood/wherever... Batteries are heavy (however simply replacing a stock size battery with say, a single #27 or #31 battery typically isn't that big of a big deal if it fits, that only adds maybe an average of 15-25lbs).

And yeah, some certain batteries do seem to be exceptionally tough to charge, but indeed that's not all batteries. I've always had excellent luck in the past with stuff made by East Penn (Deka)... Hopefully the pair of Deka Marine Masters I bought last week will continue that trend (with quality of so many batteries having gone downhill in the last 7 or so years it's tough to know whether anything at all is good anymore).

v_man

Explorer
yes , my biggest concern was my puny alternator not being able to keep the battery topped off, but perhaps this will motivate me to do that alt. upgrade ...

4x4junkie

Explorer
Your alternator's output voltage is actually more important to proper charging of a battery than it's current capability... Batteries these days like to see charging voltages of 14V or more (14.4 usually being ideal). If your alt's output stays above 14V with the truck not cold, but fully warmed up, I wouldn't be too worried about it not being able to keep a bigger/additional battery charged.

If it fails to maintain 14V after warm up though (fairly common on older vehicles prior to about 1990 or so), then for sure you'll want to upgrade it (or adjust, if possible, the alt's voltage regulator).

unseenone

Explorer
Get yourself a big Deka AGM Intimidator or something along those lines. Bye bye Yeller tops.. I think you'll be happy with your Deka batteries 4x4junkie

I can't really add much to what's already be said otherwise.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
If you want a Grp 31 AGM, don't get an Odyssey or Sears PM1, unless you have a very special charging system or you are a glutton for punishment.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
The only other downside to a giant battery is weight. If you need the capacity and can fit the bigger battery, run it. But if you don't really need the huge battery, it might be worth saving some weight and not going quite as big.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Calculate how many Ah you might need, and then buy a battery with about double that Ah capacity (so you don't drain it below half).

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The "Biggest" battery isn't necessarily the most efficient battery. Also, "Big" batteries are not only significantly heavier, but take up additional space. It'd rather have a pair of smaller batteries and a very efficient alternator.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The "Biggest" battery isn't necessarily the most efficient battery. Also, "Big" batteries are not only significantly heavier, but take up additional space. It'd rather have a pair of smaller batteries and a very efficient alternator.
I agree. If I have to choose, for example, between a single Grp 31 or a pair of Grp 34s, I'll take the 34s, regardless of the alternator I'm running.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
2 batteries are always better than 1. Its a bit more work, but you can balance the weight out better with 2 batteries, plus when one goes down, you still have the other. With a single, large battery, if it goes, you're screwed.

As for quality, I've always gone with tractor batteries sold at tractor supply stores. Tough, durable, great warranty, and they were designed for worse than most of us will put them through. Forget the red/yellow/blue tops. Overpriced POCs if you ask me.

Regardless of 1 or 2 batteries, you'll want to upgrade your alternator if you total CCA is higher than stock specs. If you're wanting a "house" battery, you're better off setting that in the cab with a battery minder on the charger for it and on a completely separate power system. Also, for that battery, you'll want a deep cycle marine battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior