Old Ladies Overland Adventure Society, or Mom & Me Drive an XJ from NC to Utah

katuah

Adventurer
day 15/16/17: Santa Fe to OKC to Memphis to home

Another brief visit downtown...

DSC00844 by katuah, on Flickr
DSC00843 by katuah, on Flickr

On the way out of Santa Fe, we could not resist stopping at the Mexican pottery warehouse on Cerrillos Road, where we bought random items of basketry, metalwork and complete silliness. :) Stuffing them into the Jeep was nearly impossible, but I managed.

April2015_download 1144 by katuah, on Flickr
April2015_download 1143 by katuah, on Flickr

Down past Lamy, a small herd of antelope cruised by. And that was about it. It was almost as if they showed up just to say goodbye, so long, see ya next time. From the moment I got on the interstate, it was like the trip had already ended. I really didn’t care any more about stopping, I just wanted to get home. We drove until it got dark and crashed in a generic room in OKC.

A storm woke me late that night, and I laid awake, considering how little I knew about where we were, and what I would do if a tornado came through. The thunder sounded enormous, a whole different tonal quality than back East or in the mountains. The storm was the leading edge of an enormous blanket of moisture; we awoke in rain, drove in rain, crossed the Mississippi in rain. Within only a few days of our return, I would see reports of record rainfall in the Four Corners area, and tornadoes all along our Midwest route. Apparently the universe conspired in our favor to send us home just in time. If we’d pushed on into the Maze or Escalante, we would have had a thoroughly miserable trip the whole way, rather than a bit of rain at the end.

Our Memphis AirBnB for the night was the only one I’ve ever rented that was flat-out bad. A damp basement with “hipster antique” furniture (read: castoffs), and an ancient gas heater that frankly should have been against the law to have connected. Note: If free wine is a selling point in the listing, there’s a reason. The next morning, we were up and gone before daylight, with nothing but a bunch of gas stops and some bad food before finally pulling in at home.

2000+ miles, tons of photos, and many good memories. With some adaptability, we managed to make the best of our complications, and enjoy what we got to do rather than worrying too much about what we didn’t. I’m sure I’ll go back again (I still want to get down in the Maze!), but at 82 Mom probably won’t, so I am profoundly grateful for the chance for us to experience it together.

gt500

Until we passed Asheville NC, the route west was a known quantity. I've driven to and from Asheville so many times I could not count. However, it was a great opportunity for me & mom to experiment with our travel rhythm. One of our first stops would end up setting a precedent for nearly the entire trip: getting a new map with every new state. Turns out my mom is also a map geek, she loves having a physical map in hand, to refer to at any point in the trip. So we made sure to hit every Welcome Center we passed.

I guess I'm not the only one! I'm fascinated with maps and stopping at every Welcome Center is a must for me as well. I also love GPS and digital maps but there is something cool about having the paper one in hand.

Great trip report and photos. Glad you were able to take you mom along. Family always makes my trips more fun.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
Bravo

At long last, a trip report.

I felt like I should do this report not so much because of the places we went (most were not that far off the beaten track) or how we did it (we didn't glamp much at all or use lots of e$oteric gear), but rather because it illustrates the sort of actual "adventure" that many of us end up having instead of that idyllic perfect “expedition.” It turned out to be such an exercise in adapting and flexibility it was a real reminder that fun and adventure are in the eye of the beholder. Wherever you go, there you are.

As most of you know if you read any of my pre-trip planning posts, what started out with the intention of being a mostly-solo trip morphed significantly when my 81-year-old mother decided she wanted to come along with me. I had to prep more, read more, plan more, and generally reduce the physical exertion necessary for each day to be a success…..
I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's just jump on in.

With that preface, one might expect the actual trip report to be fairly mundane. It wasn't. Kudos to you for the great report and to your Mom for participating. Bookmarked for future trip-planning......

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Great Read !

Many thanks from across the Altantic for a nice story of parts of the US we never see..

And have the Lady with you - just awesome !

seeNik48

Adventurer
I enjoyed this TR and hope you have been on others. It was wonderful you could take your mom and what a trooper. I hope your Jeep was repaired and caused you no further problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier