Scepter fuel cans

Ray_G

Explorer
For what kind of application? On a roof rack, inside a truck bed, etc?

You can't go wrong with a milspec jerry can bracket if you are talking the milspec scepter fuel cans, something like this:
http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jerry_can_vehicle_mount.php
There's a range of other options of course from places like Smittybilt (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior...der.aspx?t_c=3&t_s=188&t_pt=8401&t_pn=S/B2798) or Frontrunner but I've always been partial to the original (and usually get them off ebay)

4x4play82

Application to mount on my trailer. Aftermarket ones are designed for metal cans and won't work with the scepter due to them being wider. Front runners do not work hence the reason I have a set in the for sale forum.

Anyone with first hand (hands on) knowledge on ones that will work?

I here adventure trailers has one specific but they are pricey

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Honestly most people just make their own. Maybe steel soldiers or someone knows an adapted military mount. I've made my own in the past without much hassle out of scrap. When you do devise a cap or bar to prevent the easy opening of the cap. Keep honest folks honest. Somebody really wants your gas they will drill or punch a hole and drain it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vati kaki

Observer
a1fdc316656c2d3116355a01aef53bc4.jpg

I use both of the ones posted above.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

4x4play82

Vati Kaki ........are the front ones mil spec? What is the rear?

Also are the front cans water? If so I believe their specs are the same as metal cans. It's my understanding the full cans are wider than the water cans.

paranoid56

Adventurer
my water cans are the same size as the fuel. i picked up some ones from cbi offroad. you can also check metal tech

metal tech
758_1_.jpg

cbi.
dual_can_carrier_ANGLE.jpg

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
So what Vati Kaki posted appears to be two milspec water (MWC) and one milspec fuel (MFC); the dimensions are the same (for obvious reasons). My first hand experience with them both is why I posted the milspec holder in my initial post. Decades of us using them on military vehicles can't be wrong.

The red mounts Vati has on his trailer appear to be blitz mounts (which are based on the milspec version of the mount which can hold either MWC or MFCs).
Nice trailer btw, looks good!

Bohica_Baby

I bought a dual can holder from Adventure Trailers to put on my Eezi-Awn roof rack. Yes, they're expensive, but I wouldn't dismiss it on that alone. Of the ones I looked at, it seemed (to me) to have the best system for securing/capturing the cans. Some of the dual can holders don't have a divider between the two, and I was concerned that would result in some movement if I decided to only load one can.

A couple thoughts/disclosures:
I've got to mount it horizontally (roof rack), and some of them don't look like they're intended to be mounted that way. If you're mounting it vertically, that CBI holder would be worth a look.
I didn't run across that MetalTech holder, but it looks really similar to the AT holder.
As far as the differences between the scepter fuel and water cans, the cans appear to be the same size, but I haven't measured them. The lids definitely have different profiles.

I've got a scepter fuel and water can sitting in it in the garage; if you'd like, I can snap a quick picture if that's helpful.

Bobmog

Observer
Baja Rack

I second the Baja Rack choice.

Attachments

• DSC00698.JPG
    DSC00698.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00702.jpg
    DSC00702.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 49

Forum statistics