Baroud Grand Raid on '02 Tundra?

Flyer69

Observer
Hello ExPo people,

I'm starting an overlander build on my 02 Tundra 4x Ltd AC, and presently I am in the market for a RTT. I've pretty much settled on James Baroud, and now it's a question of what will fit. Initially I thought the new Evasion Evo was the easy choice, but after watching a few youtube vids and looking at as many pics as I could find, I definitely want more space... need to sleep 2 adults and a 7 y.o. without feeling like a sardine. Now I am considering the Grand Raid, but I want to make sure it won't be too wide for the top of my truck. The tent will be mounted on top of my ARE Z-series (cab height) canopy using my Yakima crossbars (3) on the Railrider track system. I will probably fab up some extra internal bracing just because. Does anyone have a similar setup? If so, would you mind sharing some photos?

Thanks!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
The XXL platform tents (Grand Raid, Evasion XXL & Discovery XXL) are going to be the best choice for sleeping 2.5-3 people in comfort. When considering a proper size for your Tundra, you are going to want to measure the length and more importantly the width of your cap. Also how tall are you and the others who will be using the tent? Feel free to ask me any questions you have and I will be happy to help you find the right tent for you and your family.

-Rin

Flyer69

Observer
Hi Rin,
I'm 6' even, and my wife is 5'3". My daughter is 7, not sure of her ht exactly but you get the idea. We are downsizing/upgrading from a 23' Prowler trailer to an adventure-ready Tundra, and I want the widest sleeping area possible in a hardshell tent. My truck bed is 6', so I know it will extend over the cab some and also be wider than the top of my ARE Z-series cap. I have a Yakima rail system now, and am planning to add a 3rd crossbar to help bear the load. I will probably fab up some kind of internal bracing too.

I guess I'm really looking for a little reassurance that the Grand Raid won't look ridiculously oversized. Thanks for the help.:)

Last edited:

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Hi Rin,
I'm 6' even, and my wife is 5'3". My daughter is 7, not sure of her ht exactly but you get the idea. We are downsizing/upgrading from a 23' Prowler trailer to an adventure-ready Tundra, and I want the widest sleeping area possible in a hardshell tent. My truck bed is 6', so I know it will extend over the cab some and also be wider than the top of my ARE Z-series cap. I have a Yakima rail system now, and am planning to add a 3rd crossbar to help bear the load. I will probably fab up some kind of internal bracing too.

I guess I'm really looking for a little reassurance that the Grand Raid won't look ridiculously oversized. Thanks for the help.:)

The 6' bed and 3 bar system sounds sufficient for the XXL sized tents. I dig the idea of the internal "skeleton" and recommend it over the long haul for good insurance. Here is some shots of our RAM with an 8' bed and the Grand Raid tent.

utah1_zps55010b49.jpg

NJ1_zps931a1533.jpg

Dartman

Hello ExPo people,

I'm starting an overlander build on my 02 Tundra 4x Ltd AC, and presently I am in the market for a RTT. I've pretty much settled on James Baroud, and now it's a question of what will fit. Initially I thought the new Evasion Evo was the easy choice, but after watching a few youtube vids and looking at as many pics as I could find, I definitely want more space... need to sleep 2 adults and a 7 y.o. without feeling like a sardine. Now I am considering the Grand Raid, but I want to make sure it won't be too wide for the top of my truck. The tent will be mounted on top of my ARE Z-series (cab height) canopy using my Yakima crossbars (3) on the Railrider track system. I will probably fab up some extra internal bracing just because. Does anyone have a similar setup? If so, would you mind sharing some photos?

Thanks!

Not an exact comparison, but maybe these pics can help a little. We really wanted the Grand Raid for our 04 Sequoia SR5 (I believe the same dimensions as your Tundra up front), but after laying it on top of our rack it just seemed a bit too big. We ended up with the Explorer Evo, which really fits nicely. That said, I think you could get away with the Grand Raid if you needed too. Given that you are three people, I think it would make a big difference in comfort and long-term camping happiness.

The pic of the white one is a Grand Raid, which was just placed on top as a trial. The black one is our Explorer Evo, with various views for comparison. Good luck with your decision. We couldn't be happier with the James Baroud. It's really helped transform our camping experience.

Attachments

• 20150512_144926_resized.jpg
    20150512_144926_resized.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20150616_192046.jpg
    20150616_192046.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20150616_192059.jpg
    20150616_192059.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 41
  • 20150830_181420.jpg
    20150830_181420.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20151128_155222_resized.jpg
    20151128_155222_resized.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 39
  • 20151108_082829.jpg
    20151108_082829.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 45

Flyer69

Observer
Thanks Dartman. Great pics too... the black looks sharp. So do you feel like 2 adults and a 7 y.o. could be reasonably comfortable in the Explorer Evo? Also, what is the difference between the Evasion and the Explorer? As far as I can tell, the dimensions are the same.

BTW, who did you buy from? They were really nice to test-fit you with the Grand Raid.

Last edited:

Dartman

Thanks Dartman. Great pics too... the black looks sharp. So do you feel like 2 adults and a 7 y.o. could be reasonably comfortable in the Explorer Evo? Also, what is the difference between the Evasion and the Explorer? As far as I can tell, the dimensions are the same.

BTW, who did you buy from? They were really nice to test-fit you with the Grand Raid.

Everyone's defintion of "reasonably comfortable" is different. One thing which helped us was to put masking tape on the floor in the dimensions of each of the tents footprints and lie down inside the lines with the family/bags/pillows. It will give you an idea of what you're dealing with. Also, keep in mind that your 7 year old isn't getting any smaller!

I believe that the main difference is that the Explorer has the luggage/tire compartment on the roof, and the Evasion doesn't.

We got ours from Nomad Ventures in Escondido, CA, about 30 minutes north of San Diego. They were great to deal with, and had two models on the floor that you could get check out in detail. That made a big difference for us.

Flyer69

Observer
Ended up going with the Evasion Evo... a much better fit than the Grand Raid XXL. I bought mine through Bruce at Nomad Ventures also. He's a really nice guy, and his crew did a fine job on the installation. Bruce even followed up with me a few days later to thank me for my business and make sure everything was right. That goes a long way with me, and I HIGHLY recommend buying from them if you're in the market for anything overland or outdoors.

Here are a few photos of the before and after: :ylsmoke:

Before RTT.jpg

Front Qtr.jpg

Qtr View.jpg

Side View.jpg

Spring.jpg

I just ordered the JB awning, and will be adding the wall kit in the future to create a room. I shopped around quite a bit, and I have to say I really like the design, quality, and fabric of the JB over all the others I looked at.

chaingangster

Observer
IMG_2612.jpg

We have a similar truck! You mentioned you have a seven year old... Has he/she been comfortable and content in the back of the access cab? We have a two and a four year old back there, still with carseats, and its quite tight. I'm hoping when they're past carseat stage, it'll open up a little room for them (those carseats are bulky), but I'm curious about your perspective with an older child back there.

In retrospect I almost wish we'd bought the double-cab, but our access cab is paid off with low miles and I don't want to buy another truck if we can work with it as the kids grow. Thanks in advance for any input!

Flyer69

Observer
Chaingangster, I'm in the same exact boat as far as wishing I'd bought a DC. Bought my AC new, and it currently has 180k on it, runs flawlessly, and it's paid off.

My daughter still uses a booster, but she will be heavy enough to forego it soon. My wife is short, so daughter sits behind wife and both are happy. :sombrero: I think there is enough room, and daughter doesn't complain. I do wish she had a window to roll down though. I usually give her 1/2 a dramamine for road trips as cheap insurance, and she does just fine. Once the booster is gone, she could probably lay down back there (buckled up, of course...).

I think my next rig will be a 100 series LC, or... a 4wd Sprinter van! How cool would THAT be with my new RTT on it?:ylsmoke: How do you like your LC? Is that a Tepui RTT on your rig?

Dartman

Flyer69,

Congrats on the James Baroud. Hopefully you will love it as much as we do. Looks great on the Tundra. We are really interested in adding the awning, so please keep us posted on your experiences with it once you get it.

Dartman

chaingangster

Observer
Flyer, We love our Land Cruiser, and we often switch the tent back and forth between the Tundra and the Cruiser. I prefer to drive the Cruiser (more comfy for the kids, their windows roll down, better off road), but we often end up with so much stuff on our trips (the dog, fishing gear, inflatable kayak, bikes, etc etc) that we take the Tundra because we can fit so much more in the back.

I too dream of a 4x4 Sprinter, but even still, they're fairly big, and their approach/departure isn't so good, and I can't count the number of times we've mashed the Tundra or Cruiser up some washed out road or across some creek to reach an amazing campsite. Those off the beaten path, dispersed camp spots are our favorite! Ideally, we'd have a 4x4 Sprinter High Roof for the longer roadish trips, and a DC Tundra with a FWC for the more off road oriented trips. But we haven't won the lottery yet, ha ha. In the mean time, the tents been great! And it is a CVT.

K2director

Ended up going with the Evasion Evo... a much better fit than the Grand Raid XXL.

Hi Flyer69,

Just curious how the Evasion Evo is holding up for your family, now that your daughter is 8? Still fitting in there?

I've been contemplating an Evasion Evo or the XXL (which is the same dimensions are a Grand Raid) for my 2016 4Runner. The XXL would definitely be very big on the roof, but I'm having a hard time imagining us being comfortable in anything but the bigger size! But maybe you have a different experience...

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier