Making 12v sockets always on

montero98ls

Observer
Hey everyone, I am trying to get my 12v sockets to stay on just like other vehicles do from the factory. My plan was to get a add a circuit with appropriate fuse and tap into a 12v constant power source, but when going under the dash I can't seem to get the fuse box all the way out, seems like it has another bolt on top. Is there another way of going about this? I went to pull the wire from the 12v socket that connects at the box and add it to a constant source. Has anyone else done this? I was thinking I could just pull the connector off and remove the wire there but was unable to find a good diagram so wanted to get it down as a whole and probe it to see which one to pull. I really don't feel like pulling the dash apart to get the whole thing down. Reason for doing this is to have a fridge in the back plugged in and stay on all the time and also to charge phones and stuff when vehicle is off. Not really worried about killing a battery since I have a decent agm and plan to do a dual battery system, yes space is a bit tight, I've searched and read that someone kept a small battery in the rear that would power the fridge and get plugged in the socket when driving to charge it but don't want to have to do that and also wouldn't be able to charge anything else up front, really trying to get something intergrated instead of having to always connect it.

Thanks.

Also this is on a 95 SR.

plh

Explorer
In Gen 3 there is a relay under the dash that can be removed and jumpered to always "on" guessing its the same for Gen 2. Take a look in the FSM for the relay location.

tarditi

Explorer
You may want to just add more rather than convert them all to hot with a hack.

FWIW, a fridge may benefit from a dedicated, fused outlet (I have an ARB setup for my 50qt) directly to battery to prevent voltage drop.

I also like having switched on for the 12v outlets for my GPS, so it turns on and off with the vehicle.
I have separate constant on 12v source for charging electronics - but use a dedicated outlet for this (also has built-in USB) http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PB8CQI. You may also want an inverter or something too...

plh

Explorer
You may want to just add more rather than convert them all to hot with a hack.

FWIW, a fridge may benefit from a dedicated, fused outlet (I have an ARB setup for my 50qt) directly to battery to prevent voltage drop.

I agree with this statement for a fridge. I have a dedicated line for my Edgestar.

montero98ls

Observer
I used to have an inverter in the front that went straight to the battery but was big and in the way. I have since purchased a smaller one and will flush mount it by the shifter. I think I'll just add another socket in the cargo area for the fridge, at first I didn't want to add more wires running everywhere but I think that'll be a much easy route .

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94