BETWEEN IRONMAN AND ARB

alfredkalt

alfredkalt
I live in Guatemala, Central America. I have a Prado 2006 / 120 series and Iam planning to equip it for off-road overland adventures. I found a well stocked Ironman dealer but not an ARB store. My question is whether to order the ARB suspension kit , bullbar, lights etc with the hassles of shipping delays etc,or just purchase Ironman products locally.
I am aware of the ARB cult but would like to know objectively if the quality/price is really that different. I checked on the web and Ironman products have been around for about 50 years. Also I didn't find one single review against ARB or other products.
Would appreciate some feedback thank you.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I would run Ironman. The products are just as good as ARB, better priced, and local (for you). That seems like a no brainer!

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I would run Ironman. The products are just as good as ARB, better priced, and local (for you). That seems like a no brainer!

Agreed. While I certainly own a lot of ARB gear, both IM and TJM have some very competitive products too. The IM springs I run on my '96 FZJ80s are much better than the OME ones I run on my '94 FZJ80.

I don't like the ironman bull bar!!!! I think the arb is stouter. I wish I had went with the arb! Can't comment on the rest of their stuff.

lugueto

Adventurer
They're direct competition, so their products are pretty much the same quality wise!

As far as suspension goes, Ironman kits are a bit stiffer than their OME counterparts, but they both handle very well. The only downside to Ironman is that their shock bushings are CRAP. Maybe this is an issue they solved already, though.

I'm sure locally bought products will be cheaper than imported products, so why not? If you dislike any of their products, buy other ones. I would buy the suspension locally, even the bullbar if they have decent ones (not the chrome-on-hammered-paint behemoths they used to sell)

gerardines

Observer
somehow the ironman coils seems to loose height in front live axle vehicles (with weight like steel bumper and winch), while in ifs they don't have that problem ... seem from my friends trucks most of them LC 80 and 105 series.
the ome maintain the same height for many years

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
IM springs have been on my '96 for 8 years with no sagging or loss of performance under full overland load, still handles like a rally car on gravel roads. The truck has been outfitted with approximately 300kg of armor (bumpers, sliders, skid plates, winch) and another 200kg of cargo load for overlanding (fridge, tools, spares, tents, tables, luggage).

I cannot say the same of OME springs I run my '94.

Only important point to note is that the IM springs are stiff (for high cargo capacity) and do restrict suspension articulation (and thus traction) when not fully loaded. If you are doing more day trip 4wheeling, and not much multi day/week overlanding, OME medium may be better suited for your use.

Note: I think the IM coils I have are double progressive, perhaps made by King for IM, which explains their ride quality.

P1010013.jpg

Last edited:

alfredkalt

alfredkalt
Thanks for the valuable feedback guys . I have proceeded to install the IM Bullbar and medium suspension.
Now I have another question : what brand of all terrain tires should I buy? I heard that Cooper Disvoverer At/3 is the best.
Txs

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Depends on where you plan to go and how much time between tarmac/gravel/mud. And what is available in GT.

Cooper are excellent tires, also look at Discoverer ST and new STT.

BFG KO2s are getting great reviews. (I run KM2s in central america but its more MT than AT)

GY Duratracs wear very well, and have good lock up on gravel, I'm on 2nd set. (but warning: have soft side walls when aired down)

You may want to look into Firestone Destination RVT, it is an amazing AT. I have not run but I have probably a dozen buddies that run them in Central America. They wear well, low road noise, and have good lock up on gravel. If you are near a Pricesmart check there for best pricing. And they are made in CR so you are not paying +15% more to import form US or Can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles