ARB portable compressor

lchavez

Observer
Anyone have experience with the smaller of the ARB portable compressor kit. Mainly just looking for a compact reliable compressor for tires. I seam to always find nails no matter how far off the beaten path I am.
7c2580e172f4f5770c4c56d8d779e67a.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I bought one of those to hardmount in my Tundra, but have not installed or used it yet. When I was looking at small OBA compressors (emphasis on "small"), that and one of the Viairs seemed like the best things going.

amo292

Adventurer
I think the Superflow MV-50 Air compressor fits your needs pretty well. They are widely used in the off road world. I just picked one up at the end of summer and absolutely love it. Its a bit slow, as to be expected, but it gets the job done no problem. I run 285/70/17s that are just over 33" and it does well. It also super compact in its little carrying case so its easy to stuff anywhere.

Seems I may be too late but here is the link. They have it the cheapest out of everyone but that may change with holiday sales.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/acce...erflow-mv-50-air-compressor-mf-1050-mv50.html

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
$250 is an outstanding deal for the ARB. I looked at the MV-50 before I bought the ARB for the Tundra, but the MV-50 won't physically fit in the space where I will mount the ARB. Amazon lists the MV-50 as being "discontinued by the manufacturer" but I might just get one to carry as a backup to the OBA on my other truck.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I haven't had any luck with the MV-50 working. Over the years, I've had a few. They never seem to work when you need them to. Junk IMO.

Pay the extra $$$ to get quality because when you are out there, you need your equipment to work. Had my MV-50 fail on me 2 weekends ago. Ended up driving to a gas station 45 minutes away...crawling since the truck was aired down. Blew like, $5 at one of those stupid coin air compressors.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I haven't had any luck with the MV-50 working. Over the years, I've had a few. They never seem to work when you need them to. Junk IMO.

What is failing on them?

There are some easy hacks to make them much more reliable.

Ive been running one for a few years now, airing back up to 65-70PSI every time with the camper loaded.

It never has any issues. Though I did perform some simple mods on mine.

lchavez

Observer
ARB portable kit is in and I like it. The switch is lighted, the compressor only runs when your using it (saves the battery) and it all fits well in the box. I also ordered the gauge which connects in line with the air hose and also acts as a deflator. Deflation and inflation are not super fast, but it feels like a solid reliable unit.
7ef8c5869d806e2c4176f11f09b0da0d.jpg

geo.greg

Observer
I have the Smittybuilt 2781. has worked like a champ more times that i wish to count. (how about 5 flat tires on a single run on one jeep?) carry case is crap, but the unit seems to be well built and hasnt failed me yet.... (maybe i shouldnt have said that)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
ARB portable kit is in and I like it. The switch is lighted, the compressor only runs when your using it (saves the battery) and it all fits well in the box. I also ordered the gauge which connects in line with the air hose and also acts as a deflator. Deflation and inflation are not super fast, but it feels like a solid reliable unit.
7ef8c5869d806e2c4176f11f09b0da0d.jpg
Glad you like it. None of them are real fast. I just read my Viair 440P pumps a 37" tire from 0-30 psi in three minutes. That's bull. It takes me over 20 minutes to air four 35" tires from 10 to 26 psi and that's if I'm in a hurry. It's about 1/2 hour stop to air up.

MOguy

Explorer
I have had the small ARB for their lockers since 2001 and no issues using it for the lockers, never tried using it for anything else. I had an MV50 for about six years (hard wired) and screwed it up when relocating it, my fault. I got another one a few years back and it has worked fine.

If you want a great performing fast compressor get a belt driven. If you want a good 12 volt Viair seems to offer them for less money compared to the ARB. For me it is hard to justify spending much on a 12 volt compressor after the success I have had with my cheap MV50.

ramonortiz55

Adventurer
There is a dual arb compressor at a pawn shop in town for $200.

I am debating if either Co2 setup or an air compressor like that dual.

If people are taking forever to air up with a mini compressor, i wonder if I want to think twice in regard of going the compressor route

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior