LR4 Top lift gate failure

dsm02c

Adventurer
Went out to use the LR4 on Tuesday and the upper trunk hatch wouldn't release, no noise from actuator. After some (probably useless) pounding on the lower lift gate it opened. I had the trunk latch go bad in my LR3 and this was not the same fault.

The info center is returning a message that the tailgate is open, even when closed.

I got back home after my round trip to Houston and set to work, I incorrectly made the assumption the latch itself was stuck or bad and replaced it, the unit worked for 10-15 activations then decided to quit again.

I got the trunk back open and put the meter on it. I have continuity from the upper tailgate switch, the switch to the actuator, I then decided it was time to replace the actuator, "that had to be it", it's not. Now the latch isn't even firing at all, on either unit,

I finally pulled out the IIDTOOL (where I should have started) and found fault codes for the trunk latch having grounded itself, of course before saving the codes I tried to (stupidly) clear them and can't recall or pull them now.

Has anyone had this issue with their LR3/4? If so where did the harness or connector fail?

Time to hand over some money to TOPIX for wiring diagrams. :oops::oops::oops:

KyleT

Explorer
Check the lower latch. Iirc it goofs the upper one if it goes wonky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lift gate switch cable broke and I modified the factory one to a better aviation grade crimp/swage that will never come off again. Bit of a pain but I figured the effort to get to the cable was enough for me to not want to have to go in there again. I thought the actuator was bad as well but then I jumped it away from the truck system and it worked perfectly. That led me to believe ground or something as well. Once I cleaned and greased the connectors after the cable fix, I have not had any problems on the lift gate.

Hood switch failed on me too. Kept getting the "bonet open" light. Checked grounds and then metered the switch. My alarm kept going off and I thought it was battery related but it turned out the bonet switch was bad. Easy fix and much cheaper than the lift gate actuator but the indicators are the same so I figured I'd give you my experiences for assistance to hopefully save you money.

I have been getting into a better habit of anytime I pull a connector, I clean it regardless and reseal with dielectric grease since my Landy spends so much time in the Hawaii humidity and all the off-roading I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online