N-Fab RSP Front Bumpers w/Light Mounts

TXJFrosty

thinking about picking one of these up... anyone have any experience with them?

http://autocustoms.com/p-7592-n-fab-...ight-tabs.aspx

if anyone has a used one for sale, I'd be interested in that too.

7592.jpg

f114rsp-3.jpg

5514337800x600img_0308.jpg

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
N-Fab quality is not what it used to be. I have two sets of N-Fab steps and an N-Fab light bar. The light bar is complete crap. Sloppy welds, poorly aligned components, crimped bends, spatter everywhere under the powdercoat, and the thing just does not fit. By the time I had tried to actually install it on my truck, I had done so much cutting and grinding that it wasn't returnable. Had to drill and retap their welded captive nuts because they were not even aligned with the laser-punched holes in their own brackets. Had to egg-shape a bunch of their mounting holes to get the bar to align with the frame. Had the bar on and off the truck six or seven times trying to get everything lined up. Had to jack up the truck from one side of the bar to try to level the bar, didn't work. As soon as I can get a different bar, this one is going into a dumpster. If you buy their bumper, my suggestion is to buy it locally so that it is easy to return if it's as bad as mine is.

The two sets of N-Fab nerf steps are fine, but they are rusting badly from the inside out on one truck. I called them about their lifetime warranty and they told me that only covers rusting from the outside. When the inside rusts, you are on your own. Word to the wise and all that...

calstar

Observer
The two sets of N-Fab nerf steps are fine, but they are rusting badly from the inside out on one truck. I called them about their lifetime warranty and they told me that only covers rusting from the outside. When the inside rusts, you are on your own. Word to the wise and all that...

That is insane, it is a major quality control issue, no way is it the buyers responsibility. The tubing interior was either rusted when fabricated or some sloppy welds let moisture in, either way this should be on them to replace. Very poor business model for a small business. If n-fab has any response to this I'd like to hear it.

Brian

moabian

I would not recommend N-Fab either. I just received their Rock Rails for a 2016 GMC Canyon yesterday. They mount to the body rather than to the frame, so are more ornamental than protective. Their website does not mention that they are body-mounted. I simply assumed they mounted to the frame since all of the rock rails I've installed on previous Jeeps and trucks have been frame-mounted. And the hardware kit was short 25% of the necessary bolts, washers and clips. They refused to send the missing pieces via Express, so now I'm waiting 6 days for the rest of the hardware to install the 2nd rail. I seriously doubt that I could find the correct sized Tinnerman clips at either of Moab's 2 hardware stores. In addition, the passenger side rail arrived with a large 1/2"-square chip in the textured powdercoat in the most noticeable location possible. This doesn't say much for the quality of the powdercoat or for N-Fab's quality control. The chip happened prior to shipping or packaging. I also noticed some spatter under the powdercoating. I'm tempted to return them and buy a higher quality product from another manufacturer.

Last edited:

TXJFrosty

WOW! That's crap. Thanks for the feedback guys... Guess I'll pass on that bumper.

I want to get an aftermarket bumper but I don't care much for many of the big bulky looking ones out there. I want a smaller bumper to increase approach angles a bit more.

Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
That is insane, it is a major quality control issue, no way is it the buyers responsibility. The tubing interior was either rusted when fabricated or some sloppy welds let moisture in, either way this should be on them to replace. Very poor business model for a small business. If n-fab has any response to this I'd like to hear it.
As far as I can tell, they do not coat the tubing insides at all. At those prices one would expect at least a dip of some kind, but it looks like raw steel inside. Problem is compounded on the nerf steps by the fact that they ship with a plastic plug in the back of the main tube, where the tube is cut at 90 degrees. At the front of the main tube there is a gentle bend in the tubing to tuck the front end behind the wheel arch, so the tubing is cut on a bias at that point. Thus the hole is not round and there is no plug. When I called N-Fab I asked about the foolishness of plugging the rear and leaving the front end wide open to take in water and mud. Got no coherent answer to that one, so it looks like the plan is to crawl under the truck with a hose and flush the mud out with a pressure washer or strong hose nozzle. When I did that, there were chunks of rusty metal coming out the other end. Not good for long term prospects. These steps were a replacement for a set of ****tybilts that nearly rusted through in the first year. And I'm in Southern California where it hasn't rained in five years. Just proves what Little Richard once said: "Money can't buy quality."

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
My own experience with bumper shopping is that your best option when ordering a bumper from a dealer is to call them directly and ask questions. If you don't get satisfactory answers, then don't use them. You could also try going to a local fabrication shop and show them what you want. You'll want the kind of shop that advertises by word of mouth since they're always going to have good quality and good service. If there is something wrong, you can usually get them to fix it right then and there. The best ones will lay out any pros and cons of your design and discuss it with you down to the last detail until you're satisfied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles