$379 to change at timing belt at the Toyota dealer?

Clutch

<---Pass
Does seem a little low, though I have had private Toyota mechanics do mine for around $600, including WP.

Last edited:

Blender

Adventurer
That's inline with last time I had mine done on a v8 tundra $350. The only catch is they will likely charge additional labor for the waterpump. Personally I swap the waterpump every other timing belt.

All Aloha

This service cost $850 for my '02 Tacoma (3.4 V6). The service consist of change the timing belt, tension rollers, water pump, and the other belts.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Sounds way too light, making me wonder what they're leaving out. When doing a timing belt, changing all of that ancillary stuff bolted on the front of the motor is a must, especially the idler wheels, etc. Seriously, they have to remove the old worn water pump anyway, why not replace it while they're there? It's this stuff that pushes the price up. Go somewhere else and have it done right.

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer
Am I missing something? I thought I remember reading here and other places that it normally ran $800-$1200.

I use a Toyota specific independent shop in Missoula, MT that charged me somewhere in that neighborhood for my GX470 timing belt last year, and the same reasonable price for my 2000 3.4l 4Runner. In both cases I did the water pump, which was a bit more. The shop is very reputable, honest, and has reasonable rates. There are great independents out there, just getting harder and harder to find. $379 at a DEALER seems really surprising though.

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
I know dealer service centers like to do things like take a loss on oil changes and similar services to get folks coming in the door regularly, but that's not usually the case with real labor/service items. I had my timing belt/water pump/tension pulleys/etc done last year by a local independent shop, after pricing it out all over town. The dealer was actually the cheapest quote, by just a little bit, but I had heard to many bad stories over the preceding 3-4 months to feel comfortable going there (recent change of ownership and a total leadership change at the same time; not uncommon for stuff to be in flux in those situations). But, the quote for the parts alone was more than $350 at the dealer. Are you sure they gave you a total service quote, and not just the parts (belt, pulleys, water pump, etc)?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Likely it's just the belt and labor. They'll give you a full quote for the the rest after they pull your truck in to do the work.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
The advantage to the Toyota dealer doing it is you get the dealer sticker under the hood with the date and mileage the work was done, and it's Toyota parts which seem to last so much longer than autoparts store stuff (especially water pumps). If you decide to sell the truck, it's peace of mind for the buyer.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
What's this for? Your profile lists 2 'Burbs and a new Foz- all of which have timing chains.
When I did the belt on my 5VZ, it took 5 hours with hand tools. I swapped just the belt. ONLY hard part was getting the crank bolt loose. If everything is tight/quiet, I don't see the benefit to replacing the other stuff, at least not for the 1st (or subsequent odd number belts). So if this shop has a tech good at this, he can probably do it in just over an hour (two at the most). That means plenty of money made and they get your business.

wingysataday

Adventurer
my local dealer does the same thing, It does not include waterpump, that's an extra $200+-. My dealership told me if it aint leaking don't replace it. I did anyways for peace of mind but it's not required.

soazchad

Chadman
That's a great price. Did the 90k service recommended by Toyota,timing belt, fluids etc. no mention of replacing the water pump. They designed it I would think they know what's best. Follow the recommended service that Toyota established and you should be good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94