Questions for Australian travel

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I'd like the think the weather wouldn't stop me too much, but I might be biting my tongue on that one later.

Just let me know something else (and this is directed at anyone/everyone): is there anything from Canada that people in Australia would love as gifts? My friend told me to take ice wine, my friends in Florida love maple syrup, and I've even had someone ask about fur products (I think they may have been joking a bit). So, provided I have room in my luggage, I have no problems taking things with me......also providing there are no legal issues either.

Listen to the guys who say the weather in the north will affect you. Apart from the major highways nothing moves during the wet up there. And it is hot and well "wet". Not pleasant. You also are in cyclone season which is nothing to be sneezed. If you start in Sydney/Brisbane and head south then west you will see a lot of the country. By the time you get to Perth (WA) then it may be feasible to head further north.

As for gifts, furs, animal products, raw wood carvings, seeds etc are always good. That is if you like to be spread eagle against the wall naked, with the customs office standing behind putting on his rubber gloves. :Wow1: Australia is very particular about what they let in and for very valid reasons.

ssapach

Adventurer
Don't worry, I have no intentions of bringing any sketchy items with me, I have enough luck with airport security as it is. I'm usually the lucky winner for random searches.

leejj09

From my memory of owning cars in Aus nothing that was ever needed desperately was sent by the mail regarding the car. That is, all proof of ownership is online and transfer of ownership is online/mail anyway, no car papers/proof of insurance is needed (insurance isn't compulsory but probably should say its recommended before someone bites my head off). I could be wrong with some of this though...

I used juicy campers when in NZ and they pretty much hit the nail on the head for what needed. Nothing flash but it does the job! Anything more than a couple months rental can be expensive though and you don't have the potential resale value. Flip side though, the car is likely to be reliable (or at least you can tear them a new one if it isn't) which is better than the ~$2000 or so in repairs i've had to spend on my camper van whilst we currently travel Europe. You also are less likely to have your hand forced into buying a car that you don't quite want out of pure lack of choice (sometimes the right car doesn't show up for weeks or its too far away and getting there is a pain in the *** in the mean time you have to pay $30/night or something for a bed in a hostel).

I guess what I'm saying is that there are some serious pros and cons of both sides that only you can weigh up but you probably already knew that. Buying your own car can see yourself come waaaaaay out infront if things go well but it has bigger risks involved whilst the rental car is super simple but bloody pricey. Personally, i have chosen to buy cars in USA and currently in Europe as we figure even if we sunk a bit in for repairs and then wrote the car off it would typically come to the cost of a rental on an extend trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke