Clancy '97 D1 Build

Trail-Tailor

Observer
Bought this rig for R&D for my new Disco armor products...... BUT, I just can't leave well enough alone.

Started off baselining the standard maintenance items. Fluids, plugs, hoses, belt, brakes, rotors, calipers etc..

2" TerraFirma HD lift kit in progress currently. Ordered u-joints and new flex coupler. Finished up my BAK-PAK-RAK and first round of front bumper. I have some changes on the bumper, but it is pretty much done.

Things to come:

Exterior
ComeUp winch Seal Gen 2 9.5
235 85 16 tires (need to decide which ones, Duratracs are in the lead currently)
Rock sliders
Rear bumper with integrated swing arm and RotoPax cans
Rear cargo side baskets
Differential covers
---Possible Monstaliner exterior---

Interior
Clean up carpet
Wet Okole seat covers
Tint Windows
WeatherTech floor mats
Upgrade stereo system

Things with my builds change from mod to mod, so ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!

JasonP1030530.JPGP1030880.jpgP1030883.jpgP1030887.jpgP1030896.jpgP1030934.JPG

barukinzs

Observer
I like the clean lines of the front bumper. I'm looking for other options for my rear bumper with a swing arm, interested on what you come up here.

Trail-Tailor

Observer
I like the clean lines of the front bumper. I'm looking for other options for my rear bumper with a swing arm, interested on what you come up here.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll have the rear bumper prototype complete in a week to 10 days. I can PM or email you once its done if you would like.

Jason

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Just my 2 cents but please do not bedliner the exterior. Nothing makes a truck go from "cool trail rig" to "redneck contraption" faster than a rhinoliner exterior. I'd much rather see some scratches in the paint than texturized rubber. Plus that red is pretty rare in an SUV. Keep it. It's cool.

Trail-Tailor

Observer
Just my 2 cents but please do not bedliner the exterior. Nothing makes a truck go from "cool trail rig" to "redneck contraption" faster than a rhinoliner exterior. I'd much rather see some scratches in the paint than texturized rubber. Plus that red is pretty rare in an SUV. Keep it. It's cool.

Rhino is too rough and rubbery. The material I use can be manipulated to get the texture you want and is an extremely hard material. My old FJ60 looked great IMO with a very light texture. I've used this on 5 projects and it is great. Washes easily, tough as hell, doesn't fade and I can die tint it to match the factory OEM color.

Different strokes for different folks.

Jason

Goss2.JPGGoss1.JPGGoss3.JPG

Phoo

Observer
Ooohh, that FJ60 is purty!
Agreed, bedliner can look quite nice depending on how it's applied. I'm looking to do the same with my own beast this spring. Please post up your process if/when you get to it!

Ray_G

Explorer
I love the color of that Disco, I'd suggest if you go with bedliner mimic what you did on the FJ as that will accentuate it well without going too far.
It will be interesting to see how you feel about the TF suspension; the price is right but I hated my shocks from them and eventually went back to OME and eventually to a Bilstein/Fox mix front/rear. The springs seem to be decent enough.

The back pack rack is very nice and would likely garner some interest here and on Discoweb and other places depending on price point. Front bumper looks pretty good too, I look forward to seeing what else you have cooking.
r-
Ray

Trail-Tailor

Observer
I love the color of that Disco, I'd suggest if you go with bedliner mimic what you did on the FJ as that will accentuate it well without going too far.
It will be interesting to see how you feel about the TF suspension; the price is right but I hated my shocks from them and eventually went back to OME and eventually to a Bilstein/Fox mix front/rear. The springs seem to be decent enough.

The back pack rack is very nice and would likely garner some interest here and on Discoweb and other places depending on price point. Front bumper looks pretty good too, I look forward to seeing what else you have cooking.
r-
Ray

Ray, Thanks

I don't wheel too much anymore. Mainly high altitude desert plains here in WY. BLM camping, misc lakes, rivers mountain trails. I run my rigs heavy with gear and armor. I've heard mixed reviews of the Terrafirma kits, but for 1/2 the price of the OME and Terrain Tamer kits, I'll give it a try and see how it works for my needs.

If I go with the liner it will be the same as the OE color. I have some surface rust around the window channels that need addressed. While I'm pretty decent at bodywork and painting, the liner will disguise anything I miss. Like I originally posted I bought this rig for R&D purposes and for 750$ to boot. It runs great. It needed a good brake job, cleaning and baselining. The PO couldn't get it to pass Salt Lake emissions with the lights on, etc. We don't have emissions or state inspections so a win all around for me.

The front bumper still needs a little trimming and rework to soften the look a tad.

I also will have a Lo-Pro EXPO RTT rack in the works as well.

Jason

Trail-Tailor

Observer
My Moog U-joints and a pair of my custom built spindles arrived today. These will be the standard for all my Rover bumpers. Flex coupler is en-route.

These spindles are nice and will work well with the integrated swing arm.

J

Attachments

• P1040118.JPG
    P1040118.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 51
  • P1040120.JPG
    P1040120.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 50

voodoojk

Adventurer
I love that 60! Monster liner is nice stuff and not your typical " bed liner" I plan on using it on my 80 series in the spring.

studflucker

attachment.php

I'm working on the plans to build my own front bumper right now as well.

What guage of steel did you use for the main bumper and what is the outer diameter and thickness of the tubing you used for the 'brush guard' portion of the bumper.

Also based on these specs how heavy do you feel the bumper is in comparison with say an ARB???

I'd also be curious of the underside and how you went about the mounting of the bumper. if you snapped a pic of the underside that would be awesome and i'd even be willing to pay you 100 internet points! :sombrero:

Just trying to cover all my basis. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:

Trail-Tailor

Observer
I'm working on the plans to build my own front bumper right now as well.

What guage of steel did you use for the main bumper and what is the outer diameter and thickness of the tubing you used for the 'brush guard' portion of the bumper.

Also based on these specs how heavy do you feel the bumper is in comparison with say an ARB???

I'd also be curious of the underside and how you went about the mounting of the bumper. if you snapped a pic of the underside that would be awesome and i'd even be willing to pay you 100 internet points! :sombrero:

Just trying to cover all my basis. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I use 3/16" plate for the shell. The winch plate is 1/4" and the frame mounts/recovery point is all one piece, made out of 1/2". Tube is 2" OD x .188" wall HREW. My production bumpers have 2" OD x .120" wall DOM tube for all bars.

J

NW40

Explorer
I'll definitely be following this build! I like the simplicity of your bumper, and sounds like it's designed well for actual recovery use.

Curious to see where you go with new products for the D1. I've always liked the idea of a rear swing-away bumper; just not sure if I'd want to add the extra weight to my rig. The 300Tdi has its limits, and I'm usually already loaded down with 3-4 adults + gear for trips. Anyhow, cool stuff in the works here!

Trail-Tailor

Observer
I'll definitely be following this build! I like the simplicity of your bumper, and sounds like it's designed well for actual recovery use.

Curious to see where you go with new products for the D1. I've always liked the idea of a rear swing-away bumper; just not sure if I'd want to add the extra weight to my rig. The 300Tdi has its limits, and I'm usually already loaded down with 3-4 adults + gear for trips. Anyhow, cool stuff in the works here!

Well that just it... Most recovery points on bumpers are a BIG thick 3/4" wide piece of metal welded on one side to 1/8"-3/16" plate...NO THANKS... I've actually pulled 3- 1/2" grade 8 bolts through a 3/16" frame channel before.... YES, this design, like all my stuff is overkill, but the frame will give up before my products will..

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz