Lance 860 emerges from the weeds

Lance990

Observer
One of the great things about my camper vs. the newer Lances is the overall height. The top of my AC measures 10.5 feet loaded in the bed. Some of the newer ones are 12 feet or more. While that is still taller than a popup, it does help lower the center of gravity. I cannot sit up straight in my cabover but it's not for sitting, anyway. I intend to do some cold weather camping this year if it ever gets cold here in KY (highs in the 60's and 70's right now). When the snow starts piling up, I get the itch to load up the camper and get out into the weather. I've tent camped in some pretty frigid temperatures so having a fully-equipped Lance is a breeze. Plus, the weight in the rear over the 4.10 LSD DRW helps keep the rig moving forward. For me, it's the best time to camp: fewer people out, no bugs, quiet and because there is nothing else I would rather do.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Hugh,
I like the way you think. Ours is 10', 4" tall only because we have a 3" lift all around, taller tires and it's a 4WD which gets the truck bed elevation yet farther from the ground. In the stock format, it was 10', 0" tall. Of course, you can tell we're never going to be in the south in the summer without that AC. In a contest between a 4WD/TC, or a LSD diff'd 2WD/TC with a GREAT 6 speed or wide ratio automatic transmission with an abundance of *cooling, the 2WD wins every time in my book..... Only with that abundance of trans *cooling.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
jefe

Lance990

Observer
One of the first things I did to my truck was have the E4OD tranny serviced and added an auxiliary trans cooler. I also had the rear LSD serviced to make sure the clutch packs were not worn so I could have some confidence that it would work properly in low traction conditions. The cooler helps with hauling the 3,800 lbs camper and keeps the tranny temps down. I am considering adding the Banks Transcommand module to increase the pump output and firm up the shifts. The stock configuration shifts softly and creates more wear and temperature increases. Once installed, I'll be equipped with everything Gale Banks offers for my truck. The headers, exhaust and intake really helped the 460 and I'm glad I decided to install them.

I'm looking forward to continuing conversations with you! Merry Christmas!

Hugh

Rax

Lance 650

I think the layout is good for expedition type tc. Why add floor space for fridge and closet?Bathroom is essential for highway travel. I would take this cross NA. Clothes - pack lite and layer. This is not a weekender, but a good expedition answer to some bloated tc's. But not sure using this on a .5 ton. The example f150 is a 2wd. I'm thinking a .75 ton or 1 ton for future capacity without doing suspension mods $$. RAX

dorocks

Lance 650

Just bought a Lance 650.

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/New-camper/i-B9NPV6T/A

Had a Four Wheel Camper previously. Enjoyed the off-road capabilities but most of the time we just look for dispersed camping areas which are bumpy roads but not like where I take the Jeep.
We liked the FWC but the wife wanted a private bathroom versus a undercouch porta potti. I also wanted a place to rinse after several days of dry camping. We like the airy feel of the camper. Lots of windows and not dark like the 865 that weighs around 400 more pounds.

We also like the long dinette. We sometimes take a third person and a 6 foot person can sleep there. Two people can stay out of the way while the wife is cooking and I can walk around her to get up in upper bunk. The double steps to the bunk are easier than the FWC was. We also like the front to back bed layout so one of us can get down without crawling over the other for nature calls.

TV with swivel mount is viewable in upper bunk and from dinette. I like that the 650 stays within the length of the bed including the bumper. I park in normal parking spots and even take the truck with camper to work. I also have nowhere to keep the camper off the truck so like the FWC, it stays on all the time. I pull a Jeep on some trips and I do not have to have an extension to pull it.

We will probably spend a week at Silverton CO camped next to a free camping spot next to a river, using the 650 as basecamp and Jeep the Colorado mountains.
https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/Colorado-Jeeping-San-Juan/i-J3Kk8B2/A

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Keith,
How does the fridge in the sleeping area work out? Have you had this one off-road yet? Three guys from RV.net/truck camper forum did a week long,
San Juan High excursion six years ago in truck campers. We did all the high passes and stayed up near the summits overnight in the TC's because we could! A few surprised faces on jeepers we met on those narrow trails. Here is the trip report on the San Juan High:
regards, jefe

http://www.rv.net/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24528960.cfm
http://www.rv.net/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24529897.cfm
http://www.rv.net/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24566904.cfm

madmax718

Explorer
1842 wet, 200 lbs for food and clothing pots/pans/etc.=2000

2016 super crew 3.5 ecoboost- 4x2 limited 145" wb: max payload 1720.
2016 super crew 3.5 ecoboost- 4x4 limited 145" wb: max payload 1450

2016 super crew 3.5 ecoboost- 4x2 156.8 " wb: payload 2120., HD package 17" 2660 18" 2890
2016 super crew 3.5 ecoboost- 4x4 156.8 " wb: payload 2060. HD package 17" 2420 18" 2650

As of right now, there is no heavy payload package that I could find available for the 5.5 ft bed (145" wb).

While lance makes great campers, like all manufacturers, try to stay right under the max payload. Im not a weight police (rv.net joke) but the GVWR-curb weight=available payload. In that payload calculation is also passengers.

With a seating capacity for 6, at 150lbs avg, you must subtract 900lbs of payload capacity.

in the lowest capacity configuration (empty lance 650, no fluid, no clothing), is around 1650 (cant remember the number exactly). That is already exceeding the 5.5 ft bed 4x4. You can have 1 occupant in the 2wd model.

If you figure how they designed it, they market it as fitting the lowest capacity. They mention fitting in both the 5.5 and 6.5 beds, but really, it is only certain models.

dorocks

Frig in 650

Keith,
How does the fridge in the sleeping area work out? Have you had this one off-road yet? Three guys from RV.net/truck camper forum did a week long,
San Juan High excursion six years ago in truck campers. We did all the high passes and stayed up near the summits overnight in the TC's because we could! A few surprised faces on jeepers we met on those narrow trails. Here is the trip report on the San Juan High:
regards, jefe

http://www.rv.net/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24528960.cfm
http://www.rv.net/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24529897.cfm
http://www.rv.net/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24566904.cfm

Refrigerator worked fine. Keep in mind any thick sleeping bags or mattress pads have to be out of the way to open the door. The little step makes it easy to reach up there to get things. As far as off roading goes the most I do is rough roads on ways to dispersed camping. I use my Jeep for the rough stuff.

On our trip to Colorado around Leadville it was nice to be able to look out the large windows in the forest during a couple rainstorms. Sip coffee and relax. Heater worked good on cool mornings. Even did a shower in the just big enough wetbath using the tankless water heater.

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/Colorado-Vacation-82016/

adam88

Explorer
I never understand why people feel the need for huge closets in TC's. Why not use a suitcase? Store the suitcase on the floor by the rear door. When you get out of your truck, move the suitcase to the front seat (of your vehicle). Takes 7 seconds. You are never inside your camper and your truck at the same time. The suitcase can sit on your drivers seat and you can access it as needed, keeping only a small amount of clothes inside the camper. When you pack up, put the suitcase back in the camper and take off. Why waste space.

I like this design.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Adam,
We thought as you mentioned above before our 32 day round trip to AK from L.A. in 2003. I had bags and plastic boxes behind the seat for all our extra clothes. The trip taught us that we don't need bags or suitcases, except for one overnight bag for the occasional hotel. They were, as they say, "excess baggage". It is amazing how we could leave in May and come back in July and only need 9 or 10 days worth of clothes. We camped in campgrounds, gravel pits, and boonies along the way and had access to laundromats whenever we needed to wash clothes. I asked Jeanie if it was time to get a hotel (in the more populated areas) and she said "no, I'm good." She certainly is. We both agreed that we took too much stuff along on our first long trip in the camper, including the wardrobe.
jefe

matloik

I'm gonna pop in here with some decidedly ambiguous questions, as I'm new to TCs and slide-in camper-capable trucks. We are going to upgrade our minimalist-rv E350 soon. A Sprinter conversion has long been on the list, but a truck + camper has some advantages -- truck I could use for other non-camping duty, and I think it could do better than a Sprinter off road. So the Lance 650 caught my attention, partly because of being 'smaller' and, I guess, better suited off road where twisting could be an issue. I'd be starting from scratch so any truck + camper combo permutation could be considered. I don't want to be maxing out capacities or feeling the truck strain with camper on top and motorcycle trailer behind -- so, yeah, some additional tongue weight would need to be accounted for. I'd be hoping to get a nice setup (truck & camper) for $60K. So ... aside from the 650, what other quality non-popup TCs should I consider. And what (size) truck? (Perhaps this is too general and doesn't belong in this thread ...)

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Mattloik,
This is a common question on here: one that deserves its own thread. The main question is how and under what road (or lack of) conditions are you going to use it? There are myriad aspects to be studied before you can make a decision that's BEST FOR YOU. Start a separate thread on here or on RV.net's camper forum, since this forum is pretty arrid and you will get a world of ideas, preferences, and conjecture. It's your job to sift through the posts to get the most applicable answers. I'm typing this at the moment from a jeep trail near Obsidian Dome near Mammoth, CA.
I turned the hubs on here:

a few hours ago we got along swimmingly:

Last night's camp on a knoll @8800 feet off the Dunderberg Road:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior