Simple kind of van, a 2006 e150 build thread.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Wow, talk about a can of worms! Good thing is despite the fact you hate working on your own stuff you are able to do it and the motor will come back as a longblock (slightly less work) and she will be good as new! Fresh re-build to stock specs im assuming? 4.6 or 5.4?

Wow, talk about a can of worms! Good thing is despite the fact you hate working on your own stuff you are able to do it and the motor will come back as a longblock (slightly less work) and she will be good as new! Fresh re-build to stock specs im assuming? 4.6 or 5.4?

It's a 4.6, yea, stock specs, just keeping it simple.

I am fortunate enough to have the ability, and the facility to do pretty much whatever capacity of automotive repair/fabrication/restoration that I want to (or don't want to) get involved with.

Engine showed up from the machine shop, my boss cut the check while i was away "we'll figure it out later"
---- I work for a small independent shop, father and son operation with 3 employees including myself, I've known the family since 5th grade, so, 22+years, these guys are like family to me, I've been driving one of the boss' cars since this whole episode started, etc etc, I'm well taken care of, more-so than just pay----

got it on the engine stand, installed the valve covers with new gaskets, exhaust manifolds with new copper lock nuts and new gaskets, new engine mounts, new oil sensor, new cylinder head temp sensor, new crank and cam sensors, new idler pulley, new water pump.

the only un nerving part is the front crank pulley bolt. man. all data says "use new bolt" i didnt read that in time to get one, so, meh.

torque to 66 ft/lbs, back off 1 turn, torque to 37 ft/lbs, then torque to "not exceed 148 ft/lbs"

i torqued it to 135 and called it good.

1EBF260A-8502-44DE-A493-5C4F7C0A16C9_zps4ouofqyg.jpg

C87FA8C5-D5E1-44B4-BA83-EF7CCDF4B296_zps9egghzna.jpg

306E7F64-3781-460F-A9BC-8B6AA7D584C5_zpszb1iokg8.jpg

5DA21B7E-4A5D-4298-823D-C49B71F687F9_zpseodmdm4p.jpg

got the engine mated to the trans, dropped it all in.

motor mounts from Rockauto (anchor brand) did not fit to the frame, the bolt distance was off, so, out it came in favor of the factory mounts that I removed, they weren't bad, but "since I'm in there"

got the exhaust hooked up, trans/crossmember all sorted, intake on, harness, accessory drive etc etc. didn't take very many pics, but heres where I ended up today.

FF55FEF0-AF0A-4AD7-9DAE-F803E0540D84_zpswkifjzqm.jpg

09079065-E6DD-4C13-8B3C-8C3C16BBC083_zpsvvt28ojo.jpg

Last edited:
back at it today, got the throttle body, all the PCV system, purge valve, vacuum hoses, heater hoses, belt, fan clutch, oil fill pipe, coolant tank, etc etc etc.

then i started putting the front of the body back on, ps cooler, trans cooler, etc. only worked like 3.5 hrs, and i threw in the towel for the day, I'm tired, need to spend some time with the wife, do some xmas shopping etc etc, and plain kick back a little bit.

heres the pics.

756EEA86-4462-4C25-8AC1-066AEFAB0A3F_zpsiafckaca.jpg

89080411-3B31-4FEB-B932-5110C064B7E1_zpsoasc0lmm.jpg

833F698E-4E16-444F-BBED-881905F5D25B_zpsfvt7amop.jpg

5BF840AC-65BE-46F6-8A11-DF60CE2AC6E5_zps1jvxrrjd.jpg

B769F960-A986-4BD3-BFD9-F971DD789E56_zpsxfqxfmvf.jpg

790E7259-1BB3-4768-9464-BE94F94BEB88_zpsbmilhon5.jpg

dar395

Adventurer
Hope you're ready to enjoy that ride when she's done as much as we do ours. Hope it becomes part of you and a family member then the hours put into her will disappear with memories of the short beach front trips or the wild nights in the woods with the carpet of stars for your celing. Thanks for taking us on your build! Enjoy!

Hope you're ready to enjoy that ride when she's done as much as we do ours. Hope it becomes part of you and a family member then the hours put into her will disappear with memories of the short beach front trips or the wild nights in the woods with the carpet of stars for your celing. Thanks for taking us on your build! Enjoy!

right now, i just keep telling myself "the next guy is gunna love this thing!"

usually, i build up a car/moto/anything, get it about 90% super rad, and get bored and sell it. this was no different, only it didnt sell when i listed it so "lets do some maintenance"........look at me now!.

i figure, after this episode, i gotta keep it for a while, ill do the interior buildout first thing in the new year, and then we have a 15 day trip (only vacation for this year) from so cal, glacier NP, up into canada, across to seattle, then down the coast home.

I love this van. but not sure it loves me back.

driveshaft back from the driveline shop, free pick up and delivery, quick service, VERY reasonable.

shortened it 1/2" which isn't really enough, but will help some, likely going to have to put limit straps to limit the droop travel so it doesnt bottom into the tail shaft of the transmission.

thinking friday is the day, taking the day off work, but still going in to the shop, so i can work on the van all day, so i don't have to work xmas eve.

today is the day.

taking the whole day off (thanks boss!!) to work on the van during business hours, god willing and the creek don't rise, ill be driving this bad mammer jammer home tonight.

It's ALIVE!!!!

Spun it over for 5 seconds to make sure the oil pressure light went out, plugged in the fuel pump relay, kicked it in the guts, lit right off, idled smooth. Topped up the trans fluid (11quarts!!). Charged the AC, wrapped up the bumper and grille, and went for a drive.

Ran it a few blocks, changed the oil filter, drove it home

I forgot how freakin awesome this thing is. So stoked

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
It's ALIVE!!!!

Spun it over for 5 seconds to make sure the oil pressure light went out, plugged in the fuel pump relay, kicked it in the guts, lit right off, idled smooth. Topped up the trans fluid (11quarts!!). Charged the AC, wrapped up the bumper and grille, and went for a drive.

Ran it a few blocks, changed the oil filter, drove it home

I forgot how freakin awesome this thing is. So stoked

Sweet sounds like a awesome Christmas present :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz