Lake Alamo Arizona

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
A dry run to the lake this past summer materialized into a trip with the boat over the weekend. Holidays, extream heat, cold or rain are my favorite days to hit public parks. This past summer all we saw was a ranger, two fisherman and a few of these.

image.jpg

The drive out is great but fill your tank because this truly is the middle of nowhere.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Did I mention it was hot? 20 minute side trips to overlooks and lakeside between jumping back in the van was about all we could do but I knew I'd be back

image.jpg

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
A lot cooler this trip. In the 60's and sunny. I could have taken pictures of birds all day. Ducks, birds, pelicans and eagles are everywhere. We had to zig zag the lake just limit the disruption to the flocks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The lake was just big enough to enjoy boating but the views in the distant are 360 degrees of remote desert mountains.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Eagle

Here is one of the Eagles.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Oh yea...Overlanding. I guess everybody was out shopping for the Black Friday deals. This was the boat launch parking lot.

image.jpg

The van has been just great.

image.jpg

Cool place if you like good fishing, nice views or birds. Hope you get to see it someday. One more of Buddy.
He got beat up by a big dog two weeks ago and is a little mellow while the stitches are still in.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 20

Happykamper

Explorer
Stump , I've been there many times, it is absolutely beautiful especially this time of year. Lots of wildlife.
I always enjoy your photo journeys so thank you. As for buddy I hope he gets well very soon. You are a credit to this site! Wish there were more like you. Including myself.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Thx for sharing, and I don't know the story but I'm glad ur dog is ok!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Dog got bit on this trip.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...a-to-Cleator-Arizona-November-14th-2015/page2

No hard feelings except I'm up to $800 in vet bills. We brought him in yesterday to have stitches removed but there was some dead meat they had to trim out and sew him back up. He got up this morning and made his usuall rounds (despite vets orders) to visit all the neighbors. He came back a little too happy and then I noticed his breath smelled like Thanksgiving Turkey! This is day 16.

image.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Stump , I've been there many times, it is absolutely beautiful especially this time of year. Lots of wildlife.
I always enjoy your photo journeys so thank you. As for buddy I hope he gets well very soon. You are a credit to this site! Wish there were more like you. Including myself.

You made my day! I can't find it but I swear I posted about our summer visit and the dirt roads (Wickensburg Rd or Lake Alamo Rd depending on the map. From the lake you pass a tiny airfield just big enough for planes to land and have a bite too eat. You gotta stop and meet the couple that runs it. The dirt road/trail heads directly towards Congress AZ as you look at the map but it hits 93 first. Its a great drive and you get the lake as a destination. A perfect day or overnight trip in Arizona. At least one person a day uses the road so solo is OK for this type of desert run. I bet you have done it.

Last edited:

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I read it, Stump. I've always wanted to cruise up the river section of Mohave Lake. Unfortunately, my boat is too large for this. I hear there are some pretty cool hot springs below the dam.

Also, at Alamo, if you follow the dirt road north along the lake, it dead ends at the Santa Maria river/Big Sandy confluence, but there are some decent trails around there that can get you around the lake, and on to various other scenic spots on the west side of the lake - one trail goes to Kingman, another to Parker and yet another to Swansea area. Lots of old mining ruins to be seen out there.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I read it, Stump. I've always wanted to cruise up the river section of Mohave Lake. Unfortunately, my boat is too large for this. I hear there are some pretty cool hot springs below the dam.

Also, at Alamo, if you follow the dirt road north along the lake, it dead ends at the Santa Maria river/Big Sandy confluence, but there are some decent trails around there that can get you around the lake, and on to various other scenic spots on the west side of the lake - one trail goes to Kingman, another to Parker and yet another to Swansea area. Lots of old mining ruins to be seen out there.

Two or three hot springs. One is a cool hike with some mild rock climbing. The kayakers use the trail heads as camp spots they told me. We opted out because after my wife saw the Hot springs at Sheeps Head Bridge and the candle wax it creeped her out. My reason was they can shut the Hover off at any time. The do not announce water release or shutdowns. It a secrete for some reason but if they shut it off you can be high and dry for days. That's why I brought the extra provisions. My job just turned iffy but if I buy this jack plate tilt trim combo I'm drooling over you can park at Willow if you have your boat and I'll do it again. http://www.bobsmachine.com/Combo-Tilt-Jack-Clamp-on-or-BIA-50HP-100-106016.htm

I saw the trail/rd on the NW side of Alamo by water. I wondered where it went. Thanks for telling me. It goes to show that the boat is just a sideshow in that cool area and you don't need one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior