Power Wagon is awesome BUT... F350 with locker is probably better

projected

Adventurer
Love my 2016 power wagon! Leveling kit and 37" tires, I'm happy. Don't forget about warranty, once you start cracking open the front diff for your front locker they ford could be a pain. With the PW it's all factory and covered under warranty including the winch. It all depends on what you plan to do with the truck as stated by all the previous folks. For me and mine the power wagon is great.
View attachment 318184

Great looking truck, congrats!

Sounds like you are sold on the ford! Go get it, and wheel the snot out of it. Take some pics for us. The best advice in any of these threads is to get the one YOU like best and like driving the best. Take one of each home for the night and drive the family/significant other around in it.

One more comment just to confuse you............I wouldn't hesitate to drop 2500lbs in the back of a power wagon and run it around on some trails. You won't be able to go fast, but I wouldn't go fast in an f350 with 1.25 tons in the bed either.

I do agree though......an F350xl crew cab short bed with fx4 package makes for a pretty good wheeler......but then so does a Ram 3500 tradesman CCSB. The ram tradesman will be a few thousand cheaper than the ford, and have a WAY better interior than the XL ford.

For the record........the only truck I wouldn't buy is a chevy! YOu need a 6" lift to clear 35's in those square wheel wells

Great advice. I have no doubt that the PW can handle a 1300lbs slide in (with proper suspension mods for the weight) without issues but I'm one of those paranoid people that want to stay within the GVWR listed by the manufacturer. I know the chances of being involved in an accident and getting sued by a crafty attorney, or having an insurance company deny coverage, as a result of being over GVWR is extremely slim it scares me none the less. If I'm starting with a clean slate and buying a truck specifically for a slide in I figure I should at least be legal when I'm done spending all this money. If I already had a PW and decided to get a slide in after the fact, I'm sure I would just risk it.

Mine was about the same. Dennis Dillon Dodge in Cladwell ID seems to always have 2-3 Power Wagons on the lot, and their prices are really good. Maybe give them a look.

Thanks.

Maybe. They also may be slightly more popular than in 2012. Anyway, I bet you can negotiate your way down from sticker by a substantial amount. I had a hard time finding a PW when I was looking. But when I found a couple, every dealer was looking to move them. I don't think they sell all that well. I'm okay with that. Downside I've found is dealer specific service is lacking. They don't know what a PW is and how to maintain them. I had one service manager ask me " you take that offroad" when I needed a skid plate fixed... Lol...

I never get how the sales people and service people consistently know less about their products than I do. Their entire job revolves around a certain product line and they can't even take the time to know it inside and out. 90% of the sales people I've dealt with know absolutely nothing.

I've been following this and a few other threads for ideas, opinions and experience with full size trucks. Made my decision to go with a Ram 2500 after test drives and some research. Really wanted to get a manual transmission and can't complain about having it coupled with the Cummins. The turning circle is pretty good. An Unlimited Rubicon is 41.2', the Ram 2500 Crew Cab, short bed is 43.8'. The F250 Crew Cab, short bed pushes out to 51.8'. I also ended up going with Dennis Dillon Dodge in ID. It's an order truck so I'll have to wait a while to get to play with it. Plan to put a FWC on the back and use it for some more weather proof camping and as a tow rig for the Jeep on longer trips.

Nice choice! Interesting fact about the turning radius. By choosing the Cummins you don't have to worry about the CP4 injector failures that Ford and GM have been experiencing. When one let's go it's a $10-13K repair, some people experience this failure less than 20K miles. It appears GM has been taking care of their customers and fixing them under warranty, Ford on the other had has been blaming it on bad fuel or owner error (DEF fluid in fuel tank). It's appears these failures for the most part are not owner induced, the CP4 is not the right injector for US grade diesel. Ford's handling of these issues are not impressive and one reason I wouldn't mind choosing RAM.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I agree on GM taking care of it no questions asked. My CP4 grenade with 80k on the odometer. Had to replace the cp4,injectors,fuel rails, and fuel lines. They fixed it no questions asked, but I'm quite certain Ford would have fought it based on others experiences.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Ford killed 5.5' in all configurations going with the new suspension. I've driven my BIL's extended cab 8' bed F-250 with leaf springs and that takes some getting used to. Lot's of 3pt turns.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
I cannot say too much about towing but, I LOVE my 2012 Power Wagon. On pricing, I can say this- I got mine new out the door for $9280 less than sticker. Also, they can be had without the gaudy graphics (and not too expensively either) by picking a Tradesman (the current equivalent to my ST) the only POWER WAGON badging is on the tailgate and sticker starts close to $45,000. (but, as I said, you can get one for WAY below sticker, even now) Mine is my DD and wheeling rig so, I have about 50k miles on it now. Carli 2.5 Performance 3" lift (about 1.5" or so lift over stock), Carli mild/MIG arms, Carli fabricated towers, Thuren rear shackles, and 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on stock rims.
Bad pic quality but, here's where it likes to spend a lot of its time, out on the trail! (though, in this case, it wasn't fun, we were cleaning my buddy's burnt to the ground Range Rover off the trail during a rainstorm, lol! I need to take more pics whilst wheelin!):
ram%20cleaning%20up%20rover_zpsw9r9tsjh.jpg

The one time I've ever towed with it:
ram%20towing%20k30_zpsp3facy8c.jpg

This old pic shows that although I'm not one much for mudding, it does well! (my buddy had never gone so, we hit the mud pit, and I let him drive some too!):
muddy_zps58b003fd.jpg

Last edited:

kmcoop7

Observer
I start my negotiating at ram dealerships at $12k under sticker price. Never paid more than $11k under sticker. You can get the same deal on a PW

RoyJ

Adventurer
I'm one of those paranoid people that want to stay within the GVWR listed by the manufacturer. I know the chances of being involved in an accident and getting sued by a crafty attorney, or having an insurance company deny coverage, as a result of being over GVWR is extremely slim it scares me none the less.

It's interesting this gets brought up so much in a community dedicated to MODDING the vehicles. You nailed it on the chance being "extremely slim". In fact, I've asked on many forums, and not a single person could provide an example of insurance denial.

Few people think about this fact - as soon as we start modding major components, almost every GVW and GAWR are instantly voided. If I were the engineer defending an OEM in an accident case, there're so many things I can ding people on with a modded truck, even under GVW:

- bigger tire? GAWR is gone, because braking torque is severely compromised. Without braking, GVW is also gone
- different wheel? GAWR gone, all bearing forces are out of design spec. GVW is gone due to altered steering geometry (scrub radius).
- suspension lift? Just about EVERYTHING is now invalid, including possibly crash test, if the suspension / tire is design to fold a certain way.
- rollover specs are also invalid with any of the above 3.
- off road bumper? all pedestrian crash protection standards invalid

Combine all of the above, and you see why going over GVW is the least of my concerns on a modded vehicle!

This is a great point that almost everyone passes over. Even more so with us American's and the "need" for big tires. A lot can be done with stock right and stock tires with proper driving.

PowerWagner

Explorer
This is a great point that almost everyone passes over. Even more so with us American's and the "need" for big tires. A lot can be done with stock right and stock tires with proper driving.

And even more in a stock power wagon; although I haven't figured out the proper driving just yet :)

Desert Rider

Observer
My 1999 F-250 4X4 diesel works great on hunting trips and moderate wheeling, and pulls my vintage bronco with ease to my favorite destinations. It has taller/1-ton blocks in the rear, leveling kit up front, BFGs 285s tires on stock rims, heavy duty and adjustable rear shocks, front receiver hitch, portable winch, aftermarket exhaust and intake, and a FWC HAWK camper. I do want to install tracloc or similar posi up front. Not sure you really need an F-350. Taking the toys and boys to the Bronco Safari in Moab this spring.

Abiquiu 9-2015g (640x480).jpg

Pic of my homemade trailer on a hunting trip in the Jemez last fall.

IMG_0702.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra