Looking for info on Viewranger GPS for android

lj2005

Hello all. I've searched multiple places and still haven't found what I'm looking for. Has anyone used the Viewranger GPS App? Did it come with preloaded maps at all? Does it do street nav? I'm looking to put it on a nexus 7 and use it for some backcountry-esque navigation. If there's already a thread on this app, can someone direct me to it? Thanks

Raul B

Explorer
I havnt personally used it. I run the backcountry app for off the grid stuff and Co pilot for around town I also use this with a dual GPS receiver on either my phone or tablet.

wobblypete

All UK search and rescue teams use Viewranger for OS mapping, which sums up its reliability and stability.

I have it loaded on to a Samsung Tab 2, with uk mapping.

Easy to use.

The app is free, but then you pay for the maps you download, altho they do offers occasionally.

Pete

lj2005

I went ahead and downloaded Viewranger. So far I really like it. Havne't really had a chance to try it out in the sticks, but the offline functionality of the maps is pretty good. I went ahead and bought the US map set and I've downloaded a few different areas. Gonna try it out this weekend or tonight after work and see how it does tracking me through the boonies and such.

wobblypete

I keep meaning to see if I can download routes from wikiloc onto viewranger, theres a lot in France and some in Portugal I'd like to follow.

lj2005

After playing with both viewranger and BCN, I've deicided I like both programs for different reasons. I'm finding BCN to be much more flexible with importing files, but I like viewranger's interface better. Anyone know how to limit what waypoints/tracks/routes show up in viewranger? The few files I've been able to load on it all show up at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier