Jurgens Xcape

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
I searched and found no references, so apologies in advance if this I'm somehow rehashing the topic!

So I was perusing teardrop-style and similar small "sport" trailers, i.e., Little Guy, T@B, etc., and came across the Jurgens line of trailers from SA. Pure happenstance, but impressive to say the least, especially at the conversion value of roughly $15.5k US which is just around the ballpark value for a nicely equipped T@B, give or take. It's just not fair, I tell 'ya!!

xcape_06.jpg

Do the experts here know if the current import regs and costs are a mitigating factor to obtaining one of these? What would one expect to pay over the top of MSRP to get anything imported from SA these days?

http://www.jurgenssafari.co.za/3.Xcape.html

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
As far as I know Jurgens does not have a registered agent here in the USA, the trailers are not DOT or NHTSA certified etc.

So for all practical purposes this trailer can not be imported legally into the USA. You'd need to import it through a Registered Importer, there are 3 of them who deal with trailers and they are all big rig conversions. If you could find one to do the work you'd be looking at $4000 - $5000

Shipping you'd be looking at least $4000 from SA, import duty 8%, plus bond and inland transportation.

Jurgens is the biggest producer of small trailers in South Africa. The Xcape is a larger trailer weighing in around 3000 lbs (probably more). Tires are 25" diameter, and most significant they are using and independent rubber torsion axle, see http://www.adventuretrailers.com/suspension.html for the negative impact of this style of axle.

The concept is good, the interior looks like a lot of US manufactured trailers with good initial appeal but a poor quality product. Most use of lots of particle board or low grade plywood that is laminated.

Add to that mechanical override brakes and a 50 mm ball hitch and the whole thing is just not that appealing.

Sorry to be so straight forward, but I travel a lot to gain new ideas and see what other people are doing. If you want good product, innovative ideas, and fine craftsmanship you need to look at some of the Australian trailers.

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
Martyn said:
Sorry to be so straight forward...

:bowdown:

You're kidding, right? Actually it's great that you posted Martyn, cause I want to know when a similar concept will be introduced by AT, maybe an Xcape-inspired trailer after a healthy 750-1000# diet!! :)

Or perhaps a teardrop AT similar to the Little Guy Shadow-series with AT's off road suspension and other goodies. Given your experience with the Horizon and Chaser, I'd like to see ATs concept of an off road teardrop clamshell in the 5/6'x10' range with a rear-facing galley.

Something tells me it would sell. Well. :sombrero:

Thanks again for your input!

Martyn

Bad Voodoo said:
:bowdown:

You're kidding, right? Actually it's great that you posted Martyn, cause I want to know when a similar concept will be introduced by AT, maybe an Xcape-inspired trailer after a healthy 750-1000# diet!! :)

Or perhaps a teardrop AT similar to the Little Guy Shadow-series with AT's off road suspension and other goodies. Given your experience with the Horizon and Chaser, I'd like to see ATs concept of an off road teardrop clamshell in the 5/6'x10' range with a rear-facing galley.

Something tells me it would sell. Well. :sombrero:

Thanks again for your input!

No plans for a tear drop right now, but Mario has been a big fan of that style of trailer for years. I wouldn't be surprised if at the least he made an AT version for his personal use.

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
Martyn said:
No plans for a tear drop right now, but Mario has been a big fan of that style of trailer for years. I wouldn't be surprised if at the least he made an AT version for his personal use.

You guys are killin' me. :violent-smiley-031:

Thanks again for the info Martyn. A guy can dream.

p.s. If it helps, I'd consider commissioning a teardrop design. :)

Martyn

Bad Voodoo said:
You guys are killin' me. :violent-smiley-031:

Thanks again for the info Martyn. A guy can dream.

Sorry to disappoint you. We are working on a clamshell for this summer, does that help??

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
Martyn said:
Sorry to disappoint you. We are working on a clamshell for this summer, does that help??

Disappointed? No way. AT is awesome. I'm just somehow enamored by that darned teardrop. Given the right specs and capability, I'd be all over one.

And yes, a clamshell interests me a bit, too.

fisher205

Explorer
Why not build your own with an AT suspension. Check out some of Joanne's posts (sorry not sure how to post the kinks) for self built teardrops. There is also a lot of designs from the fifties floating around. I can see a composite teardrop with an AT suspension... Wait must finish bathroom project first.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Poor Xplorer! That one really did die!
Well, it is pretty evident that this particular camper was built in the infancy of the model. That was a 1999 model, which was the first year of the off-road range. From what i understand, they basically just did what most manufacturers in the US are still doing to this day; beef up the suspension and leave all the rest.
Since that time, I can pretty much guarantee that there is not a single part of the Xplorer that is the same as that 1999 model.

The good news is; as of today, we very much intend to have a 2011 Xplorer at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff. It's on the water as we speak! So you can judge for yourself. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the newest generation of the Xplorer. The great thing about Jurgens, is that they make rapid changes to a design based on real-world feedback. They get feedback from customers, and the very next batch, changes are made. I have personally seen this and have been present at the actual redesigns.
Hope to have all of you walking through the Xplorer in May; all going according to plan.
Rou

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Thanks for the insight, Rou. How many of the different models do you guys plan on showing at the Expo?.. XT-75, XT-140, Xcape, Xplorer?

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Well, all going well, all of the above! We will definitely have XT75, and XT140. We will almost certainly have an Xplorer, and then we hope to have an Oryx and Xcape.
Fingers crossed, after the disappointment this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior