12 Volt DC in my handmade trailer

XJINTX

Explorer
OK, I have what may be a stupid question. I have a MinnKota 220D dual battery charger I'm installing in my trailer. I also have 2 batteries I want hooked in parallel ( I think). Looking at schematics it's Positive to positive and negative to negative. The question is... my charger has two outlet cables for charging two batteries separate. If in parallel do I just use one side? Seems like if I use the two they would sense each others voltage???

I know probably stupid question but MinnKota not open until Monday :(

Does anyone have a schematic? Do I need some sort of separator... they are not charged from Truck and only power trailer. Do I just leave each battery separate and run different items from different batteries? Right now not planning on that way :(

Thanks in Advance!

verdesardog

Explorer
If the batteries are connected in parallel (+to +, -to-) it will be the same as one large battery, just use one output from the charger. If you run two totally separate systems then use both outputs, one on each battery.

sargeek

Adventurer
Depends on the charger. Some charges allow you to combine the outputs, which will increase the amperage going to the batteries, reducing the charge time. The dual bank charger can put 5 amps into battery bank 1, and 5 amps into battery bank 2: or 10 amps into a single bank.

mkitchen

Explorer
Just a quick question

You said that you are not going to charge the trailer battery from the truck. I was wondering why that is? I have a Tacoma and I run two batteries in the truck, in parallel, mostly for peace of mind when using the winch. I also have two batteries in my trailer, an AT Horizon. All the batteries charge off of the vehicle charging system and it has worked fine. How are you going to keep up the trailer battery/batteries without using the vehicle charging system?

I also have a 60 watt solar collector that I plug in for the trailer when I am camped for more than one night, though the batteries will service the trailer for up to three days without additional charge. It just seems like good sense to take advantage of the vehicle charging system as much as possible. Even if it requires putting in a higher output alternator.
Mikey

XJINTX

Explorer
Mkitchen that is a very good point!!! I guess I will look into wiring my Jeep with a 7 pin connector and therefore charge the Trailer. I assume the wire running from the alternator is direct? Sorry but my truck had factory wiring so no real idea how to run the charging wire :(

mkitchen

Explorer
Mkitchen that is a very good point!!! I guess I will look into wiring my Jeep with a 7 pin connector and therefore charge the Trailer. I assume the wire running from the alternator is direct? Sorry but my truck had factory wiring so no real idea how to run the charging wire :(

My Tacoma came with a 7 pin so there was no issue but I am in the process of wiring a power feed for my older Ford truck. That one I am going to run off a marine electrical junction box. For you jeep, it shouldn't be to hard to find a power feed at or near the battery.
Good Luck
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne