Unicat MXT

Metcalf said:
Cool concept.......

Center, front, and rear locking differentials, 20" rim tires, etc. The low overall profile is made possible by using an IFS front suspension correct?
Personally I only need a 2-3 person camper.....

The MXT-MV has a solid front axle, 9000 lb rating. Apparently it has a front locker but no rear locker is yet available for the Dana S110. But I'd guess a Detroit Locker will come soon.

Charlie

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Metcalf said:
Cool concept.......

I would like to see a 2 door version with a low profile pop-up rear camper box to keep the overall height down. //snip// I would like to have a true hard side pop up without the flip up sides under the hard roof.....

I concur. Hard-sided for better protection from the elements and the critters (four-legged or two-legged).

I personally like the hard-side pop-ups that have the upper walls on the outside, so that they cover the windows when in the down position. Here's a pic I borrowed from ActionMobil:

page15-1038-full.jpg

Bigger windows would be nice, though.

I've seen this style of pop-up on smaller trucks, but this is the first one I could find to paste in.

LATER THAT SAME DAY: Here's a Unicat example:

UXL17HD.2-560.jpg

Again, needs bigger windows :)

Last edited:

explore this

Observer
What is the front axle on this? The military version.

Not to crash this thread, but wouldn't it be nice to get a SRW Dana S110 and front axle off this on the Earthroamer...

boblynch

Adventurer
MXT-MV chassis availability

Avi Meyers confirmed that he can order the MXT-MV for Unicat only.

I also contacted the general manager for a large International dealer in North Carolina. At this time he can only get the fully loaded MXT from already built stock. The MXT-MV chassis has not been offered yet and may not be. In fact all MXT production has been moved to Winslow, Canada, and International has currently stopped production on the MXT until further notice. They plan to make a decision by June 15th on whether or not they will discontinue or resume production.

I recall looking up the specification for the MXT at the International web site sometimes last week or the week before.
I just went to check it out again, and do not see the MXT listed. I do see it under the Military Tab for the MXT-MV.

haven

Expedition Leader
Maybe International is switching the MXT assembly line over to build the up-armored MRAP vehicles. The military has ordered 4,400 of International's MAXXPRO armored trucks, at a cost of more than $2 billion. The MAXXPRO is based on the WorkStar 7000 chassis.

MaxxPro_in_Iraq.jpg

In 25 years, these will be available as surplus!

Lynn

Expedition Leader
haven said:
In 25 years, these will be available as surplus!

Probably not.

The last few generations of military vehicles have been deemed 'not roadworthy' by the DoD, and can only be sold as un-restorable scrap. Although there were a few M151s and HMMVs that snuck through, the vast majority get destroyed. Of all the HMMVs that have seen military service, only a very small number have become available as surplus, and all the one's I've seen are 1985 USMC units that somehow sidestepped destruction.

Personally, I think it's a ploy by AM General (manufacturers of the M151 and HMMV), who convinced the DOD to destroy them so as not to hurt sales of their civilian Hummers. But that's just the conspiracy theorist in me talking.

I drove M151A2s while in Korea, often at highway speeds (or above :) ) and would love to have one. I think they were awesome vehicles. Granted, the early M151s reportedly had high-speed stability issues, but that was resolved in the A2s. Yet they still get destroyed. What a waste.

CLynn85

Explorer
DROOL.

We have a couple of mxt-MV's and MVA's at work and ever since I saw the first one I've had visions of an MXT camper. I've even considered talking to our military rep to see if getting a cab/chassis 2dr would ever be possible for a RTW trip.

There's one particular early MXT-MVA out back with a communications shelter mounted to it and I walk by it daily and envision the ************** camper I could build out of it. If only I could take pictures.

As for as the MRAP is concerned, the MaxxPro is definitely one of the best MRAPs to drive, but I hope they never make it out on US streets in civilian hands. At best I hope they become cab/chassis combos that are ready for a camper body....

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
boblynch said:
In fact all MXT production has been moved to Winslow, Canada, and International has currently stopped production on the MXT until further notice.

Where is Winslow?
I know there is a big International plant in Chatham, Ontario.
I've never heard of a place called Winslow...

boblynch

Adventurer
You are correct, there isn't a Winslow Canada and the International plant is in Chatham Ontario. The CXT was originally built in Garland Texas, but they may be moving the XT series to the Chatham plant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles