Unicat MXT

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the first photo of a Unicat built on an International MXT-MV chassis. The photo is courtesy Avi Meyers, president of Unicat Americas. Avi is the person responsible for Unicat's program to build expedition vehicles on truck chassis available in USA.

UnicatMXT.jpg

The chassis is the military version of the MXT, lengthened 23 inches. The tires are Michelin XZL 395/85R20.

No word yet on price, or how long it would take to build a replica of this truck.

Here's what the civilian MXT looks like

mxt-1.jpg

Avi's first vehicle was built on an International 7400 chassis. Here it is undergoing testing in Morocco. (Notice the torque-free mount for the cabin, which allows the truck cab and chassis to twist in opposite directions without twisting the cabin.)

unicat7400.jpg

Moving to the MXT chassis allows Unicat to build a shorter, lighter vehicle with similar space in the living quarters. I don't recall seeing a Unicat with a cab-over sleeping area before.

Now we need to hear how Avi talked International into building him an MXT on the military chassis, which has a higher GVWR than the standard MXT.

Chip Haven

Lynn

Expedition Leader
UnicatMXT.jpg

Now THAT is gorgeous!

If only I had that trunk full of cash... I guess if you are going to dream, dream big!

boblynch

Adventurer
A quick check of the MXT specs turned up the following:
crew cab 164" wheelbase
18500 GVWR
factory SRW
47" tires (rated for 70 mph, 9370#payload/tire)
40 gal fuel tank
12" ground clearance
13-15mpg

The civilian versions are listing for $75-90K and probably selling for 15-20% less. However, they're covered in chrome, leather, DVD, etc. If a stripped down utility model was made available for $50-55K it could be a very interesting alternative.

Bob

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the link to the additional photos Charlie mentioned:
http://www.unicat.net/en/pics/TC54pickupcomfort-2.html

Note the interesting lifting roof for the cab-over
TC54pickuphcomfort-MXT-Doka4900.i12-560.jpg

I think it's unlikely that we'll see a stripped down version of the MXT. The military version is very expensive, and until Avi found a way to acquire one, they were found in DOD motor pools only. The reason to purchase the military version is the greater GVWR. The civilian version has a GVWR of 14,500 lbs., like a Ford F450. The limiting factor is the 20 inch Pro Comp tires fitted, which have a weight rating of about 4000 lbs per tire. The military version, with its monster Michelin tires, has a GVWR up to 18,500 lbs. Charlie tells me the Unicat MXT is uprated further, to a GVWR of 23,500 lbs!

The civilian version of the MXT is marketed as an expensive "personal statement" vehicle for wealthy ranchers, construction company owners and XXXL-size professional athletes. Marketing a stripped down work truck MXT would make the vehicle less attractive to the "ostrich cowboy boots" crowd.

One last note: The Unicat page about the MXT-based camper mentions a price of 237.438 Euro, or (ahem) $374,727 USD!

Chip Haven

Lynn

Expedition Leader
What a setup!

So, would you guys take one of these on an extended trip around the globe? From previous discussions on the Unicat Americas IH, I feel that the consensus is that it's a great NA vehicle...

I think Rob Gray is doing a pop-up very similar to that. Part of the reason he listed was easy access to the roof, but it would be really nice to have bug screen around that pop-up...

BTW, have you guys seen one of those MXT pickups running around? These pix make 'em look much smaller than they really are, and Unicat lists them as a pickup?? This is still going to be a respectably large rig. I'm not trying to say that that's a bad thing. I want one so bad I can taste it, but the pix might lead you to believe that this thing is going to be able to follow a Tacoma through a MX village...

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
A little info copied from Wikipedia (so accuracy questionable):

CXT
The International CXT or Commercial Extreme Truck is a very large pickup truck. Introduced in September of 2004, the CXT is 21 ft (6.4 m) long with a 9 ft (2.7 m) tall cab. It is the largest production pickup truck on the market, its curb weight of 14,500 lbs is around twice the weight of a Hummer H1.[4][3] Its GVWR is 25,999 lbs.[5]

The CXT is equipped with the DT 466 diesel engine and is capable of towing up to 20 tons while its air-ride cab and individual bucket seats offer a smooth ride for the driver and 4 adult passengers. The CXT's interior includes luxury options such as leather, DVD, and satellite radio.[3] Mechanical features include air brakes, an Allison 2500HD automatic transmission, and 4 wheel drive. The CXT gets 8-10 miles per gallon, and has a 70 gallon tank.[3] The CXT is priced from $93,000 to $115,000.[3]

The CXT is built at the company's assembly plant in Garland, TX.[2]

[edit] RXT
The International RXT or Recreational Extreme Truck was the second XT variant introduced. It sits slightly lower than the CXT, and is rear wheel drive through an Allison 2200 Series 5-speed Automatic Transmission.[5][3] Introduced at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show, it is targeted at equestrian and boat owners.[5] It is powered by an International VT 365 engine.[5] Price range varies from $70,000 - $90,000.[5] Its GVWR is 20,500 lbs.[5] Brakes are hydraulic 4-wheel discs.[5]

[edit] MXT
The International MXT or Military Extreme Truck debuted as a concept vehicle at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show alongside the RXT.[5] In 2006, a pre-production prototype was shown, followed in 2007 by the production version, along with a special edition MXT Limited.[6] The cab is lowered and the truck is fitted with International's 300 hp (224 kW) VT 365 Diesel V8 and the Allison 2000 transmission. The MXT's price range varies from $89,500 to $130,000.[7] The GVWR is 14,000lbs.[8] The vehicle has a 40 gallon fuel tank, and gets 13-15 miles per gallon.[9] The MXT-MV is a derivative of the MXT, sold exclusively for military purposes.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
It's great to see Unicat starting to produce some different models for the North American market. At one time they had plans to build a similar camper on an F550 chassis, does anyone know if this is still likely to happen?
Here are some of Unicat sketches of the F550 campers.

Cheers
Mark

I doubt it. There are significant mechanical difficulties in converting a 4X4 to 6X6, and the heavier duty axles of the MXT-MV are much less likely to break with a huge tire like a 395/85R20. In fact the MXT-MV axles, which the Unicat is built on, are designed for this type of tire. See the pictures on the military part of www.internationaldelivers.com . Those of you who read Peterson's 4 Wheel Drive might recall what happened when they put 395/85R20 XMLs on a F350.

Also it would be sort of redundant. If you consider that the camper is >200,000 euro then the difference in cost of the chassis ($55K vs. ~$90-100K) isn't so significant. That's one of the reasons why I put my camper on a new U500 rather than a surplus 5 ton army truck (like a M939).

Avi says if one is interested to contact him directly at ameyers@unicatamericas.com
He reports that the truck has a front locker; it has a Dana S110 rear diff and I think a Detroit Locker may be coming for that soon.
CTIS may also be on the way, since the MXT-MVs can get it.

Charlie

Last edited:

boblynch

Adventurer
haven said:
I think it's unlikely that we'll see a stripped down version of the MXT. The civilian version of the MXT is marketed as an expensive "personal statement" vehicle for wealthy ranchers, construction company owners and XXXL-size professional athletes. Marketing a stripped down work truck MXT would make the vehicle less attractive to the "ostrich cowboy boots" crowd.
Chip you're probably right. However, I just don't get it. Are there really enough of the "ostrich boot" crowd and "urban elite" crowd to justify the marketing approach used by Hummers, Range Rover, and International MXT/RXT/CXT? I drive past a bunch of RR and H2 lots full of tricked out inventory no one is buying.

Would be nice to see someone break ranks and go 180 degrees. Instead of fighting Ford in court, maybe Navistar should offer their own "Super Duty" at a price point targeting contractors and recreational users.

Bob

haven

Expedition Leader
I agree that International should consider building a smaller pickup of its own. Ford has already said it's not interested in International's V6 diesel, and in time Ford will probably stop selling the PowerStoke 6.4L diesel in the F250/350/450/550.

The Powerstroke 6.4L is called the VT365 by International. This engine is used in International's 4000 series (now called Durastar) as well as the MXT, so International will continue making them if Ford says goodbye.

International has a hybrid pickup prototype, developed as a military concept. It uses a 3.0L 4 cylinder diesel from International's Brasilian factory, and a big electric motor. together, the two motors produce more than 500 lb-ft of torque. The truck has a 6,000 lb payload capacity. The prototype has 4 wheel steering, too!

FTTS-2.jpg

A simplified version of this truck would be commercially viable.
Chip Haven

avimeyers

Unicat MXT clarifications

With its off-road capability (extreme terrain and climates), 200 gal of fuel, 100 gal water (+on-board water maker), supplies and equipment carrying capacity, the MXT Unicat makes for an awesome expedition-grade vehicle.

We are also offering this model in an extended or single cab configuration with smaller bodies.

The quoted price of 237K Euro is exclusive of the chassis.

As for the Ford F550, we scrapped that project because the chassis, axles and motor don't meet our standards for reliability and robustness. We are currently evaluating the new Dodge 5500 and its twin Sterling Bullet and if we find them suitable, we'll let you know.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Cool concept.......

I would like to see a 2 door version with a low profile pop-up rear camper box to keep the overall height down. The MXT body really isn't that much larger than a full size truck, but has the guts to back it up. Center, front, and rear locking differentials, 20" rim tires, etc. The low overall profile is made possible by using an IFS front suspension correct? I would also like to see a low profile front winch system similar to the military hummer. The MXT shares a lot of design and functional cues with the hummer in my opinion.

Looking at the Uni-cat site...

Personally I only need a 2-3 person camper.....

The Two door version on the MXT....

TC54pickupallround-MXT-K4300-en-560.jpg

With the camper off the back of this one.....

BS6KD-560.jpg

BS6KD2-560.jpg

BS6KD4-560.jpg

That would be slick....

I would like to have a true hard side pop up without the flip up sides under the hard roof.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles