.gpx Ability with a tablet

brainfood

Hello everyone!

I'm just starting to get into the Overland community, and I've already learned a great deal browsing around EP. I already have some normal wheeling knowledge with my Jeep, but I'm in the process of getting it ready for some longer trips, and that entails some NAV discussion!

More or less, I'm looking into using my iPad as a larger screen for NAV (Simply because I already have it). What seems to be a popular setup for connecting that to GPS, without any form of wifi or cell connection? I see receivers like the Garmin GLO, and that seems very manageable, and I may go with that, but how can I load GPX files onto my devices, and what are the best apps for said maps? Seems like Gaia is popular for iOS devices. I apologize if this gets asked a lot, but I couldn't find 100% what I was looking for.

I do some hiking/biking out of vehicle, so the ability to throw the receiver in my bag and just link a phone would be nice, but if it's not 100% necessary, I would be willing to hardwire into the truck as well.

Thank you for any help/knowledge you have to share!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
#1 is your iPad 3G capable? And I don't mean do you have a data plan subscription, but specifically, is it capable?

If it is, you already have a GPS unit in the device. If not, as you mention you need a bluetooth GPS.

The app you use will dictate how you load GPX files. I use MotionX HD for Topo mapping and track work off pavement. Notice I don't say NAV, I still use a good old Garmin stand alone unit for driving directions. I've yet to find a reliable offline route calculating app.

On MotionX, you can email yourself a GPX and open it from mail into the app. Piece of cake.

I've heard Gaia is good, never tried it myself.

Others will have more to share I'm sure. Welcome to the forum. :wavey:

fike

Adventurer
Bad Elf has some good little GPS units (both wired and bluetooth) that are compatible with IOS and Gaia. I much prefer Gaia to MotionX because of the availability of traditional 7.5 minute topo maps that are infinitely better than those in MotionX. I finally made that decision when I found MotionX maps didn't include an un-fordable river in its maps. More generally, getting gpx files on and off an IOS device is nuisance. This is why I have gone to a Microsoft Surface. With that said, the easiest way with Gaia is to export your tracks which will be put in the app storage space inside a zip files. This can be accessed with either iTunes or with iFunbox which is an open source windows tool for accessing IOS file system. As for getting GPX files onto your IOS device, you will need to either go through dropbox or your gaia online account. The whole mess about handling files on IOS is a real nuisance. As long as you have all your assets (maps and gpx files) downloaded to your ipad before heading out on your adventure, you should be okay.

http://bad-elf.com/pages/products

1Louder

Explorer
Plenty of threads on this so do a search and read, read, read, when you get a chance. Here's one I started a couple of years ago on another site. http://azfj.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7831

For iOS I say GAIA is the best. Motion X is cheaper and ok but I find downloading maps to be a pain. Others love Backcountry Navigator and other apps
I have a Dual GPS Bluetooth device there are other options like the Bad Elf and they are really all fairly similar.

GAIA has a portal to manage files. You can also email them to yourself and then open them in any GPX compatible app on your iPad. Dropbox also works as mentioned above.

Phones have GPS built in so you don't need the BT GPS. If you get a Delorme InReach I believe it can serve as the GPS for your iPad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz