1991 Suburban 2500

Bojak

Adventurer
Great trip jscusmcvet and love the pics. Where about where you riding those trails ? Always looking for SE destinations.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Great trip jscusmcvet and love the pics. Where about where you riding those trails ? Always looking for SE destinations.

Bojak,

These trails were in Pisgah National forest, near Mortimer, NC. Kind of between Lenoir and Blowing rock. Lots of dirt road riding, hiking and camping opportunities. Also Wilson Creek may be the prettiest piece of water to be found... worth the trip. I will be heading back up there in the summer with family in tow for sure.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Looking for ideas on how to protect the wheel wells. I drive on dirt every day. When it is wet the mud, etc... accumulates on the inner lip if the wheel well. Realistically I cannot clean that out every day. Do people ever do a liner, or use bedliner or some other product to protect the metal. This Burb has no rust and I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks

Bojak

Adventurer
Yep they sure do. If you check out icon 4x4 they bedline all there underbody. But they also powder coat instead of paint. It all depends on how far you want to go. They sell bedliner in rattle cans now so a couple of cans should get you protected. Get it spotless clean even in the nooks and then after it dries, coat it. I've always been a fan of undercoat in the wheel wells even on cars. Just cleans up the lines when the wheel well is just uniform black. You got a sweet burb so I would take care of it. But also wheel it and abuse it as musch as possible! If you hurt it its adventure, if rust does it then its just sad.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Yep they sure do. If you check out icon 4x4 they bedline all there underbody. But they also powder coat instead of paint. It all depends on how far you want to go. They sell bedliner in rattle cans now so a couple of cans should get you protected. Get it spotless clean even in the nooks and then after it dries, coat it. I've always been a fan of undercoat in the wheel wells even on cars. Just cleans up the lines when the wheel well is just uniform black. You got a sweet burb so I would take care of it. But also wheel it and abuse it as musch as possible! If you hurt it its adventure, if rust does it then its just sad.

You and I are thinking alike on this, just did not know if bedliner was the way to go. Thanks

justcuz

Explorer
How do you feel about it meeting your needs now?
Compared to the other SUVs on your trip do feel it was able to keep up?
I see you assisted a Land Cruiser which had to be traction challenged compared to the Suburban.
I've seen some nice seat spacers made by different posters, Motodave made some nice spacers for his Scout.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
How do you feel about it meeting your needs now?
Compared to the other SUVs on your trip do feel it was able to keep up?
I see you assisted a Land Cruiser which had to be traction challenged compared to the Suburban.
I've seen some nice seat spacers made by different posters, Motodave made some nice spacers for his Scout.

Thanks for checking in Justcuz. The Burb did great on the trails. I think the rear locker made a great difference. I had no issues... although there were also few issues from other vehicles. I did not do anything that I did not think the jeep would have had any trouble with. The points I drove away with were:
1) The suburban is/will be more than enough in the area of off road capability.
2) The handling on the trail was remarkable to me for such a big rig
3) I carried my friends Matt and Ben and Ben's son Kyle with no worries or PIA climbing in and out...
4) Judging from the exhaust smell the ole girl is running a bit rich
5) Back at camp I chose to pack up early and just sleep in the suburban. When I woke at 0300 or so, I cranked her up and tooled off on my way home.
6) I found the trail ride to be fun, but feel like I have passed that point in my outdoor adventure experience where the tedious, 1.5 mph trail ride is really something I am interested in.

So - I am in the midst of prepping the jeep for sale. Seems no matter what I wind up with something else to do when I have free time... so the going is slow... maybe my own reluctance.

John

justcuz

Explorer
I think you touched on two of the best parts of owning a Suburban. Piling your friends and family in for a ride and being able to sleep in it.
The versatility of it will grow on you. Owners of all the other SUVs will boast about the virtues of their vehicles while you just smile and follow them in a vehicle you paid thousands less for!

How's your oil consumption? Usually a rich smell on a throttle body engine is actually oil from dried out valve stem seals.
If it truly is rich, check the TPS, MAP sensor, engine temperature sensor and injector flow. There are tutorials on YouTube for all these tests and can be done with a cheap digital volt/ohm meter and a timing light.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I think you touched on two of the best parts of owning a Suburban. Piling your friends and family in for a ride and being able to sleep in it.
The versatility of it will grow on you. Owners of all the other SUVs will boast about the virtues of their vehicles while you just smile and follow them in a vehicle you paid thousands less for!

How's your oil consumption? Usually a rich smell on a throttle body engine is actually oil from dried out valve stem seals.
If it truly is rich, check the TPS, MAP sensor, engine temperature sensor and injector flow. There are tutorials on YouTube for all these tests and can be done with a cheap digital volt/ohm meter and a timing light.

Thanks Justcuz. Have to admit I am back on the fence about Jeep vs. Burb. Can't shake it. Need to find a spare pile of cash laying around so I can keep both. When I drive the jeep I am all in. When I drive the Burb, I am all in. MAybe I put them BOTH up for sale and see what sells first... Maybe I talk to a psychiatrist - shut up, you all need to also :squint:

Bojak

Adventurer
Sell the jeep, build the burb. The suburban will be more of what a jeep is than a jeep will ever be what a suburban is. Just an opinion. An admittedly square body biased opinion.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Gotta agree with Bojak, I have a lot of old school friends who live and breathe short wheel base, jeeps mainly, but when they want to do anything besides rock climbing or creek bed ascents they call me or my buddy and say "let's take the burb and go "!!! Usually some where far and down some rough roads that their kidneys won't forgive them for traveling on! Keep the burb and you will thank yourself every time it rains or is too windy or cold!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior