Montana to Panama... and back?

rabudha

Tim (31) Carli (28) Angela (5) and Wendy, a dog,(10) left Bozeman Montana USA on November 6. Over the past month we have traveled down the PCH (101 or 1 for you norcal and Oregon folks) and zigzagged through the San Joaquin valley and the southern California desert. We camped on the lost coast and the dunes up north, and in Yucca Valley and Joshua tree down south. It was a great time catching Carli's cousin's wedding in Portland, visiting her family in Eugene, and seeing my relations in Santa Rosa. We spent thanksgiving with even more family in Desert Hot Springs just SW of Joshua Tree.
Now it's time to start the trip proper. We are leaving the familiar(to us) and often traveled routes, and skipping Baja this time. The loose plan is to keep to the eastern shore of the Sea of Cortez and be in Mazatlan by Christmas. From there to Belize by mid January and kick around the rest of Central America for February and March. I'll update as locations permit.
Our means of travel is a 1983 3/4 ton Suburban with a naturally aspirated 6.2 diesel and a 700R4 (od). She isn't fast, but I keep it to 55 or 60 mph and she really does get about 20 mpg. She has a few upgrades (interior toolbox, con fer ish roof rack, solar) but is mainly stock, with a few electrical gremlins that have haunted me most of the trip. All systems seem to have been rewired at some point either due to an engine swap or a fire. It seems to have been done well enough but there is definitely a short somewhere. As long as I disconnect the batteries every time I stop and bypass the glow plug relay it seems to be okay.
Anyway, here's a few pics of the trip so far and I'll have more stories and details in the next few weeks. Crossing into Mexico tommorrow!

rabudha

Thanks Scurvy, we will all miss ski season a lot this year, but everything has to have a trade off I guess. My connection isn't good enough to upload pics it seems, so I thought I'd go into a little more detail. Carli and I are both against paying to camp. And what's the point of dragging around a transfer case and an extra axle if you don't use them? Therefore, through carefull planning (read luck), we have so far managed to find a free place to stay every night of the trip. Some were incredible, like on California's lost coast. Some, like our current site near the Mexican border, have been slightly nerve-wracking ( the truck got peppered with bird shot from a few duck hunters earlier). We visited off road vehicle areas north of Ukiah CA, and around Borrego Springs Ca that turned out to have some great camping and not much traffic. We had good experiences in the dunes of norcal and along the Oregon coast as well. Some retired rv travelers told us about Slab City, a place just east of the Salton Sea, and we ended up staying there for a week. It's an interesting mixture of retirees, gutter-punks, artists, and everything else in between. It was a little bit rainbow gathering ish but also a neat experience, and the art alone was worth the detour for sure.
As the weather has become more mild, we have slowed down quite a bit, and I hope this trend continues for the rest of the trip!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Hey there from a fellow bozemanite. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. I plan on doing something like this in the next year or two. I explored Southern California last winter and it was amazing!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

NoDinero

Adventurer
If you do plan to drive back, save the colonial middle of Mexico for last. Higher elevation and cooler temperatures. We have been Huatulco to Puerto Escondido the past two weeks at 90 plus every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz