15' Ram 2500 - Carli vs AEV vs Misc

nick325i

Adventurer
I have a 15' Ram 2500 with the 6.4. It's been a great truck but I'm looking to improve on the stock suspension. I do a lot of highway driving for work and a fair amount of towing.

I'm torn between the Carli Commuter, Backcountry, the AEV lift and some misc upgrades. I've heard wonderful things about the Carli systems but they are pricey. The AEV kit looks nice and it looks like it improves geometry and shock tuning. I've also considered some Thuren coils and Bilstein shocks.

I'm running 35's now on AEV Salta wheels with a 1.75" Readylift leveling kit.

Is the Carli worth it? Are their spring rates designed for the diesel and would be stiffer with the gas motor?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We did the first AEV non factory lift on a RAM early this year. The kit is very impressive and performs very well on and off road. We like AEV products as they perform above expectations and they fit right out of the box. The AEV product are well engineered, well made, and achieve the required result without unnecessary complications. So many lift kits we look at need modifications to fit the vehicle they were designed for, and make the ride worse.

nick325i

Adventurer
We did the first AEV non factory lift on a RAM early this year. The kit is very impressive and performs very well on and off road. We like AEV products as they perform above expectations and they fit right out of the box. The AEV product are well engineered, well made, and achieve the required result without unnecessary complications. So many lift kits we look at need modifications to fit the vehicle they were designed for, and make the ride worse.

Sounds great. Part of my apprehension has just been that the AEV system is fairly new and there aren't a lot of reviews. I do like their comments on why they use factory springs though.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I've put off doing a lift on my Power Wagon because of the lack of support for the Ram Gas HD trucks (everything seems to be for diesel springs). If AEV supported the suspension under my 2012 I would have been the first in line to buy one. For now I'll continue to run the factory setup, but if my vote counts, I'm voting AEV.

Manchester

Good looking truck. Have any side photos?

I have a silver CCSB. Would love to see what the saltas look like from the profile.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
carli

carli makes springs for the gas trucks, if you want stock ride stick with stock springs, if you want better than stock the carli stuff flat out works. ive got the starter kit(front springs, rear mini packs, and bili shocks) on my gas ram.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Carli's product is in stock and well engineered. My vote would be for them. Do it right once.
I do like the AEV bumpers and wheels though.

nick325i

Adventurer
carli makes springs for the gas trucks, if you want stock ride stick with stock springs, if you want better than stock the carli stuff flat out works. ive got the starter kit(front springs, rear mini packs, and bili shocks) on my gas ram.

I didn't see a Gas option on their website for the 2014+ but if I end up spending $3k + then I'll definitely give them a call to ask and maybe they'll be out fairly soon.

Texan1983

Adventurer
I vote Carli. Love mine, totally made the truck ride better. Smoother, less jaring, softer but better controlled.

08Silverado

Adventurer
I've had the carli backcountry on my 14 ram 2500 cummins for about 8,000 miles now. I don't have any experience with AEV or Thuren. What I can tell you is you will not be disappointed with Carli. Their backcountry kit made my truck ride and handle so much better on and off road.

MarAgt

Observer
I have a '15 AEV Prospector that has their lift. While I cannot say how the Carli or Thuren kits drive on these trucks, I can say this is the best riding and handling lifted truck I've ever driven. Additionally, they are designed to maintain the stock carrying and towing capacities. All of the published reviews I've seen about the AEV lift are excellent. The few user reviews (actual owners) I've found for this lift have all been positive. The only questionable reviews I've found for the AEV lift kit were from people providing their opinion on how the AEV kit appears to be. There are not a ton of reviews about the AEV lift yet, as they only became available in 2015; it was just an AEV concept in 2014. Everything being said, I don't find poor Carli or Thuren reviews either.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452873100.174171.jpg

Last edited:

darkjedi351

Observer
most lift kits are built for looks rather than performance. I have no experience with AEV but they do look nice. carli builds their kits to perform while going fast, they do this by building custom tuned kits for ea application. nobody else offers what carli does as a completely tuned kit. if you have the money, go with carli

Last edited:

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
Carli and Thuren, hands down. Kind of a joke what AEV sells their sub-par suspension kit for. Ive ridden in an AEVequipped Ram and its laughable comared to the way my truck (Carli 2.65 kit) rides. Ive now owned 3 carli trucks and one thuren truck and can fully say you cant go wrong with either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior