Please convince me I need a Sportsmobile

chop

Adventurer
Hello all.
I just joined the forum after many hours of lurking and living vicariously on trip reports. Great site and inspiration. I believe my post following will reveal my ignorance of this lifestyle, but that's never stopped me before, and I do have a lot to learn. Although I've read every post on this forum I'd like one more take on recent Sportsmobile ownership. I just subscribed to OJ but haven't received the Sportsmobile issue yet.

So on to my questions. I have read and researched as much as I can on self-contained expedition worthy vehicles and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the possibilities. After considering most of my options I've narrowed my search to a 4x4 camper van vehicle. I believe this fits most of our requirements while not "completely" off the price scale. Most of our planned trekking will be non-technical off-road accross the western US, Canada, Alaska an Mexico with as much boondocking as we can muster.

However considering a Sportsmobile's outfitted hefty price tag it seems as though the quality is not quite up to par. I base that observation on the BadgerTrek site (wealth of info, thanks) and their extensive first hand experience. Can I assume the issues they had have been addressed in the newer models? Are the bugs worked out on the 6.0L diesel or is the jury still out on it? What should I look for in a new vehicle?

I know not to expect a perfect vehicle but when the price approaches 100K, I am a little more discerning. Any input is appreciated.

I have considered building a vehicle as well, as I have the mechanical ability to do so. I do tend to take too long to complete projects however and I would like to hit the trail sooner rather than later. Perhaps those of you who have built your own can give a compelling argument to do it myself. Maybe provide a real world estimate on difference in price if I went the DIY route. If you could build it yourself how would you go about it (including outfitting). A virtual build if you will.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Carl

jammyauto

Adventurer
Carl, I would seriously consider a Quigly solid axel conversion on a Chevy diesel van. It may not be quite as heavy duty for the serious rock crawling stuff but should be more that adequate for most stuff. The chevy engine trans combo is much more reliable than the ford and is also much quieter that the ford. My SMB has been to the dealer 3 times for major repair in under 10k miles. YOu could still have Sportsmobile do the conversion or any part of the conversion that you like. In that reagard Sportsmobile is great. They will really do as little or as much as you like.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
All I can say is that even with the issues the Badgers have had, they still have the Sportsmobile. Of course that's entirely different than being at the beginning looking at what you want.

If money were no object I'd probably have one out back right now along with an Earthroamer etc., etc., etc. Then I could just go out and say hmmm, do I feel like sleeping outside or inside today? What are we having for dinner, do I need the broiler?

chop

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I did spend some time at the Quigly site yesterday. Their price to do the 4x4 conversion looks reasonable. I think I'll do some more research on the Chevy vans. Since I'm not looking at serious off-roading this might be a good option. I do like the idea of maybe doing this in stages so the shock is not quite so great.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Have you thought about a used diesel Sportsmobile?

Right now there is a 2005 for sale in our local paper for $45,000

A lot of local contractors bought them during the building boom and wrote them off as a business expense. Now things have slowed down it looks like they are thinning the amount of vehicles and toys they own.

chop

Adventurer
Martyn,
I have looked briefly at used Sportsmobiles on the Sportsmobile website. Since any purchase I make will not happen until early fall this year I do have some time to review used vans. My biggest concern is the seemingly sloppy work done and in some cases questionable engineering on critical brackets and parts in previous years that I would have to fix at additional cost to the original price. However at 45K the trade off starts to look better. Perhaps I'm being too critical of the Sportsmobile based on a few experiences. Thanks.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
chop said:
Martyn,
I have looked briefly at used Sportsmobiles on the Sportsmobile website. Since any purchase I make will not happen until early fall this year I do have some time to review used vans. My biggest concern is the seemingly sloppy work done and in some cases questionable engineering on critical brackets and parts in previous years that I would have to fix at additional cost to the original price. However at 45K the trade off starts to look better. Perhaps I'm being too critical of the Sportsmobile based on a few experiences. Thanks.

I don't know about the issues you are referring to, but a call direct to Sportsmobile might clear things up. I think they would be valuable questions if you were considering used models. The answers would also be valuable seeing as they would be from a reliable source.

Railvan

Adventurer
chop said:
However considering a Sportsmobile's outfitted hefty price tag it seems as though the quality is not quite up to par. I base that observation on the BadgerTrek site (wealth of info, thanks) and their extensive first hand experience. Can I assume the issues they had have been addressed in the newer models? Are the bugs worked out on the 6.0L diesel or is the jury still out on it? What should I look for in a new vehicle?

I have had a Sportsmobile for about 2.5 years and I have 26,000 miles on it. I have a 2006 Ford with the 6.0 diesel and the SMB 4x4 conversion. For me it boils down to this: The vehicle is not perfect, but it very well suited to what I do, and for what it sounds like you intend to do as well.

The biggest drawback to the van I bought is the turbo on the engine. It has been replaced by Ford twice already. The first time at 6,000 miles, and the second time was around 22,000, IIRC. The engine itself is fine, but the turbo has been a long time problem for Ford and Navistar, who built it for Ford.

I would seriously consider a Quigley or Salem Kroger straight axle conversion under a GM 3500 Duramax diesel van if I had to do it again. But, I do much prefer the components that SMB used for the 4x4 conversion over what Quigley or Salem Kroger offer. The Dynatrac axles and Atlas transfer case used by SMB might be seen as overkill, but I really don't think there is such a thing as overkill when I consider taking the van on rough roads miles from the nearest town. I upgraded to the full-floater Dynatrac rear axle as well.

Why didn't I buy the GM van in the first place? I considered that SMB had better running gear, and that I could get the 4x4 conversion and the camper conversion all done at once. I live 1,500 miles from Sportsmobile West. Getting the 4x4 conversion done one place, then having the van shipped or driven to SMB was quite a bit more trouble.

I had read that the 2006 Ford diesel had the bugs worked out and it was much better than the 2004 and 2005. Well, as I mentioned, I am on my second turbo already. I have no other problems with the Ford van, but the turbo problems make me feel VERY reluctant to go to the distant boonies alone, which is exactly what I bought the van for.

Many of the problems the Badgers have reported I have not had. I consider this to be related to a couple of things, but mainly that the Badgers lived in their van full time for about two years, and likely put as much wear and tear on the van as I will in 10 years. Living in it full time through winters in the west is a real test of any RV. It's great that they did this and reported all of it to us via the web.

I found the folks at SMB West to be great to deal with. They have been honest with me and treated me well when we stopped by to have any work done. When I was considering options for the van, Alan made suggestions that I have found to have been very good advice.

Is the van perfect? No. I think if I spent the time to build a camper conversion myself, I would pay attention to some little details better. But, it would take me years to finish the project, verses spending that time enjoying the vehicle.

Not sure if this rambling has helped you or not, but that's my (long) 2 cents worth!

Brian

chop

Adventurer
Brian,
That's exactly the kind of feedback I'd like, namely first hand. My original idea was to do what you did and for the same reasons, doing it all in one place in a timely fashion and the robustness of the 4x4 components.

I also agree the Quigly GM conversion may be a better solution for me since the 4x4 capability is less of an issue than the diesel reliability. I don't plan on serious rock crawling but I do plan on long trips to remote locations on 4x4 passable roads. i may be thinking about this backwards but that's why I'm here; to learn from those that have done this.

Lastly I also would consider building most of the interior myself with the intent that no serious boondocking can be done until complete. I can always camp with less amenities until then. I have some land in northern AZ that I can park on and camp more comfortably than in a tent. I'm gettin' too old to sleep on the ground but still young enough to explore.

I don't mean to emphasize the vehicle as my primary concern as others have mentioned it's the getting out there that is most important. My getting out there means I'll be leaving the Phoenix area in the next few years, relocating on my property, and hopefully traveling in some comfort in a reliable, sturdy van. Once there I do plan on living in the vehicle for weeks at a time. At least that's the dream.
Thanks Brian and everyone else.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I did my own 4x4 conversion, and my 06 6.0 hasn't had any issues. I just turned over 30K, so far so good. There will be guys that have nothing bad to say about SMB, and then you'll find guys that will. It's like that with e-thing.... If you're looking at a new van, I think the Ford will be fine as far as reliability is concerned.

chop

Adventurer
Yea I think maybe I'm thinking too much. I know I've probably presented a moving target with the differing thoughts I have and weighing the different opinions. At least I've narrowed my choice down to a 4x4 van after running the gamut from the traditional RV to the Unimogs.

But after looking over the BadgerTrek site and viewing the stunning pics they have up I think my efforts are better served in learning about where to go, living simply, and staying connected, instead of getting wrapped around the axle on vehicle choices and their inevitable pros and cons. They all will have some amount of wanting even if I build it myself. I think I'm going to go with the Sportsmobile and enjoy the ride. I'll have to fix something regardless of make and options. Just hope it's not in the boonies.

I don't want to rehash old arguments and most helpful views are already established in other posts.

So... what color should I get?:coffeedrink:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hmmmm. I really like the tan color like the rig Scott had in the latest issue of OJ.... But white is cool too ( with some black wheels), an I also like green.....But dark shadow gray is the absolute coolest.... ;)

Gravity

Observer
We picked up a used SMB last summer and have been really pleased w/ our choice. We got a V10 equipped Quigley and for us we have had zero issues w/ it. For us the 4wd is for a bit of winter driving in snow and getting out away from the other campers etc... no interest in rock crawling type stuff. A bonus for the Quigley set-up is that my local Ford dealer is a Quigley dealer and has had a ton of experience w/ them, and keeps some of the common wear/tear parts on hand.

Initially I really wanted the diesel but now w/ the current fuel prices I am real happy w/ my V10, it's quieter, has more than enough power/torque and w/ the current prices it's cheaper for me to run.

As far as the SMB conversion I am pretty pleased - couple things I would do differently if I had the choice but all in all, no real complaints and everything has held up great after 6+ yrs (it's a late '01 build w/ only 45k on it).

Right now w/ a lot of people getting into trouble financially etc... the deals and selections of used SMB's are terrific. FYI just 1 yr when I was shopping, if a 4x4 SMB showed up used it was snatched up immediately, now there are a ton of good looking rigs on the used SMB site

good luck w/ your search

-d

MB309basket

Adventurer
Touché

chop said:
But after looking over the BadgerTrek site and viewing the stunning pics they have up I think my efforts are better served in learning about where to go, living simply, and staying connected, instead of getting wrapped around the axle on vehicle choices and their inevitable pros and cons. :coffeedrink:

Yes. I could learn a lot from that paragraph. Or actually, I already know it, but I could implement a lot from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94