the new Cannondale Fat CAAD

jayspies

Adventurer
Having ridden both a Bluto and Lefty extensively before making my choice (Lefty), I can say without hesitation that the Lefty is stiffer, and very much better on small bump compliance (i.e: the low amplitude/high frequency "trail chatter" that turns your arms and hands numb after a few hours). I attribute this, as Christophe said, to the needle bearings in the fork body (88, correct - 4 sets of 22). Since they roll instead of slide, they are virtually immune to stiction, and since the fork only has one leg, an off-camber bump that would compress one side of a Bluto more than the other and exacerbate the stiction problem is a non-issue with the lefty, as there is only one side to compress. Downsides are few, but there. You need to do a bearing reset every couple of hundred miles to reset the fork, but this can be done in about 5 minutes with very common tools. Very easy. Also, for fatbikes, you need to get a certain kind of Lefty; not any one will do. You need to find one with removable crowns (2005-2008); a Lefty Max 140 is ideal. Later models have bonded crowns, and they can't really be removed without compromsing the integrity of the fork. If you plan to run "normal" size wheels, any Lefty will do. Craig Smith at Mendon Cyclesmith in Rochester NY can supply you with custom clamps to offset the fork a little more to provide clearance for 4" or 5" tires. Not a buy-it-and-slap-it-on arranement, by any means. Then, you have to source a lefty front hub and have it built up. If you have a fatbike like I do, that means lacing it offset to the non-drive side to set the wheel over a little bit more to the right and center the tire under the top tube.

If what you want is a plug-and-play solution, by all means, buy a Bluto, it's much easier. However, if you're up for a little DIY challenge, then the Lefty is a much better final product, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier