BJ74 TD Build Thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

Wow looks good!
I thought it would "look" taller even with your efforts to keep it low

That's a compliment to the original designers of the body style. It's design is very pliable.

But to your point, it sits a mere 5 inches taller than stock, even with the tires. I raised it an inch after we added the bumpers just to be on the safe side.

screwball48

Explorer
For a daily driver mild exploration rig a 2.7 out of a Tacoma with an older w56 trans and dual t-case set up with leaf springs and a rear ARB locker would be a nice set up I believe. Kinda simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca18_sean

Adventurer
He has a 500+ cubic inch Mopar in it. Thing sounds totally wicked. He admitted it had a bit too much cam though...

Which Toyota drivetrain would you put in a Willys p/u?

I've got a Willys CJ2A sitting behind my house that's going to get a 22re swap one of these days... After I finish my troopy!

screwball48

Explorer
That F100 is cool! But back to the cruiser. How is the ride on pavement? Any handling quirks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ride is nice with no quirks. As with any off-road capable street rig, it is a tad on the soft side, but that just makes it comfortable. The sway bars and shocks take care of any body roll or suspension dive.

The only thing I have to complain about is the ackerman. If you guys recall, we had to run the tie rod on the far hole of the steering arms, to clear the diff. Well, the Hellfire arms are designed for wheel clearance, not proper ackerman, and putting the tie rod further out makes it worse. Doing a sharp u-turn on the street makes the front end chirp a bit. If we had some custom arms made with good, or at least better ackerman, that problem would go away.

The funny thing is, we're running a wide, positive offset wheel and there's still about 1.5" from the rim to the tie rod end. Why did Billy think they needed that much clearance at the steering arm?

thethePete

Explorer
That said, and with your penchant for perfection, will you be looking at making up some custom steering arms at this point or in the future? Now that the whole rig is completed, that seems like a relatively minor thing to do, and it could be modeled up almost entirely on the computer or paper before doing anything on the actual truck.

Love the work, and happy to see more projects of yours cropping up on here. Very inspirational.

Clintnz

Observer
Looking good! I like the tray on the spare wheel carrier, I've been thinking about adding something similar to mine, but have it fold & pivot out so it can sit out off the end of the right back door when that's open.

Love the F100! With all the JDM used cars & parts we get here in NZ 1UZ swaps are common in all sorts of vehicles. My good friend Mike who did the 1UZ swap into my 'Cruiser has an AC Cobra replica with a twin turbo 1UZ & Nissan Skyline GTS 4wd running gear.

Cheers
Clint

That said, and with your penchant for perfection, will you be looking at making up some custom steering arms at this point or in the future? Now that the whole rig is completed, that seems like a relatively minor thing to do, and it could be modeled up almost entirely on the computer or paper before doing anything on the actual truck.

Love the work, and happy to see more projects of yours cropping up on here. Very inspirational.

Thank you.

I would love to make a whole new set of arms. I spoke with Ruffstuff a couple weeks ago about making some blanks, but they aren't interested in doing one-offs. They bought Hellfire.

Making a pair from scratch would be a lot easier with a good machinist in my area. For years I have been using my friend Jim of Inchworm Gear to do custom machining projects, but he's in AZ now and doing the legwork over email or phone is difficult.

Looking good! I like the tray on the spare wheel carrier, I've been thinking about adding something similar to mine, but have it fold & pivot out so it can sit out off the end of the right back door when that's open.

Love the F100! With all the JDM used cars & parts we get here in NZ 1UZ swaps are common in all sorts of vehicles. My good friend Mike who did the 1UZ swap into my 'Cruiser has an AC Cobra replica with a twin turbo 1UZ & Nissan Skyline GTS 4wd running gear.

Cheers
Clint

I've got some more detailed pics of the tray mechanism. I'll post them up later.

Per the 1UZ, I thought it was just that you Aussies are a little bit whacked, but your explanation makes more sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier