starter motor for a Land Rover Lightweight?

telwyn

Adventurer
I think my start motor has finally died on my 1982 Land Rover Lightweight Series III. Looks like I can get new or rebuilt one from British Pacific or Rovers North, but in my quest to gradually (hopefully very gradually) upgrade every component over time, I thought I'd see if anyone has a recommendation.

Do I simply go with one of those or is there a better aftermarket starter motor I should buy?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
A company called Mean Green sells a gear reduction starter. I've heard their customer service is terrible though, but if you buy it from someone else you won't have to deal with them directly. I don't think the starter is anything special, nor do I really see a need for a gear reduction starter on a 7-1 engine.

Get a hand crank! You'll get all kinds of crazy looks in the parking lot starting up. :D

telwyn

Adventurer
Thanks, folks. Appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to look into Mean Green (via distributors) and will report back. This isn't my daily driver and I move a little slow on the Rover while trying to maintain my family relations, but I'll report back soon.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I switched to a gear reduction unit a few years ago....what a difference! Cranks faster, starts faster, supposedly uses less battery amps, and starts much easier when it's cold out. My old original unit wouldn't budge the engine a few years ago when I had it out in -25F weather, this last year it was only -10F but the starter made it seem like it wasn't even breaking a sweat. Plus they are ligher and...here's the best part...smaller so you can change it without having to loosen the exhaust down pipe! Ditch the Lucas..
Jason T.

telwyn

Adventurer
As would I... Look forward to hearing a report from you.

Before seeing your post about the Ebay starter I did try to buy a Mean Green starter, but after being unable to find a distributor for the Land Rover model I tempted fate to buy it directly from their website despite caution above about his customer service. When I got halfway through the ordering process and got an invalid security certificate as I was about to enter my credit card, I decided to bail.

I then called British Pacific as also recommended above and the gentleman I spoke with kindly advised AGAINST a high torque starter including the one they sell. He said they perform very poorly if they get wet in water crossings, etc and recommended that I simply get mine rebuilt locally. He suggested you only use high torque if you won't do water crossings. While I'm impressed by his opinion given he talked me out of a purchase, I wonder if anyone agrees/disagrees with his advice regarding high torgue and water issues?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Not sure about the BP starter but in general I wouldn't think it's any more sensitive to being submerged than any other electric starter. Mine's been under water without issue to date.
Jason T.

seriessearcher

Adventurer
1/2 way there

So I go to install the starter today and I needed to grind off a heater plug in for one of the freeze plugs. It was an older type way back on the engine which was not used. I could not remove it as it was frozen in place. I only ground down the plug. The starter motor is a little different from the stock starter. I also need to put together a solenoid bypass wire. This is due to the starter having one attached.

Once I get that done I should be all set. This took longer than expected. I should be able to post tomorrow how it starts. It got too late tonight.

If you asked me today I would say go with stock, but we will see once it starts up.

telwyn

Adventurer
Thanks for the update! Can't wait to hear more... I removed my stock starter this weekend and am waiting to decide what to buy or whether to rebuild. Removing it was more challenging than I thought it would be - nothing overly difficult, just very tight quarters getting to the starter despite all the space in the engine compartment.

seriessearcher

Adventurer
She's alive!!

Ok,

So I am impressed with the starter motor as far as it turns that 2.25 over like a 350 big block. There is no denying that it turns it a lot faster.

It is smaller so easier to get in as long as you do not have the block heater plug in the block under the manifold. I could use a racket to tighten up instead of the box wrench due to the cramped space, having large hands this was a BONUS.

I am not thrilled about the starter solenoid bypass wire you need to run as this is a 4x4 but it would be an easy fix if this were to fail or come off of the clipped end. There is one end that screws on.

So I can not give durability claims, but it does live up to the fact it will turn it over a lot faster which in the winter may be a good thing.

If in the future I run into any issues I will post up. I see the website for them is offering free shipping on some models so worth a second look.

britishstarters.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne