Snow boots, what should I look at.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
_DSC7936.jpg

I need a good pair of snow boots. I can't take another season of snow wheeling without good snow gear. Our last trip I was wearing some cheap work boots and my feet were so cold and wet and numb, one of them came off in knee deep snow and I didn't realize it until I looked down and saw my sock in the snow. :( Not fun. It's really the only thing that makes me not love snow wheeling even more, is that I just am always cold and wet by the end of it.

I am looking for a pair of boots that are warm, waterproof, but not insanely bulky. The pedals of my FJ40 are really tight together compared to modern cars. They also need to be comfortable, I had a cheap pair of snow boots a few years ago but they were so awful I would get home and feel like my feet were bruised they were so sore.

stingray1300

Explorer
Get the best, the original: Sorel Caribou boots. Mine are kind of new, only about 25 years old now and still going strong.
Cold feet are a drag. Don't cheap out :elkgrin:

ddog45

Adventurer
I love my bogs boots they are almost to warm and when I just need them on for a little while they are comfortable with no socks.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Get the best, the original: Sorel Caribou boots. Mine are kind of new, only about 25 years old now and still going strong.
Cold feet are a drag. Don't cheap out :elkgrin:

I'll second the Sorels. Mine are only 10 years old, and I use them 6 months/year. They kind of suck to drive in, but you can always change into them pretty quick.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I typically wear a traditional mukluk made from moosehide and cotton canvas. The outer shell is lined with a felted wool bootie and has 2 wool insoles. This set-up combined with a decent merino wool sock has kept my toes toasty down to -20F with mild to moderate activity like ice fishing, calling predators, checking traps, snowshoeing, etc. Mukluks will only work in dry cold conditions, meaning temps cold enough to prevent any melting of the snow or ice due to sunlight or contact with your body; roughly 20F or colder. Natural fibers are not waterproof, so any melting conditions will soak the mukluk in short order. This characteristic is advantageous as well, because as the foot sweats the wool/cotton canvas/leather fibers wick the moisture away from the skin and transfer it to the outer layers to freeze dry/evaporate. It's a very effective and time-tested design.
In temps warmer than 20F, I wear a waterproof insulated rubber or "pack" boot. I've owned Schnee's, Xtratuff, USGI Bunny Boots, and Muck; with my favorite so far being Muck. They're warm, lightweight, easy to get off/on, and not as bulky as the others.
The key to happy and healthy feet in cold conditions is keeping them and your footwear dry. Change socks frequently and thoroughly dry your footwear as often as possible. Hope this helps a bit. Take care and be sure to let us know what you end up choosing.

Last edited:

kambaku

Look at Schnees or Kenetrek boots. I think both these companies make great boots similar in design to the Sorels, but more options. The problem you will have with most if not all pac boots is bulk. They will keep you warm and dry because all have felt liners. However that comes with some bulk in the pedal compartment.

Lucky j

Explorer
Sorel is pretty much top of line for quality and choice
http://www.sorel.com/winter-snow-boots/?prefn1=genderGroup&prefv1=Men

They also have the safety work boot with steel tops and sole, but not warmer.

Baffin is an other big company that make great product. If you are in a wet envirronment, some will go with that huntsman type witch is a hight rubber boots with a thick felt liner. Not my favorite, my calf just do not fir in those type of boots, buts some of my friends only use those for winter activities.
http://www.baffin.com/v/vspfiles/catalogue/Baffin_2015_Outdoor_EN_WebsiteVersion.pdf
But they have many more option.

I also use a insulated hunting boot from time to time. When new, I could stand up in snow for hours in 0degree w/o feeling any sort of colf in my feet, and they were good in wet snow and mud as well and were not clumsee at all. Leather and gore tex. Irish setter was the brand I think.
Some thing similar to this, my model is not there anymore. But nice all around, and not bad for driving. Could spend a full day winter driving in the woods or just work around the cabin in a very cold winter day, like 0 or less.
http://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/product/hunting-boots/00840-havoc-10-800g-gtx-infty

You could also find a miliraty surplus for the mukluks (the military type)
http://www.armynavydeals.ca/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=Can MukWt

One thing to check out, some boots now have a low temperature rating, but many of them are for active use, like snow shoes and trail hikking. Problem, the rating they give is for active bodies. If you try to go ice fishing of whatch a parade, your feet will get cold. Thay are great for day to day use, but not for long time exposure. You can see them with the sorel line up. Some are smaller, but the bigger ones are for the real use in cold weather.

And other option, are the neos overboots. You can get an insulated type, with intergated snow geathers and simply where shoes or works boots inside.

https://www.overshoe.com/Pages/default.aspx

I carry a set in my car all the time in case I get in snow storm or get to a place where the snow was not removed. I also have a pair that fits my paramedic work book for snow storm around here, but they are not completely as efficient as a cold weather sorel or my military / royal mounted police mukluk, but they are a very nice day to day alternative.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm a huge fan of Salomon's boots. I know Scott Brady also has a high regard for them and used a pair at the South Pole. They're crazy light, super warm, and very comfortable. They also don't have a ton of bulk.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
I have a pair of Sorels also, but after my first winter trip to Alaska, I bought a pair of Danner Canadians. For me, there's no comparison; the Danners are superior in every way except two, ease of putting them on and price. I think they've about doubled since I bought mine:Wow1:

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Awesome. Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to hopefully go check some of the out here this weekend and see what I like.

warejn

Observer
I think a bit of it depends on how much hiking you are doing.

I use Hoffman pac boots for project work and play in the winter as long as I don't have lots of miles of technical hiking. They have been great for the last two seasons. Time will tell about the durability but they seem great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a pair of columiba xtr. They are crazy warm, light, comfortable and durable. They are the best pair of boots I have owned. I have had the caribous, glacier etc and the xtrs are better than all of them.

BEG

Adventurer
I use Hoffman pac boots for project work and play in the winter as long as I don't have lots of miles of technical hiking. They have been great for the last two seasons....

This. For serious snow and cold I wear Hoffman pac boots. I've had a pair for about five years and they show no signs of wear. They're made in Kellogg Idaho and are fully rebuildable. However, they are very bulky. Too bulky to drive.

Honestly, if I were doing long hours behind the wheel, I'd opt for a pair of fleece lined leather moccasins while in the car and throw on some dedicated footwear when I got out, depending on my activity. For quick on and off type stuff, I'd opt for some neoprene lined rubber boots. No sense in being uncomfortable while in the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz