Cheap Craigslist GPS for Dash - Streets & Topos & Tracks?

FinSport

I wandered into a pawn shop while killing some time and saw that they were selling Garmin Nuvi's cheap. I checked Craigslist later and they are also cheap, so...I was curious if there is a cheap used Garmin unit that can do regular Tom-Tom type road navigation plus topos and tracks/routes?

I have a Garmin 76 that I use on my KTM for long trips, but in my car/truck/van I just use Google maps (on my iPhone for everyday use) or paper maps for offroad use (yes, I'm old-school).

I was thinking it would be nice to have a dedicated unit I could hardwire to my dash on the cheap. Are there any options for this? I know many of you recommend a phone or a tablet, but I'd like to have a cheap dedicated unit that could do road and off-road (and also Canada without paying for cell service).

F

tarditi

Explorer
Road nav is pretty easy unless you're looking at really old units that didn't do "turn by turn" nav. Most NUvis will be OK, but some cannot load additional maps readily, unless you buy the maps from Garmin on SD card (an expensive option). If you can find a unit that has "lifetime maps" it's much easier to upload up-to-date maps.

The maps are only restricted by the unit's ability to load in alternate maps - maps are plentiful, and many free ones are good.

Routes are a matter of using software to build a route and navigate to waypoints or POIs in sequence... the complexity to do so depends on the age of the unit or what additional software you are using.

The quality of a new (or even refurbished) unit that is relatively current versus what you can get on ebay/CL may be a nominal savings for significant difference in frustration getting what you ultimately want.

1Louder

Explorer
Cheap tablet and the software of your choice seems like a much better route to go. There are plenty of free or very cheap road navigation apps where you can download maps for the entire country for offline use. Also seems like a lot of work to figure out ways to import tracks (if even possible) and or download topo maps. I'm an Apple guy and have found quite a few apps to help with offline navigation down in Mexico. Some are on Android as well. Heck Amazon has those new $50 tablets which may suffice. They do not have built in GPS though. Most of the $150 Android tablets do. Get a RAM mount and you can pretty much "hard wire" the device. Even a slightly used Android phone with a 5" screen could be a good route.

Cheap 7" tablet with GPS at Best Buy $49.99: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland-7-tablet-8gb-black/4306900.p?id=1219730560876&skuId=4306900

Last edited:

KMET

Adventurer
If you can find one, Garmin Nüvifone. Also works outside US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WSS

Rock Stacker
I just bought a 7" Garmin nuvi 2757LM (lifetime maps) for $140 off CL last week, was so impressed with its performance over my 10yo Nuvi 680 that I bout a Nuvi 67LM off CL for $60.

IMG_3715_zpskb6vrm29.jpg

IMG_3714_zpstf7ddze9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94