Jeep Grand Cherokee: Overland

Jeepnout

So I see that Jeep has Grand Cherokee Overland model and I was wondering how overland ready it was off the lot to be labeled Overland?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The system they label Quadra-Drive II is, and has historically been, one of the most capable of the computer-aided traction control systems, and it earned a nice writeup in the VDEG. You have no good idea what combination of things the truck is doing to get you traction and keep you safe, but it seems to work well. Along with Hill Ascent and Decent, the addition of a lot of ground clearance from the air suspension and the option of comprehensive skid plates from the Off-Road Adventure Group II puts recent Grand Cherokees real close to the top of the factory-ready off-roading SUVs/

The biggest strikes against them is rather poor reliability and there's not room for big tires without a lift. No truck is perfect, however, and they are a relative bargain when compared to a Range Rover or Range Rover Sport, two other off-the-shelf capable SUVs.

That said, the "OVERLAND" badging is mostly marketing. You can just as easily buy the one-step-down Limited and option it to end up with the same things that come on an Overland, or you can buy the higher-level Summit to get a few more standard goodies but still have the important stuff..

Jason911

Adventurer
The biggest strikes against them is rather poor reliability and there's not room for big tires without a lift. No truck is perfect, however, and they are a relative bargain when compared to a Range Rover or Range Rover Sport, two other off-the-shelf capable SUVs.

That said, the "OVERLAND" badging is mostly marketing. You can just as easily buy the one-step-down Limited and option it to end up with the same things that come on an Overland, or you can buy the higher-level Summit to get a few more standard goodies but still have the important stuff..

Opinions vary on the poor reliability statement - and I'm not defending just because I own one. Consumer Reports and JD Power are not the end all/be all that is so most commonly quoted in regards to reliability.

Echoing your statement about acquiring a one-step-down limited does save some coin as opposed to the overland or summit models, both of which up the opulence factor of the interior. Above the Summit model is the Summit California edition - which is even higher on the bling factor.

Personally I don't have the quadra-lift suspension so I can't comment on the functionality/versatility of it(mine is a coil spring), but the electro-aided traction control is just so good! Point the tires where you want to go, set the ascent/decent control speed and just enjoy the view. Truly remarkable indeed.

paroxysym

Adventurer
The system they label Quadra-Drive II is, and has historically been, one of the most capable of the computer-aided traction control systems, and it earned a nice writeup in the VDEG. You have no good idea what combination of things the truck is doing to get you traction and keep you safe, but it seems to work well. Along with Hill Ascent and Decent, the addition of a lot of ground clearance from the air suspension and the option of comprehensive skid plates from the Off-Road Adventure Group II puts recent Grand Cherokees real close to the top of the factory-ready off-roading SUVs/

agreed.

muddyluxury

Observer
I have had, driven and wheeled every iteration of the Grand Cherokee. I have always had the V8 and the full time 4wd systems. Out of the box they are fantastic machines. I have a 2012 Overland, which admittedly I bought for the interior color and style, the QL is a bonus.

I love to fish, hike, camp, and nature photography. With the QL and QD that Jeep gets me anywhere I want to go. If you want to get twisty in the rocks, or bog the mud - it is not the Rig for you. If you want to tool around unimproved roads, and get to and fro in comfort and 20+ mpg get the GC

dnellans

Adventurer
we were very close to pulling the trigger on a GC overland with the quadralift+diesel about 6 months ago. we drove a pentastar 3.6 with steel coils and really liked it, found a diesel+quadralift and thought it drove like a total boat. when your wife complains about the ride from the passenger seat you know that something is goofy with it. we drove a second one that seemed to have the same issue. certainly possible we drove 2 that both had airride problems making them handle strangely. that was such a turnoff for us we decided to buy something else but loved the GC aside from that. definitely go drive one if you haven't, i think you'll be impressed. the 8 speed tranny is very smooth and fast shifting, puts the tranny in our old 4runner and vw tiguan to shame

Jeepnout

Okay cool, yeah I saw one at the dealer when I was looking at the Cherokee Trailhawk when I saw the GC Overland I was wondering if it really had the capabilities of a lite overland rig, or was the name just for show.

dnellans

Adventurer
when we were shopping we viewed it as the upscale version of a 4-runner, equally (probably more) capable in stock form, but less upgradable in terms of aftermarket because the people buying it aren't the same as those looking into tacomas/4runners for aftermarket bumpers/skids/etc in general.

Jason911

Adventurer
we were very close to pulling the trigger on a GC overland with the quadralift+diesel about 6 months ago. we drove a pentastar 3.6 with steel coils and really liked it, found a diesel+quadralift and thought it drove like a total boat.

Finding a diesel with coils is neigh on impossible. I ordered mine - just for the reasons you listed - with just 4 additional options beyond the diesel.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I'm glad this topic came up. In a couple of years I'd like to make my Power Wagon my work and hunting vehicle, and find something a little better on fuel with a softer ride for my daily driver. I've always wanted a JGC, but I need my truck. I've done a lot of debate on the air suspension, and the diesel versus gas options to. It's nice to see that the JGC is a feasible option. I'm just not sure how many options I need to pay for (the adaptive cruise scares the hell out of me, and I'm concerned about the reliability of the air ride suspension once the warranty is out). I look forward to seeing other opinions on the JGC.

dnellans

Adventurer
in terms of SUV usable cargo capacity the 4Runner blows the JGC away, but the JGC is the best of anything diesel. The VW Touareg drives super well but lost low range in the USA years ago and is more luxury vehicle than even softroader anymore.

Terex

Adventurer
We have a '14 JGC Overland diesel with Quadra lift and ORII package. I bought the diesel to tow our off-road capable trailer and still be able to park it in our heated garage. We love it. Have pulled the trailer over mtn passes in NM, CO and NV/CA. It's fine for fire road type driving, but I'm going to get the Mopar off-road wheels and light truck tires in the spring. I may also add the Mopar rock rails. Look at jeep garage.org for lots of information.

The quadra lift if great, but bottoms out easily at the highest setting. It's a tradeoff - it drops down low for interstate travel and entering/exiting but you have about 11" of clearance if needed at the high setting. Traction in the snow is amazing. The vehicle self-levels when towing and rated to tow up to 7,200 lbs. It tows our boxy, 3,000 lb. OR trailer like it isn't there.

Weeds

Adventurer
We bought the Limited instead of the Overland because it seemed the Overland package was comfort, cosmetic, computer controlled extras, not additional offroad capability. We have not been off road yet because we just purchased the rig the first of February. Too much snow in Eastern Washington.

I thought about a 4runner but I needed the power of the diesel. Also with the diesel I do not need to carry extra fuel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online