My 1999 XJ build thread

mtlove91

Damn, I'm really liking it. Still missing it everyday. Mostly the tires. I really liked those tires.

Here's my new XJ. As you can see, it's not a whole lot different than the old one.

Do you still have those tow hooks?

81257cd6c3ffd4ab1c82d75a523ecde1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanEG

Observer
Damn, I'm really liking it. Still missing it everyday. Mostly the tires. I really liked those tires.

Here's my new XJ. As you can see, it's not a whole lot different than the old one.

Do you still have those tow hooks?

Nice XJ Todd! It looks a little taller though :) I really like the tires too, when I eventually move up to 33's someday, I'll probably pick up another set. I still have the tow hooks, rear hitch, and bumpers. Shoot me a text message if you need anything. Do you happen to have an extra roof rack? Thanks!

mtlove91

Nice XJ Todd! It looks a little taller though :) I really like the tires too, when I eventually move up to 33's someday, I'll probably pick up another set. I still have the tow hooks, rear hitch, and bumpers. Shoot me a text message if you need anything. Do you happen to have an extra roof rack? Thanks!

I lost all my saved numbers. Text me
If you can. Trade my roof rack for the tow hooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanEG

Observer
So far, the Jeep is doing good. The Alternator went out on me so I decided to upgrade from 117amp to 136amp from a 2000 Dodge Durango 5.2L 318. The Oreilly's part number is ULT | Part # 05-0323 if anyone is interested. The 99 XJ has the 2pin connector that matches the 2000 Durango 5.2. This particular part number is a little bit larger than the OEM 117amp so I had to radius both mounting brackets with a grinder. Since my intentions are to add a 9500lb winch in the future, the additional amps could be useful. One other thing, the pulley is slightly larger, so I opted to swap my over my OEM pulley from the failed alternator. With more amperage, I needed to add better power/ground cables and an ANL fuse. I found a "Big 3" upgrade kit on clearance from a local stereo shop with 250amp ANL fuse holder, fuse, and 0 guage wire. The lugs were kinda cheap, so I opted to buy some nice copper 0 guage lugs on Amazon.

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

cleanEG

Observer
After that project was complete, I needed to address the leaking rear main seal. A good friend of mine had access to a lift so we put the Jeep in the air, removed the oil pan and replaced the rear main seal and oil pan seal. Since we had time, we also removed the front carrier, installed a Spartan locker, pressed on a new set of bearings and reassembled. I then installed the RuffStuff dana 30 cover I bought a couple months ago. When the axles were out, I noticed the U-Joints were wore out, so that's been added to the "to-do" list. Next will be a new cooling fan shroud and valve cover gasket. I have a small oil leak from the valve cover but thankfully the rear main seal cleaned up most of the oil leaks. Soon I will have a drip-free jeep!

DSC_0106.jpg

96inline6

Observer
nice jeep. i have a 96 that has a similar to do list. parts are awaiting install when i get a chance since it s my dd.

cleanEG

Observer
Another update -- Added a BlueSea Fuse box for all the accessories and a new 13" Trailmaster LED light bar. The KC lights were not adding much to my LED truck lites so I figured why not throw an led light bar in there. So far so good, it compliments the headlights well.

0314161547b_HDR.jpg

0314161547_HDR.jpg

cleanEG

Observer
I had some cooling issues too and found that the plug for the electric fan was not seated properly, so a few zip ties solved that problem and the electric fan comes on when it should. In addition, I added a fan shroud to the mechanical fan which should help direct air flow to the radiator.

cleanEG

Observer
I installed the front locker and new carrier bearings in the front HP dana 30 a few weeks ago. At the time I noticed the pinion seal was leaking and the u-joints in the axles had seen better days. Figured it was time to start rebuilding the front axle with new pinion seal, yoke, and u-joints. I started with the drive shaft u-joints, center ball yoke, pinion seal and front yoke. All spicer 1310x u-joints and 1310 yoke.

I'll have to do the front axles another day. I noticed some play in the pinion bearings so I might as well replace the pinion bearings and shims when I do the front axles. I have to drain the diff fluid and pull the carrier assembly back out, so it's better to do the axles then.

Pressing in the new center ball and bearing assembly:

0318161431_HDR.jpg

Newly rebuilt front drive shaft:

0318161530_HDR.jpg

cleanEG

Observer
I actually took the stock one out and rebuilt it myself. Part of the process, I repainted it with hi-temp black paint :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94